• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on Oly lifting set-up / storing equip. outdoors - rust?

squareznboxez

I'm from Sydney so the goal was to get all local gear to save on shipping as well as being able to deal with any warranty issues

Im planning to pick up a set of

Pendlay Elite Colour bumpers + a NextGen HD bushing barbell (the cheaper one) from Muscle Driver AU - Gosford - approx $2,000

Pendlay Colored Elite Bumpers / NB Bar 185kg Set

Thinking to disregard the Pendlay bar alltogether and just go with a cheaper Muscle Motion Needle Bearing Bar due to it being kept outdoors (read below)

Muscle Motion Needle Bearing Bar - $200

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell_Needle-Bearing_Rated-600kg/969.htm

Squat stand - Muscle Driver AU - Gosford $279

MDUSA Econ Squat Stand

OR

Squat Stand w/ spotter bars and chinup bar - Cyber-Market Seven Hills - $495

HD1 Crossfit Rack with Chinup Bar and Spotter Bars | HD1 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

Storage rack - Muscle motion from Gym Direct - $120

Weight Plate Rack (Olympic size) MOPR

20pk of 15mm gym mats from Cyber-market in Seven Hills - $560

Rubber Floor Tile 1m x 1m Black - pack of 20 | FLT1M20 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

One concern i have is that i will be keeping this set up outdoors, under a pergola - so although it will be out of direct sunlight and rain, it will be subject to the milder elements of moisture, frost and night-sweat - i am concerned with such pricy gear (to me) i would have a huge cry if the bumper center-rings and barbell sleeves were to rust due to being kept outside

I have spoken to the guys at Muscle driver AU, they've advised that the center rings may experience some dis-coloration but will not rust to the point that it will inhibit the function of the bumpers and bar eg. rough surfaces causing scratching on the storage rack and barbell sleeves

Would it be as simple as to keep these loosely covered when not in use, or should i go for a less-expensive set so not to be devastated when my small investment goes on that rust time

Anyone with experience with these products as well as anyone who keeps their gear outdoors, would love to hear from you

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:
Most of my gym gear sits out side under a verandah, seems to be fine, just gets dusty, I generally wipe it down with a rag with some WD40 sprayed on it every now and then.

Been outside for a few years now and is fine so far.

If you have it/can get it in writing that they will honour the warranty despite the equipment being kept outdoors, that lifetime warranty on the barbell could come in handy. It's also a nice bar, I have the bearing one.

You can likely build a 3x3 platform out of ply for cheaper than those mats, to

It will be ok as most of it is powder coated. If the paint was chipped or damaged it would only show up surface rust. You wouldn't see it rust through completely in this lifetime unless you had it sitting in sea water.
As mick said a wipe down with wd40 will do the trick...but probably not on the barbell as this would make it greasy.
WD40 Company
Cheers

Cheers for the advice guys, will see if Muscle Driver are willing to warrant their products from rust

Any oppinions, between the Muscle Driver stand and the Cyber-store rack w/ spotter bars?

Squat stand - Muscle Driver AU - Gosford $279

MDUSA Econ Squat Stand

OR

Squat Stand w/ spotter bars and chinup bar - Cyber-Market Seven Hills - $495

HD1 Crossfit Rack with Chinup Bar and Spotter Bars | HD1 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

i'm liking the quality of the MD stand, but the Cyber-store one seems like a more sturdy unit with better features like the spotter bars and chin-up bar

Last edited:
I pretty much have all the gear you are looking to buy.

Bars and bumpers - I got two sets of the bar and bumpers (20kg bar and 15kg bar, both bearing bars). Bumpers are great. The fractional plates are known for the centre ring to come out after some time, but this won't affect how you use them. The bars... I love the bars however after one week of use they started to corrode. I tried to use the 30 day coating warrant that is listed on their page to which they responded that this doesn't affect the use of the bar so there is no warrant issue. It took quite a bit of back and forth before they came to the party. However I'm still waiting on the new bars to arrive in the country, it's been 5 weeks.

Squat stand - recently got the muscle driver stand and love it. Also have the Rogue S-3, basically the same as you have pictured, but find I use the squat stand more than the rack, however both are good.

I had all my gear stored under a pergola for a couple of years
Bar was a Texas power bar with the black coating on the bar, collars and sleeves on the bar rusted pretty quickly, but it's not damaging rust.
Wipe down with WD40 occasionally is all you need.
Most squat stands will get a slight bit of rust where the paint chips, or has not been coated, but as long as they are not in the rain you should be OK.

I stored all my bumper plates in a steel box I got from bunnings for both security and some protection from the elements.

http://ausbb.com/attachments/workou...97-show-us-your-home-gym-home-gym-mar2012.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers for that mate, exactly the experience i was after, much appreciated

i got a response from MDAUS today regarding warranting the corrosion of their equipment;

To be honest...I would be very surprised if they rusted. I have a number of people who train outside with the elites and have no problems. Obviously, if the performance is compromised we will always warranty any plates. Hope this puts you mind at ease buddy.

Ben

Agreed with the stand, i think i would be using the MD stand more so than the Cyber-market rack, much easier to move around as well as we entertain a fair bit in the pergola area

thanks again for your response, helped a heap

I pretty much have all the gear you are looking to buy.

Bars and bumpers - I got two sets of the bar and bumpers (20kg bar and 15kg bar, both bearing bars). Bumpers are great. The fractional plates are known for the centre ring to come out after some time, but this won't affect how you use them. The bars... I love the bars however after one week of use they started to corrode. I tried to use the 30 day coating warrant that is listed on their page to which they responded that this doesn't affect the use of the bar so there is no warrant issue. It took quite a bit of back and forth before they came to the party. However I'm still waiting on the new bars to arrive in the country, it's been 5 weeks.

Squat stand - recently got the muscle driver stand and love it. Also have the Rogue S-3, basically the same as you have pictured, but find I use the squat stand more than the rack, however both are good.

Awesome setup you have man, would definitely go with the Iron Edge gear if i was closer to Melb

Storage box might be the way to go, over a weight tree just so they can be stored away from the elements a bit better

I think i will definitely need to take into account some basic maintenance ie wiping down with WD40 etc, if i want this stuff to last outdoors

cheers mate, great to hear your experiences as you have pretty much the exact set up i'm after

I had all my gear stored under a pergola for a couple of years
Bar was a Texas power bar with the black coating on the bar, collars and sleeves on the bar rusted pretty quickly, but it's not damaging rust.
Wipe down with WD40 occasionally is all you need.
Most squat stands will get a slight bit of rust where the paint chips, or has not been coated, but as long as they are not in the rain you should be OK.

I stored all my bumper plates in a steel box I got from bunnings for both security and some protection from the elements.

http://ausbb.com/attachments/workou...97-show-us-your-home-gym-home-gym-mar2012.jpg

Mirin your set up BTW mate, looks neat and tidy

Most of my gym gear sits out side under a verandah, seems to be fine, just gets dusty, I generally wipe it down with a rag with some WD40 sprayed on it every now and then.

Been outside for a few years now and is fine so far.