• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Am i doing too much or too little on shoulder/arm day?

kindred

dumb-bell press or arnold press
front raises
side raises

seated dumb-bell triceps extensions
cable push downs
skull crushers

alternate biceps curls
hammer curls
preacher curls

Depends on how many sets you are doing per exercise.
3 sets each for the shoulders and 2 sets each for the arms is OK (after warm-ups)

Ok thanks. Also am i getting all the muscles in my arms/shoulders? I know with deltoids you have to attack it from all sorts of angles is there any im missing?

too much for biceps IMO. Sometimes less is more.

I would also throw in a compound movement for triceps like dips or close grip bench press etc instead of one of the ones youve listed as all those are isolation movements.

With the dumbell press how are you getting the weight up in the sitting position without a spotter to hand you one arm's weights? Do you have a good technique where you rest it in on your knees and hoist it up? Otherwise you may not be using enough weight to make it worth your while. An alternative would be the seated military press using your bench with forks (where you do bench press). That way you can go all out and when you fail you lean forward to put the barbell back on the rack.

The military press hits all the delts but the bent over lateral raise could be added also to focus primarily on the rear delts.

hope this helps
Cheers

dumb-bell press or arnold press
front raises
side raises

seated dumb-bell triceps extensions
cable push downs
skull crushers

alternate biceps curls
hammer curls
preacher curls

Front raises, don't your front delts already get smashed with all bench press work?
I would say barbell press is greater than dumbbell press.

For triceps, as Golden Hurricane said, do a compound for your tris, dips or CGBP.

I also thing barbell curls are greater than dumbbell curls, use EZ curl bar is straight bar hurts your limp wrists.
Close grip chins can also do your bi's hard.

I think the volume is about right at 2 working sets per exercise, get rid of front raise and do another set of overhead presses instead.

I prefer 2 sets per exercise too. Sometimes for the finishing isolation movements I will only do 1 set.
EZ curl bar is best for bi's and I find the revolving curl bar (sort of looks like small EZ curl bar) for tricep pushdowns works best and limits strain on the elbow joints.

Im also a big fan of partials to round off a set (after going to failure with full range of motion) on movements where its possible, to squeeze the last remaining bit out. That was one change that I made that made a big impact on the growth i was getting. Recommend it to all.

I would not do triceps pushdowns with any bar , much better a compound movement like cgbp.
partials after failure are not a good Idea after every session , you will burn fast.

If i use a ezy curl bar or a barbell for biceps exercises i tend to get uneven development. One arm is stronger than the other :(

That is true, partials are more taxing on your central nervous sytem and the rest of the body, and therefore proper diet, supplementation and adequate time off is essential.

Kindred, this is the bar, in case you were wondering what the hell i was talking about. Works great for me.

adsense3.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know why but i find it hard to activate my triceps with cable push downs. Thats why i have mostly been doing french press/skull crusher variations.

Thats for the help tho I will def change up what i do on arms/shoulder day based on your suggestions.

amount of sets depends on the intensity as well, and how advanced you are.
I do one rest pause set only to almost all body part.
extensions and close grip bench are far better than cable pushdown IMO.
learn to stretch after , and see how beneficial it really is.