• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Alcohol?!?!?

I'm a drinker and I think it's probably the first thing that I would have to stop if I was to train seriously, its got to be the number 1 thing holding me back.

I don't drink during the week but come the weekends Ill have a fair bit. Im not proud of it and every Monday I think "fark why did I do that, next weekend will be different" but its been going on for a long while now.

As an example last week I did a spin class on the monday, HIIT (sprints) tuesday, strength training wednesday, 6.7km run Thurs and then...

Friday, a couple of shots of tequila and a glass of red with the Mrs before jumping on the train to the city for some taste of melbourne food fair thing. Drank an espresso martini (with patron tequila), 2 cups of rekorderlig cider, some spicy vanilla cocktail and a glass of white wine while walking around and tasting food.

Then we went to The Supper Club (wine bar) and the Mrs and i drank a bottle of red before I ordered an extra glass for myself, then home, where I had 1 more glass of red.

Get up on Saturday, hungover, sick, but go to cricket training and sweat it out for 2 hours, before finishing training at 11:30am and having 4 stubbies with the boys (before 1pm).

Sober up in the afternoon and feel pretty crap so just had a couple of vodka cranberry drinks Sat night at home.

Sunday get up feeling okay and go to the gym for strength training and have a good session...go to Hawthorn to watch the PL comp before getting a few bottles of white on the way home and finish up having about 5 glasses of wine between 5pm & 10pm.

Anyone care to suggest why my squat isn't leaping up? Sure you can have a few drinks and get away with it but do it regularly and you'll struggle to make gains once you hit a certain point. A big indicator would be a hangover - that's not your body growing, that's your body and it's organs under severe stress.

Anyway, talking about this has been good, hopefully it'll keep me in check this upcoming weekend...I honestly think if I had a whole month without the booze I'd be so fit I'd be dangerous!

But for me I dont see the point in consuming calories this way as i'd rather eat food.

I had this exact thought on Saturday night. Friend asked if I wanted to "hit the town" and I just thought, waste cals on alcohol and most likely have a shit time anyway or chow down on some seriously epic protein sludge and do my own thing. No brainer :p

Ive fallen off the bandwagon...... again.

I hadnt drank beer all year till the nationals dinner at the end of august.

Ive had another 8 beers since :(.

NO MORE>

I just made the decision that I am not going to drink until I can SOHP what I could pre shoulder injury (caused by drinking).

We never had alcohol in the house when I was a kid.

It fascinated me why people needed to have "bars" in the house.

I do enjoy certain types of alcohol, my dad smoked and unfortunate I was fascinated by it.

img2.jpg

I'm a drinker and I think it's probably the first thing that I would have to stop if I was to train seriously, its got to be the number 1 thing holding me back.

I don't drink during the week but come the weekends Ill have a fair bit. Im not proud of it and every Monday I think "fark why did I do that, next weekend will be different" but its been going on for a long while now.

As an example last week I did a spin class on the monday, HIIT (sprints) tuesday, strength training wednesday, 6.7km run Thurs and then...

Friday, a couple of shots of tequila and a glass of red with the Mrs before jumping on the train to the city for some taste of melbourne food fair thing. Drank an espresso martini (with patron tequila), 2 cups of rekorderlig cider, some spicy vanilla cocktail and a glass of white wine while walking around and tasting food.

Then we went to The Supper Club (wine bar) and the Mrs and i drank a bottle of red before I ordered an extra glass for myself, then home, where I had 1 more glass of red.

Get up on Saturday, hungover, sick, but go to cricket training and sweat it out for 2 hours, before finishing training at 11:30am and having 4 stubbies with the boys (before 1pm).

Sober up in the afternoon and feel pretty crap so just had a couple of vodka cranberry drinks Sat night at home.

Sunday get up feeling okay and go to the gym for strength training and have a good session...go to Hawthorn to watch the PL comp before getting a few bottles of white on the way home and finish up having about 5 glasses of wine between 5pm & 10pm.

Anyone care to suggest why my squat isn't leaping up? Sure you can have a few drinks and get away with it but do it regularly and you'll struggle to make gains once you hit a certain point. A big indicator would be a hangover - that's not your body growing, that's your body and it's organs under severe stress.

