• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

another diet help thread

milketc

Hi, just hoping to get some feedback on how i can improve my diet
Currently doing starting strength, haven't been to the gym for around 5 months due to a back injury from poor squat form probably from trying to lift too much due to me not eating enough. Thought i might try and eat properly over the uni holidays considering its a lot more difficult when you having uni during the day and work at night

Workout A
3x5 squat
3x5 bench
3x5 deadlift
3xf dips

Workout B
3x5 squat
3x5 military press
3x5 rows
3xf chinups

A typical gym day would consist of:

10:00am breakfast 4x eggs, 100g bacon, 2 slices of bread, 1-2 glasses of milk
11:00am protein shake
-----gym-----
12:00pm protein shake + 1-2 glasses of milk
1:30pm supermarket roast chicken + veges + 1-2 glasses of milk
4:00pm 95g can of tuna + 2 slices of bread + 1-2 glasses of milk

Being a uni student working in hospitality i often start work at 5/6pm:

If working till 10/11 ill take probably a chicken/cheese/lettuce sandwich + banana then drink milk when i get home
If working till 12/1 ill probably buy a chicken + chips + veges meal and bring a peanut butter sandwich + banana for later
Having a coffee machine at work ill probably make 2-3 coffees/mochas if im hungry/bored

1-2 glasses of milk and maybe some cashews before bed

non-lifting days are similar without the shakes

might snack on cashews throughout the day
weigh 69.5kgs about 175cm tall

Some questions:
Would i be better off just having something small + protein shake before the gym and then having breakfast when i get back? Would my lifting be somewhat impaired from not having eaten much/any food?

Do i have dips/chinups in the right workout? Does it even matter?

Im looking to gain weight but put on minimal fat although i don't care too much as long as I'm actually progressing this time. My cooking skills are lacking at best.

Thanks in advance.

Get rid of the bread and replace it with brown rice or pasta, and add some oats to your post workout shake and breakfast. Personally I think breakfast should be the most calorie rich meal of the day, because you haven't eaten in 8 hours. Try 2-3 eggs, 60g oats, banana and milk all in the blender.

After 4pm until you finish work you are only having one meal, and it seems to be just a sandwich, which if your trying to get bigger and stronger ain't going to cut it. This meal should also be big, so some chicken/tuna veges and rice/pasta would be ideal. Make the before bed meal milk, 30gm protein powder and a handful of pitted prunes.

Get rid of the bread and replace it with brown rice or pasta, and add some oats to your post workout shake and breakfast. Personally I think breakfast should be the most calorie rich meal of the day, because you haven't eaten in 8 hours. Try 2-3 eggs, 60g oats, banana and milk all in the blender.

After 4pm until you finish work you are only having one meal, and it seems to be just a sandwich, which if your trying to get bigger and stronger ain't going to cut it. This meal should also be big, so some chicken/tuna veges and rice/pasta would be ideal. Make the before bed meal milk, 30gm protein powder and a handful of pitted prunes.

thanks for the feedback.

I dont have a blender at the moment.. but i guess i could look into buying one.
The problem is at work if im working a short shift 5-6hrs then i dont get a break to eat a huge meal nor is there a microwave to heat it up at one of my jobs. So i kind of need something that can be eaten cold.

Any thoughts on breakfast before or after the gym? or both?

Turkey mine 4.99 for 500grams add curry powder salt pepper cook till brown put in container.. Eat.

I eat 1kg of it a day :)

you sure do like your milk......clearly no lactose problems!

Maybe try like a cup or two of cottage cheese before bed as an alternative to the milk. And maybe add in a glass or 2 of low sodium V8 vegetable juice also instead of chowing more vegetables - not ideal but it is convienient.

If thats Rippetoes program its not correct. This would probably work better:

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench/Overhead (alternating)
3x8 Bent rows

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x8 Bent rows

2x8 of arm work (curls and skullcrushers) can be added on friday. Dips can also replace skull crushers.

3 sets of sit ups after lifting never hurt anyone either.

Turkey mine 4.99 for 500grams add curry powder salt pepper cook till brown put in container.. Eat.

There's nearly 20gms of fat per 100gms, so at 1kg per day thyat's 100gms of fat just from your turkey.

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, if you are losing fat then that's just fantastic.

I was eating the turkey mince as well but thought I'd better lay off for a while due to the fat content.
Also I see it quite often at $3.99/0.5kg.

Last edited:

Ok, if you are losing fat then that's just fantastic.

I was eating the turkey mince as well but thought I'd better lay off for a while due to the fat content.
Also I see it quite often at $3.99/0.5kg.

sorry, but what is turkey mine?

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to be an asshole about it, i assumed it was mince.. does it become 'mine' when you add curry powder to it? at first i thought it was a typo but then you both said mine instead of mince.. or is mine like a synonym for mince? or slang for mince?

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to be an asshole about it, i assumed it was mince.. does it become 'mine' when you add curry powder to it? at first i thought it was a typo but then you both said mine instead of mince.. or is mine like a synonym for mince? or slang for mince?

866701286_b2b9f6ebd6.jpg

Very perceptive of you mate and well picked up. Yes mine is slang for mince. It used to be a fairly well-known phrase that's thought to have originated from the abattoirs of Mississippi in the 1920s. It came to prominence in one notorious scene in Paul Newman's classic "Cool Hand Luke". These days it's rarely heard outside the deep south of USA.

Very perceptive of you mate and well picked up. Yes mine is slang for mince. It used to be a fairly well-known phrase that's thought to have originated from the abattoirs of Mississippi in the 1920s. It came to prominence in one notorious scene in Paul Newman's classic "Cool Hand Luke". These days it's rarely heard outside the deep south of USA.

lol.
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Hi, just hoping to get some feedback on how i can improve my diet
Currently doing starting strength, haven't been to the gym for around 5 months due to a back injury from poor squat form probably from trying to lift too much due to me not eating enough. Thought i might try and eat properly over the uni holidays considering its a lot more difficult when you having uni during the day and work at night

Workout A
3x5 squat
3x5 bench
3x5 deadlift
3xf dips

Workout B
3x5 squat
3x5 military press
3x5 rows
3xf chinups

A typical gym day would consist of:

10:00am breakfast 4x eggs, 100g bacon, 2 slices of bread, 1-2 glasses of milk
11:00am protein shake
-----gym-----
12:00pm protein shake + 1-2 glasses of milk
1:30pm supermarket roast chicken + veges + 1-2 glasses of milk
4:00pm 95g can of tuna + 2 slices of bread + 1-2 glasses of milk

Being a uni student working in hospitality i often start work at 5/6pm:

If working till 10/11 ill take probably a chicken/cheese/lettuce sandwich + banana then drink milk when i get home
If working till 12/1 ill probably buy a chicken + chips + veges meal and bring a peanut butter sandwich + banana for later
Having a coffee machine at work ill probably make 2-3 coffees/mochas if im hungry/bored

1-2 glasses of milk and maybe some cashews before bed

non-lifting days are similar without the shakes

might snack on cashews throughout the day
weigh 69.5kgs about 175cm tall

Some questions:
Would i be better off just having something small + protein shake before the gym and then having breakfast when i get back? Would my lifting be somewhat impaired from not having eaten much/any food?

Do i have dips/chinups in the right workout? Does it even matter?

Im looking to gain weight but put on minimal fat although i don't care too much as long as I'm actually progressing this time. My cooking skills are lacking at best.

Thanks in advance.

whats your goal ?