• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Are cheat reps ok?

Using momentum is like taking a drug; in its right dosage, its benefits far outweigh its harmful side effects. One needs to know which dosage works best for him in order to make improvements safely. A tree that is rigid and stiff would blow over in strong winds. It'd be better to be flexible (up to a point) and bend with the wind in order to correct itself. In a nutshell, I see its strength in its flexibility.

Fadi.

Does anyone who hits a new bench press record ever hit it first with a little 'chest bounce'? Usually the first time or two when I hit a new PR on bench press that's the only way I'll make it, and it usually helps me to improve on it so the next time or time after I can get it properly with cleaner form.

Does anyone who hits a new bench press record ever hit it first with a little 'chest bounce'? Usually the first time or two when I hit a new PR on bench press that's the only way I'll make it, and it usually helps me to improve on it so the next time or time after I can get it properly with cleaner form.
Yes That Is Perfectly Normal. We Are Humans And We All Need To Feel Self Assured And Confident Mentally Before Our Brain Gives Us That Green Light To Go Ahead,..Especially Into Uncharted Waters..

Fadi.

All that matters is the muscle is stimulated enough to cause growth
Can you do this with cheat reps? Yeah

Squats and deadlifts? I dunno how you cheat a squat or a deadlift really. I don't think it's possible. Cheating back exercises will be fine, you can easily get a full contraction of the lats and rhomboids this way. Same with biceps, even if you lift it with your shoulders you can still flex the biceps maximally. Most muscles you can do this just fine. Then apply volume and the growth will happen. If someone says you're not training your shoulders if you only do the top end partial of an overhead press, they are just talking out their ass

Obviously there is the right way to do this and the stupid way. It doesn't mean you can do 1000s of reps with 1" of ROM and a really heavy weight, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone got good results doing this

All that matters is the muscle is stimulated enough to cause growth
Can you do this with cheat reps? Yeah

Squats and deadlifts? I dunno how you cheat a squat or a deadlift really. I don't think it's possible. Cheating back exercises will be fine, you can easily get a full contraction of the lats and rhomboids this way. Same with biceps, even if you lift it with your shoulders you can still flex the biceps maximally. Most muscles you can do this just fine. Then apply volume and the growth will happen. If someone says you're not training your shoulders if you only do the top end partial of an overhead press, they are just talking out their ass

Obviously there is the right way to do this and the stupid way. It doesn't mean you can do 1000s of reps with 1" of ROM and a really heavy weight, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone got good results doing this

This is is right, and well stated.

as I said, all I do is occasionally do this with curls, after the last fatigue rep, I'll swing the bar up and really slowly lower it, about six seconds, oh the pain.
i do curls as the last exercise of a full body routine.
but other than that, I agree that using a cheating method is pretty useless, although a limited ROM in certain exercise could be useful to get through sticking points, for power lifters.

Squats and deadlifts? I dunno how you cheat a squat or a deadlift really. I don't think it's possible.

Well you can't really. I suppose squat you could just ego lift and do 1/4 range of motion. I'm sure we have all seen THAT person. Deadlifts you can't cheat. You can have shit form, but if its up, its up.

Shit that's a good question.

i think the best way to measure progression is using the adage of weight on the bar using reps in a set that are identical to the next in relation to cadence, you see so many speed up the cadence or shorten te rom to get an extra rep thinking this is progression -this is flawed thinking.

this is the "cheating" but only ones self

Last edited:
I'd feel like I was cheating myself - it's like today on my 5RM bench set - one of the reps didn't touch chest and pause, so I did it again and couldn't count it mentally. Same as when I'm not sure if a squat was deep enough, or a hitched deadlift.

I'm fine with using a bit of momentum on the end of a BB curl set though.

but it's not like your body went
"sorry, no muscle stimulus on that rep"

Exactly, if anything it means your ending your set having pushed slightly harder because you used a couple of cheat reps to get a bit more burn at the end before stopping.

So we are talking about reps on the last set or even the very last rep? I thought the topic was just cheat reps in general. Like the bro-dude working out in jeans doing swinging dumbbell bicep curls.

but it's not like your body went
"sorry, no muscle stimulus on that rep"

my obsessive compulsiveness won't let me count it, I'm sure there is still muscle stimulus, especially from overloading it like that. If you're cheating for entire sets, I would think that the weight might be too heavy, unless you're just giving it a little bit of momentum at the start (i.e. heavy OHP or BB curl)