• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Attempt Selection for Raw Powerlifters

Nice read. Relevant to my interests.

What do you think about skipping attempts if you think youve maxed out on your second lift? Say you squat 100 for your second attempt for a small pb and you barely make the lift as it was harder than you thought. Should you still give a 3rd lift a go or call it and focus on your next lifts?

I basically only have novices, so for them it's simple.

Whatever was your last work weight for 5s, that is your opener.
On squats if your opener is under 100kg you then go +5kg for your 2nd, and +5kg for 3rd. If over 100kg, then +10, +10.
On bench it's +2.5kg for each attempt for the women, and +5 for the men.
On deadlift it's as for squats.

Obviously we vary for individuals but those are the guidelines.

My lifters typically end up with 8/9 with this. I like aiming for 9/9, success has momentum.

Sometimes my lifters ignore me. B had done 71kg on bench in a previous meet, she wanted to hit 72.5kg at Nationals. She did 65 which she got, then 72.5kg. She said, "I want to have 2 chances to do 72.5." I explained that she was more likely to get 72.5 if she went 65, 70 and THEN 72.5, than if she went 65, 72.5. Because success has momentum. She ignored me, got 65 and then failed twice on 72.5.

A while back there was an article where the writers had looked at a bunch of meet results, more than 10,000 lifts. They went statistical. And they said that if the person failed their first squat attempt, 1/2 the time they went on to bomb; if they failed their 2nd, 2/3 bombed. The squat in particular I think you need to be conservative with, since it's the start of the meet and everyone's so nervous, lots are lifting at this site for the first time, have never used a monolift before or been judged, etc. Luckily PL meets are fucking slow and so by the time they get to bench they're no longer nervous, just bored. Still, bench seems to see the most bombs, I think many coaches and lifters don't appreciate you don't have as much in you for bench as for other lifts. Then by deadlifts it's "sprint to the finish" time and they can really smash it.

The idea is to create a situation where the person keeps succeeding, this pushes them along and they... keep succeeding.

I've done it in the past. It really depends on your goals and how mentally fired up you can get. I'd normally be inclined to skip the third and move onto the next lift. If it's the deadlift I'd say try anyway.

Yes, good read...and more or less what I went through at the Perth novice comp.I selected my openers based on what I can triple. My 2nd's were roughly 2.5-5kg short of my current (but recent) PB's. 3rd's were new PB attempts if the 2nd's were successful.

Here is an article by Bob Takano about a similar thing for weightlifting, it's not how to choose weights but how the coach should be with their athlete at the meet. Basically he says, don't over-praise or over-critique their lifts, just give a simple cue to focus on, and once they're finished all attempts use the energy they have to focus them on the next meet or training cycle.

I normally go 89/96/100% [MENTION=16654]PTCCanberra[/MENTION];

I am competing tomorrow and my attempts will be 190/105/240, 210/115/260 220/120/270. You can see I like to go a little lighter on the very first opening squat though. I don't squat enough yet to get plenty of wrapped warm-ups in so I will do 150 as my last raw then add wraps for 170 as the last warm-up so I like to go too easy for my second rep in wraps