• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are kettlebells necessary for bodybuilding?

DKD

Private Dancer
A lot of people here use KBs as part of their training regime. I see the PTC gyms use them with their clients a fair bit, so it seems that they definitely have a place if your goals are related to strength training.

If you train purely to improve your appearance, however, are they necessary? Are they useful under these circumstances? Do they add anything substantial to a bodybuilder's workout program that barbells, dumbbells, cables etc don't already cover?

I've never done any KB training, so was just curious whether I'm missing out on a lot.

Hi DKD:)
I used to run a KB workshop with a group of ladies, we used them for toning and cardio.
While they do build muscle mass, probably wouldn't say necessary for bodybuilding, but definately strength building and conditioning.
PTC Syd has KBs at 64kgs and 80kgs that I've only used for UDLs (then you always get that one or two persons who try to do a KB swing with an 80kg bell *cough *cough - Tim and Sherro)
OK now I'm just tired rambling.......

As Deep said purely from a BBing stand point i dnt see them as being necessary, how many KB's do you see in some hardcore gyms or how many KB exercises do you see on the BBing DVD's the top pros have bought out?

I think you can get everything you need to build solid muscle from db's and bb's, so are they NECESSARY? NO, but could they add something, MAYBE....

The key to building muscle and strength, which in my opinion go hand in hand is progressive resistance, that is either done by increasing the weight, a rep or both every workout.

Before the adjustable barbell there were fixed weighted barbells and kettle bells, the adjustable barbell revolutionized weight training.

The KB is limited in its use, but the shape allows one to do some exercises the you cannot do with a dumbbell.

I you have some mobility issues, then a kettle bell seems to have some benefits over some barbell exercises, but adjustable dumbbells are just as good if not better.

The key to building muscle and strength, which in my opinion go hand in hand is progressive resistance, that is either done by increasing the weight, a rep or both every workout.

Before the adjustable barbell there were fixed weighted barbells and kettle bells, the adjustable barbell revolutionized weight training.

The KB is limited in its use, but the shape allows one to do some exercises the you cannot do with a dumbbell.

I you have some mobility issues, then a kettle bell seems to have some benefits over some barbell exercises, but adjustable dumbbells are just as good if not better.

This.

Kettlebells have some uses but the number one thing kettlebells are good at is they rob you of a lot of cash when you buy them.

This
I like kettlebells for olympic lifts because the dumbbells in my gym don't have rotating plates and that's a great way to rip your shoulder off

I have some kb's at home in my home gym hardly ever use them.

I think they are more of a conditioning tool rather than a body building/muscle building tool.

Good for HIIT style conditioning workouts not much more than that IMO.

I think they are more of a conditioning tool rather than a body building/muscle building tool.

If you have enough of them they can be both.

May be, I only have four, and won't be getting any more.

But the original question was, are they necessary, the answer to that would be a definite NO.

If the question was, could they be usefull I would say YES.

If you have enough of them they can be both.

Agree with Little Hammer ... in my own humble experience, I've found them to also be great for building strength if you use them properly for that purpose and not bad for rehab, especially shoulders!

Just because they can be useful for building strength and for rehab does not make them necessary for body building.

Kettlebells are great, but they aren't essential for bodybuilding.

DKD, you also said "improve how you look". They will definitely help with this.

Hi rep swings and udl's off of blocks will melt fat like nothing else.

Remember some people think you dont need to do squats.

Last edited by a moderator: