• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are you ready to lift?

PTC

Tonight at PTC I was having a discussion with Gawain, and I read a similar topic in Sticky's journal.

Now I understand training cycles, I base a lot of my training on them, but I'm confident that any of my lifters can perform well at any stage of their particular cycle.

On the weekend, Gareth, Jack, James and Dave lifted while at different stages of their program. Gareth and Jack hit PB's on every lift, James and Dave were thereabouts.

Max pulled 230kg the night before the DL comp, Alen benched 130kg at a whim.

I understand the Elite may need perfect timing to perform at 100%, but I truly dont feel this is the case for most.

I watched Blake get changed beside a platform then step on and smash an opener, zero warm up, at Nats. I have spoken to Blake in the past about being mentally ready to lift.

Max feels he can pretty much hit his PB's anytime in the gym. I know when I trained 20 years ago, I could hit any PB, any session I wanted, but I didnt really train in cycles.

I'm not for one minute suggesting cycles is not the best way to train, it is, I'm suggesting you shouldnt be weaker at varying stages during cycles.

How do you guys feel about this?

I would say mental attitude has alot to do with it more than where someone is in a cycle. Some days you haven't eaten right or gotten enough sleep and you just can't perform at your best. That's what I've noticed anyway. Not alot to do with the cycle and where you are in it, as you've said.

Ghosty is a perfect example, jumps in his car or fly's to Vic, lifts near enough to his PB's at the drop of a hat.

I'm suggesting you shouldnt be weaker at varying stages during cycles.

I agree with this

however what about this scenario

say a person does 5x5 squat for 3 months. hes never done a 1rm test before

maybe starts at 140kg, works his way up to 160kg for 5x5.
So 160 is the heaviest hes had on his back.

then out of the blue attempts a 220kg squat. thats +60 on his back hes never experienced before.

Would that be wise?

Of course not. Your 1RM is the most weight you've moved for one rep in that exercise. Projected 1RMs are horse shit.

JD has made a very good point.
The conversation you saw in my log was to do with the state titles and the nationals only one month apart i presume?
I feel confident in saying that I could go 90-95% of my 1rm, even equal my 1rm if I've been eating well, on any day of the week. To break them though, is a different story.
Personally, when it comes to comps, I need cycles. Not only for the strength side of things, but more importantly (as gareer has said) the mental side of things. I know in my mind I've done everything I can to prepare for the day, and I've worked my arse off for the last 12 weeks, and I deserve nothing less than a PB.

Also recovery is important too. I've had nats in aug, my comp in oct, bench comp in oct, push pull in dec. That's a long time for my skinny ass to be training at and above 85-90%. Now I'm having a 2 month break because I'm stuffed.

They are my views. Maybe I'm just weak....

I'm still a novice so yes, I could hit a PR or close to it every session.

(And I currently am with squats for reps.)

But I don't go for a 1RM every session because it would be pointless.

I doubt I'll taper or specifically prepare for ProRaw1. I'll probably keep training, maybe lift a bit light on the Friday before, and just do my best on the day where I will probably break my current PR's. If there was a comp on tomorrow I think I could PR my squat by a few kg, or at the very least match it.

One of the benefits of being a novice I guess. I'm sure this will all be different once I move on to weekly or monthly programming.

Jeremys post says it all, though I'm not sure he realizes

If you have added 20kg to your 5 rep max, then surely you would expect to now have a higher arm

That is exactly the point I am making

Are you not progressively lifting heavier weights in the gym

The guys at the top like Steve etc guys that have been competing for years, maybe they need to peak. The fact is the majority on here havent even been competing for a year

I guess I only see how my guys are training

Obviously you can't maintain that effort indefinitely, but I consider most competing litters on here as novices

I see your point and i agree with it

re reading my example i see its flawed I forgot the guy would be warming up for that big single.

not just walk out of the street and load a 220kg barbell and attempt to squat it

maybe i should stay out of intellectual conversations lol

You should never be weaker but you may need lower %'s, volume at some points in your training...If a lifter for example has a 8 week cycle of training every week he/she should be stronger but in some workouts may not be lifting more weight....its all about finding that balance to peak..

Any good lifter should be able to either hit a current max or better that in any session...should they? No unless the program calls for it.

And in regards to good old Blake - he was running abit late for that comp and was lucky to get his 1st lift off the platform lol...everyone should be able to hit a opener with no warm up - an opener should be pretty much a warm up lol

Last edited:
I cycle my training dependent on meets. I don't really think I'm weaker at any point but by peaking for a meet I feel I'm both more physically and mentally prepared to break PRs.

PTC said that Max hit a 1rm the night before the deadlift comp - is this a good idea to be lifting at your best the next day? - No - but its an example to show that you should be able to hit 1rm's every sessions and be ready to do so.

But saying that as Sherro said cycling your training so your better recovered/rested and ready to lift is always going to be the best for an athlete to have the best chance to perform at 100%...smart training, should hopefully have you at 100% on the day...you should never leave it upto "I can hit 1rms whenever I train/compete"

I agree with this.

I can hit PB's, or very close to them anytime, even having done no training at all for 3 or 4 months.

Strong mental focus helps alot here.

Big fella, Max wasnt competing, nor did her ever plan to compete, so no cycle.

Thats my point, he pulled that weight just because he could.

for the record, we dont deadlift for 7 days before a meet lol

Joel brought up another good point, openers should be warm ups.

Seldom do I see a novice bomb at a comp, in fact I havent.

I've seen many experienced lifters with perfectly timed training cycles bomb quite often.

There is a very strong WA PL who from memory has bombed in 3 of his last 4 comps. Now he is pushing the envelope and moving some incredible iron, but he misses his openers more often than makes them.

I follow his journal, and one day its going to click for him and he will get the numbers he deserves, but he is not capable of hitting his opener, let alone his PB on any given day. Granted he is attempting more weight than most of the lifting population will ever attempt.

Personally, I dont think thats the best way to be, but each to their own.

He is benching more than most will ever deadlift though, and all his trouble comes from getting the shirt to work.

I agree with making your opener easy though. I've always stuck to your rule. Open with a number you can triple. Great way to kill any nerves you have on te day :).

The arguement was whether i could lift @ %90 any day of the week.

If we take my last comp numbers....

332.5, 227.5, 340

which would mean

299.25, 204.75, 306 any day of the week

I train with alot less volume than one would assume - contradictory to strength training.

My body wouldnt handle it. The reality is im not trying to go %90 any day of the week....im trying to go %100 at a comp once or twice a year when it counts....just my thoughts