• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Australia's health at a glance: We're fat, depressed and battling cholesterol

there is also the issue that cholesterol lowering drugs (statins) are widely over prescribed.

A lot of people taking them

a) don't need them/do not benefit from them at all and

b) have been prescribed them as a panacea to lifestyle changes.

easier to pop a pill than to get moving and eat better/less/whatever.

Seems people are generally much more sedentary and stressed. A nasty combo. Add in poor diet choices (whatever that might mean to an individual) and it's not pretty.

Another issue is that we as a society are now a lot wealthier, in the past only the rich could afford it get fat, for example, everyday middle class workers only ever got a hit of sugar as a special treat on special occasions, some never got to taste it.

Today as our general average wealth in western countries is higher then ever, everyone can afford to get fat. It will only get worse as we prosper unless awareness is increased.
It's already starting, local councils issue magnet food balance charts to stick on fridges, it's a small step, but in the right direction.

Another issue is that we as a society are now a lot wealthier, in the past only the rich could afford it get fat, for example, everyday middle class workers only ever got a hit of sugar as a special treat on special occasions, some never got to taste it.

Today as our general average wealth in western countries is higher then ever, everyone can afford to get fat. It will only get worse as we prosper unless awareness is increased.
It's already starting, local councils issue magnet food balance charts to stick on fridges, it's a small step, but in the right direction.

In Australia it's the less wealthy that have higher rates of obesity.

But yes overall we are more wealthy and food is a lot cheaper.

It's a real problem.
Not only do we have this obesity problem but we also have the "skinny unhealthy".

I cannot see any solution for the future, it will get worse.

We are a society of wanting results now.
My daughter, who is a PT, tells me her customers are asking for diet advise, but not willing to pay for it.

Mow your own lawn
Polish your own car
Paint your own fence
Don't sit on the coach after a workout, move around.

These are just some of the things that need to be done.

Young blokes come on this forum and want to squat 200kg overnight with stupid looking diets and ideas, it's madness.

You build muscle by lifting a lot of weight for a lot of reps over a lot of years.

The irony of modern society, we have more knowledge and information regarding our health and diet now than at any other time and yet we are at our fattest and unhealthiest than any other time.
It's a conundrum.

The irony of modern society, we have more knowledge and information regarding our health and diet now than at any other time and yet we are at our fattest and unhealthiest than any other time.
It's a conundrum.

True, but many will not look for this type of info.
I think it needs to be in your face to the point where it's hard to ignore.
Something similar to the effect of the anti smoking or drink driving adds, something drastic that will shock people into awareness.

Compared to many countries around the globe, life is good in Austalia, we have a whinge but we also have it easy here. It is this quality of life that make it so easy to shorten it.

It's a conundrum.

This is truly amazing.

And the answer is in there (your statement).

Don't think just do.

I reckon it has to do with a few things
Information overload
The availability of food today
And the convenience of shops being open 7 days a week.

I reckon it has to do with a few things
Information overload
The availability of food today
And the convenience of shops being open 7 days a week.

Agree. And people are lazy. Easier to just do nothing and blame your genetics or whatever for being fat.

No studies need to be done to know we are a fat, lazy nation - it comes down to people being lazy, weak minded and bad information i.e low fat yogurt + a bowl of fruit = healthy - no it doesnt you might aswell eat a mars bar.

The biggest thing is simply being lazy and weak minded - I think alot of people deep down know even low fat yogurt and fruit isnt really the best but they will eat that to justifie what they are doing.

My diet isnt perfect but if I need to drop weight or whatever I can flick that switch and focus myself - I was 120kgs as a 14 yr old and on my own lost 40kgs in the off-season between rugby seasons from 14-15 - I went back to rugby training and no1 knew who I was...

I remeber rocking up and the coach saying hey whats your name and I laughed and he said whats your issue, do you want to do sprints? I said its Joel - he nearly shit himself....

I have bulked, I have cut - I have done everything in between - people need to grow some balls and focus themselves.

Australia as a nation is one of the softest in the world in alot of respects...

It's not hard to do something about it.

And the right way.

I think gastric bands etc should be banned.

Every healthy person starts out at a reasonable weight as a child. The ensuing years of stuffing there pie hole are what changes them to fatties. This is not limited to any race/sex or nationality.

I was a manchild hahaha

About 5'9-5'10 - 118-120kgs at 14 - U15 rugby season I was around 79-80 odd kgs

I remember I weighed myself at the starting point when I lost my weight - I could of been heavier than that at any given point - thats just the last heasiest weight I remeber - never weighed myself until I started dropping weight....

Took about 6 months - was doing 1,2,3 hour cardio sessions a day...

I have been anorexic (around 40 kg) at 5 foot 10

and super morbidly obese (175 kg ) at same height.

I laugh when people say "Oh, but I was born big" - yeah that's right every fat baby is over 100kg and mums survived the pregnancies somehow.

2a8lpq1.jpg

Last edited:
I think one general issue is that idle entertainment like a TV/PC is more interesting than people going out to do anything else