• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Any suitable 'every day' exercises?

DKD

Private Dancer
We've all heard about the concept of giving time for a muscle to grow, and the importance of not overtraining. I'm interested in identifying any exceptions to this rule, in cases where training the same body part every day would still lead to impressive muscle growth.

There was discussion in the recent bicycle thread about how cyclists have great quads and calves. I'm sure Olympic gymnasts are doing the same movements everyday, and these guys look terrific.

Recently I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that a beastly back should be the number one priority for me to get a top physique. I've been thinking about doing pullups every day to help with this goal....just do hundreds of pullups every week. Would this be a stupid idea, or based on the above examples does it have merit? The stress on the CNS isn't there, like with deads and squats.

Are there any other exercises that can be done everyday and yield good results?

Have a read of Building the Gymnastic Body by Coach Sommer. He does programming differently to bodylifters and powerbuilders. It's still progressive resistance...

Squatting everyday is easily possible. It is also possible to deadlift much more frequent than people think.

Overtraining is so overblown. Most people will never train anywhere near hard enough to come close to overtrain.

probably something i would do daily if i could be bothered.

Pull ups + Dips.

No idea if it would overtrain you though. Tbh i would just stick to doing it how your doing now. either once a week split or 2-3 times a week.

BTW my opinion, if your talking beastly back, you need width. Pull ups, chin ups have not done anything for my width. Neither did dumbbell rows and other form of rows, the only thing that seemed to work was barbell rows. Pull ups, dumbbell rows seemed to add thickness to my back.

Last edited:
It is all about efficiency in the end. If total size is your goal it is more efficient to give yourself adequate rest. If strength over your bodyweight is your goal then training more frequently would be more efficient. You can also train bodyweight exercises more frequently due to less neural overload compared to externally loaded exercises.

Being overtrained is all to do with your total stress levels. Obviously an Oly lifter with no other job could train more frequently than his competitor who works full time as well. Everything is accumulated in the end so you can't say people won't over train as they don't work hard enough in the gym because you never know their outside the gym stressors. You also don't know their food intake and recovery ability or techniques so a blanket "you wont overtrain" statement should never be used.

yeh man, pull up every day. chad waterbury has some stuff about pull ups every day on tnation. strength villain also recommends doing pushups and pullups throughout the day. you can really over train on bodyweight stuff.

Ive also heard about some bodybuilders training a lagging muscle every session until its brought up. so you could start every session with 50 chins.

strengthvillion on pull ups

One thing I've noticed in the past with bodyweight exercises is that my performance improves if I have a break of, say, 4 days as compared to 2 days. I've noticed this with dips and, when I first started training, pushups. Doing them every second day my progress was steady, but when I waited an extra couple of days I could often do several more reps than the previous session.

However for the purpose I mentioned in the OP, I'm not overly concerned about PBs, just muscular back development.....if doing pullups every day would accelerate this I'd be keen to do it.

I used to do push ups every day, initially for about 10 sets throughout the day. Started out only able to do about 5. Got bored when I could do 150 or so in a single set.

But I don't think there's any exercises you can do daily that will significantly help muscular growth by doing them that readily. Daily training leads to very improved performance, but I don't think it has any special benefits for building muscle mass. In saying that, I don't think it'll necessarily hinder growth, either.

Have you tried breathing?

Try beating some metal with a 10lbs hammer over an anvil for a couple hours a day, should get you some forearms.
Be careful of tendonitis though.

Squatting everyday is easily possible. It is also possible to deadlift much more frequent than people think.

Overtraining is so overblown. Most people will never train anywhere near hard enough to come close to overtrain.

Problem is neuromuscular fatigue not the misled themselves.

On a serious note 2hr sex sessions daily

Problem is neuromuscular fatigue not the misled themselves.

On a serious note 2hr sex sessions daily

Been deadlifting to max 3-4 times a week of late and since I started doing it have been hitting PBs pretty much each time. It's not gonna last forever but it is really showing me a lot more is possible than what people think.

What volume and weight are you using ?

Pavel's PTTP program is deadlift and overhead press every day but only 2 sets with the second set being 90% of the first.

Basically just work up to a 5,3 or 1 rep max on the deadlift or a similar deadlift variation, eg rack pulls.

Been doing this 3-4 times a week for about a month now and only missed a PB once so far.

Basically just work up to a 5,3 or 1 rep max on the deadlift or a similar deadlift variation, eg rack pulls.

Been doing this 3-4 times a week for about a month now and only missed a PB once so far.

Yes but remember that the overall volume is staying low that's why you can do it currently

Yes but remember that the overall volume is staying low that's why you can do it currently

Obviously. That's why I'm doing it that way. All I really care is that it has got my deadlift moving up fast after a couple months stall.

To the original question you can do pretty much any exercise daily. Like Christian pointed out you will have to drop the volume for a start then you can slowly build it up.