• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on Squats

Undercover

Kunce in training
My lower back or core seem to collapse forward on my squats even thou its not heavy (60-80kg x 10 reps). I have a solid lower back and core however, and have no issues with dead lifting (150kg 5x5) or on any other lifts.

I read possibly because I squat in front of a mirror (location of rack) that you tend to lean to far forward watching yourself, hence dropping your torso forward.

Today I tried leaning back but almost dropped the bar off back. Thought about having a bench under my arse to guide me for a while?

It's really doing my head and confidence in with progressing or going heavy (less reps) with my squats.

Any advice on how to help with this at all?

I find if i pick a spot on the wall high up and focus there rather than straight ahead this helps to keep the chest up, also squeezing your ABS when squatting, these two things have helped me more than most things and I used to have sore lower back as well.

No shoes and do more front squats so you get used to the more upright positioning of the back.

Do some glute activation exercises and strength work as well.

Sure will try these tips tomorrow.

How did you guys judge when you were parallel/deep enough when you started
Squats? My fat round legs make it hard to tell.

My lower back or core seem to collapse forward on my squats even thou its not heavy (60-80kg x 10 reps). I have a solid lower back and core however, and have no issues with dead lifting (150kg 5x5) or on any other lifts.

I read possibly because I squat in front of a mirror (location of rack) that you tend to lean to far forward watching yourself, hence dropping your torso forward.

Today I tried leaning back but almost dropped the bar off back. Thought about having a bench under my arse to guide me for a while?

It's really doing my head and confidence in with progressing or going heavy (less reps) with my squats.

Low bar or high bar Kunce?

This is an easy two step fix-

1. Remove all sand from your vagina

2. Squat more.

Sorry Kunce had to google that one as I don't know, but if my googling is right I'd say high bar as I tuck it in tight behind my neck. Will film next time I go. Thanks

Get on you tube and watch others high bar squat...

The mirror is not the cause of your problem...

Definitely need a video of your squat form to give solid advice. In saying that, if your back and core aren't a problem, it may be:

- You have an unrealistic idea of how upright you're meant to be while squatting and you're actually not leaning further forward than you should be;
- Your glutes/hamstrings aren't working to open the hips as you get out of the hole;
- Your quads are too weak to move the bar north, so you're trying to get into a position more like your deadlift where you can lift more weight (this was part of the story for a lot of my early squatmornings);
- You just need to learn how to squat.

Take some concrete and hard up basically? Fuck

My not a **** answer would be on your way up pull down on the bar as hard as you can, imagine you are trying to bend it over your back this cue will help you keep your chest up.

Also try and stay perpendicular from the hole all the way up. Imagine a plumb bob going down your throat and out your arse into the floor.

Its one of those lifts that lends itself to bulk volume. The more you squat the better it comes together.

What your describing though is common and is usually from upperback weakness (I'm exactly the same). I

[MENTION=7877]RyanF[/MENTION]; [MENTION=10061]Brick[/MENTION];

Thanks will focus and try some of those tips, think its just a matter of volume and practice like your both saying. Have really only done proper squats (using a bb and rack etc) 10-15 sessions in total the last 1-2 months.

Annoying as my legs don't tire really or struggle it's just core/back structure that fucks me up atm. My legs are quite well sized also (from carrying around my 120kg frame back when I was fatter).

Appreciate your advice. Will make video next session.

that far upright?

whaddayathink abotu this diagram?
squat-variants.jpg

Not sure, to me front on looks ok, maybe just not deep enough. Going to film and check post to get opinions. Thanks.

Fwiw the squat is so much more then a leg exercise after heavy squats my abs, traps, rear delts and legs are all fried.

Its the king of lifts.

Fwiw the squat is so much more then a leg exercise after heavy squats my abs, traps, rear delts and legs are all fried.

Its the king of lifts.

I never believed that until till a few weeks ago. I get more veins, go red, loose breath then I do with my little light squats then running 5km. I can't imagine what it's like post 140kg....

Continuing to squat poorly will only make things worse.

I always hate how people ask these things without posting a video lol.

Could be many things - weak abs, not activation abs, weak hips, not activating hips, poor thoracic mobility, poor hip mobility, trying to squat too deep. I'd be willing to bet it is one of these but without seeing your squat it is hard to tell which, and then obviously how to go about correcting it