Anyway, talking about this has been good, hopefully it'll keep me in check this upcoming weekend...I honestly think if I had a whole month without the booze I'd be so fit I'd be dangerous!

I like your honesty Hirdy. You're gonna have to bite the bullet at some point, don't you think? You can't keep that up, and the training at the same time. The former is obviously counter-productive to the latter.

It's interesting you mention your missus in the drinking sessions. Hooking up with my wife was what turned me around. We had some fun going drinking together for a while but eventually settled down a bit more. Don't you get sick of the hangovers? That's what used to shit me no end. I reckon i had close to 1000 hangovers, all of them killers.

don't drink , have seen what it does to people, in my younger days (18 to early 20's ) i used to drink every weekend , but came a point when i woke up and realised that there was no point to it , plus it costs a shitload just to piss it all up against a wall

This is pretty much me as well, I did have the odd whiskey in the evenings but gave that up too, I just couldn't be bothered with it these days, not even a wine with dinner any more, much prefer a nice chilled water.

I like your honesty Hirdy. You're gonna have to bite the bullet at some point, don't you think? You can't keep that up, and the training at the same time. The former is obviously counter-productive to the latter.

It's interesting you mention your missus in the drinking sessions. Hooking up with my wife was what turned me around. We had some fun going drinking together for a while but eventually settled down a bit more. Don't you get sick of the hangovers? That's what used to shit me no end. I reckon i had close to 1000 hangovers, all of them killers.

Cheers DKD, I think I'll mention any alcohol I have in my diary at least for a while just to make me a bit more accountable. Knowing that I have a gym session coming up is good motivation too, like if I know I have to be up early
then I'll usually chill out and drink way less.

The Mrs is pretty good with alcohol, I wish i could drink like her actually, she'll have a few wines, get a bit pissed when it's party time, then stop and go to bed generally.

I think it was just a stupid cultural thing for me growing up where Dad always went to the pub after work and had a few schooners before heading home for dinner, and Mum would have a glass of wine while cooking dinner, and family events always involved a keg or a few slabs. Then in high school and uni everything revolved around alcohol, basically it just made everything more fun, a bit sillier.

Same thing these days I guess, most of my mates drink and so most gatherings involve a few beers, but yes, it's purely my decision to drink and I'll admit I'm often the ring leader or person that's drinking a bit faster/more than everyone else.

Anyway this thread has made me think about it a fair bit actually and just hearing people say that they don't drink and they don't get it and don't care etc has opened my eyes up that drinking (while common) isn't necessarily normal and that not-drinking isn't really that weird...go figure...

Mackthy, I love you baby, and I'm sure I could learn a lot from you, but I just can't handle those mega-size posts. Can you do a 2 line summary from now on for simpletons like me?

Wish of best pleasantries

DKD

Well This has been a thread worth while starting, some nice feed back here, I admire you guys who can live without having a drink, I was brought up and worked most of my life in a strong drinking culture.

I worked with guys who would drink half a case of beer a day whilst at work, and I am currently in a job where there is a strong after work drinking culture where people write themselves off regularly.

Luck I am not into that any more now, and I must say I feel better for it and starting to look better as well.

But on the other side I still love to have a drink, and love the feeling of being intoxicated by alcohol to a certain degree, it seems to lift my mood, it's very relaxing, and makes for fun social times in my personal opinion.

I am currently at the start of my cutting up get ripped for summer and my Thailand holiday routine. So I am on Fadi's 'lose fat maintain muscle' program, (weights and HIIT) along with a 2000 per day calorie diet.

So I have decided to do some research for those of us who still like a drink on the odd occasion, but are also on a calorie restricted diet.

Here are some drinks that can easily be incorporated into any calorie controlled diet:

Jim Beam pre mix can 375ml = 265 calories

Jim Beam Zero pre mix 375ml = 67 calories (Not a bad choice really)

Pure Blonde Premium Lager 1 Bottle 355ml = 107 calories

Tooheys Extra dry 375ml = 145 calories