• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Alternatives to Assisted Dips

domo87

ive always struggled with pull ups / chin ups. so i've been using the assisted machine to compensate however this just seemed unnatural. so i thought i would just do 4 reps of however many reps i can and each week would just progressively get stronger. well i ended up straining a neck muscle (the one that stiffens up when you sleep awkwardly, thanks for the descripion deep :D).

the physio recommended that i use a belt with a resistance strap that connects to the bar. i assumed he meant powerbands? so that will take say 15kg and i lift the rest of my body weight.

has anyone heard of such piece of equipment or there is another way to do assisted type pull ups without using the assisted machine?

cheers
Domo

I've trained quite a few guy's for the UK Marines. To pass the potential course you need 6 over-arm pull up's, most of the guy's couldnt even do 1!

My approach was to build upto bodyweight using medium over hand grip on the Lat pull down. Aim for around 3 x 6-8 rep's once a week.

Also aim for 200g+ of protein a day to make sure your eating enough to build sufficient muscle.

eep was meant to say pull ups instead of dips.

cheers for the advice, i actually encorporate 4x8 lat pull downs in my back routine.

it should get easier to do them once i lose some 'fat' weight

How many Chinups can you do?

From that max subtract one rep and work from that number. If it is 1 or 2 work up to either 12-15 sets of one or 10 sets of 2 by adding in one extra set per session. Once you make the max sets then increase the reps for the first set and slowly replace the twos with 3s. From here you are going for a max of about 30 reps total so:

8x4
6x5
5x6
4x7
4x8
3x9
3x10

If you fail you can add in sets of lower numbers to 30 if you want. I usually just try to hit the rep amount each set and if get 1 or 2 less in the last few sets I aim for those next session.

That is probably the first time I have ever seen you link to your shop Adrian (without a direct question to you). You should do it more often get some people buying.better equipment.

Personally though I find if you use assistance once you can already do a rep or two your progress is SIGNIFICANTLY slower than working on non assisted properly (sets like my previous post, eccentrics, partials).

thanks for the tips and link, ill look into that.

i can only do 3 reps, im a little hesitant to jump back in it as ive only recently overcome a neck injury as a result of not using the proper technique on pull ups