• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on routine for skinny guy :)

Topsy76

Hello Everyone,
6’1 ft tall
77kg
26 year old male.
Looking to put some muscle on my wirey body. (not craploads just so im not so skinny!
Basically I was 90kg (tried to binge my self with food to not be skinny) and being like a rake I was a skinny guy with a big gut. I lost that playing football with my local club and lifting weights occasionally. Now im trying to put some back on (which I have but not much) with some muscle I DON’T WANT TO LOOK LIKE ARNOLD I just want to look I guess… fit? (with some muscle) so im not a rake anymore. And most of all to play better football (afl style)
DIET:
Drink water constantly every day
Breakfast: Oats/No fat milk + carb protein shake + multivitamin
Lunch: egg rice with tuna
Afternoon tea: whole grain turkey + cheese sandwhich
Dinner: normally meat + 3 veg etc.
Then a carb protein shake after or before workout with some creatine 30 mins before. (sometimes I workout before dinner just depending)

Basically I train for football once a week for 1.5 hours, I play basketball once a week for 1 hour and during season I play a game of football for 2 hours. I consider that my cardio done.
The other days im following this routine: ( I work at home I have a barbell and a bench press with some dumbbells and free weights.)
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/mass_home_gym_workout.htm
I do the #3 with some excersises swapped out if I don’t know how to do it properly (ie clean and press ill do something else)
I do the 5x5 style of reps/range with heaviest weight I can (although sometimes not as to try get perfect form)
My question is: Is my routine/diet ok? Am I going to be putting on the muscle? I am seeing a little bit of gain but not overly much I think sometimes my problem is I take off days and don’t stick to it or I don’t lift enough when im working out.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Adrian.

Do the ptc beginner program in the strength section here. Don't read BB.com especially not be teen section unless you want to end up stupider.

Train like you want to be bigger than Arnold do it consistently for a couple years and then you will look fit.

No one just ends up looking like Arnold.

Fuck that program off...

Do any sort of 3x a week full-body routine. Lift heavy. Lift lots. Eat lots.

Eg. The GCB Special
Workout A
Squats 5x10
Bench 3x10
SLDLs 3x15
Rows 3x10
Chins and Dips superset 3 sets

Workout B
Deads 5x5
Mil Press 3x10
Squats 5x10
Rows 3x10
Chins and Dips superset 3 sets

Hey Topsy - your stats sound identical to me.. I've varied from 62kg, up to 90kg (and then got sick and lost 12kg in 6 weeks :( ). I'm currently bulking starting at 77kg at the start of this year and sitting about 79/79.5kg now. Also, like you I have soccer (instead of AFL) training once a week, play soccer on Saturdays and then play either indoor soccer or touch another day per week.

I imagine that you would struggle with a full body routine because it's hard to do 3 full body sessions a week (both having 8-10 sets of leg exercises) and not be sore/fatigued for game day on Saturday.

For that reason, I think it's better to do M-Lower, T-Upper, W-Rest (hopefully basketball is on Wednesday nights or training :p), T-Lower, F-Upper, S-AFL/soccer game, S-rest.

After years of pathetic BB.com isolated splits, I now do this sort of split instead. It means you hit your body parts twice a week and you're still able to move lower body workouts away from game day (and mid-week sport to a lesser extent).

Honestly, I would just google 4 day upper/lower split and look for either one on muscle and strength or do Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine. It works.

Otherwise, see previous comments re eating/lifting. Oh and consider making your breakfast a huge shake (i.e. add in peanut butter, oats, egg whites/protein, berries - it helps with getting the kind of calories you need to grow).

Wow.
Thank you so much for the quick replies and advise i have now totally revised what im doing as it actually makes sense.
although im a bit skeptical on lifting 100kg bench press... in saying that i started doing 25kg and can now do 40kg.... :)
(i have changed the excersises tell me what you think)
Barbell Squat 3 x 10
barbell Bench press 3 x 8
Barbell Bent row 3 x 8
seated dumbbell shoulder press 3 x 8
Stiff legged dead lift 3 x 8
Barbell curl 3 x 8

End with abb routine (3 x 25 situps/leg lift variations etc)
My plan is:
CARDIO: Tuesday thursday saturday
WEIGHTS: monday wednesday friday (using the above max weight and increasing each time unless failure)
Sunday = Rest

I guess i could.

I dont have proper equipment etc i have a smallish room some free weights and a adjustable bench (with a bench press rack)

Standing barbell shoulder press 3 x 8
Barbell Squat 3 x 10
Barbell Bent row 3 x 8
Barbell curl 3 x 8
ab routine 3 x 25

Sounds alot better to me :)

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it.

High volume knife and fork curls, loaded with steak and vegetables. Full cream milk curls for assistance.

i do a 5 day split workout. one muscle group per workout. lots of compound lifts. that along with eating a shitload and 200+ protein a day and you will see improvements

deadlift
squat
incline bench press
shoulder press
bent over row
seated bicep curl
skull crushers

these are all staple. keep researching and find what works best for you

i do a 5 day split workout. one muscle group per workout. lots of compound lifts. that along with eating a shitload and 200+ protein a day and you will see improvements

deadlift
squat
incline bench press
shoulder press
bent over row
seated bicep curl
skull crushers

these are all staple. keep researching and find what works best for you

No. Bad Spd! Spd is a bad split-monkey!

Standing barbell shoulder press 3 x 8
Barbell Squat 3 x 10
Barbell Bent row 3 x 8
Barbell curl 3 x 8
ab routine 3 x 25

Sounds alot better to me :)

Thanks for all your help really appreciate it.

This is perfect, I started on this 3 years ago and did it for a bout 12 months until I moved onto a squat, deadlift, bench split.

Do this for 3 months and eat a lot more food than now and you will see results.

Consistency + effort = result.

Keep at it dude.