• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice On Gear

Sumo - If I can find another hobby or a training buddy I'll be all good. Hobby will keep me occupied, and training buddy can keep me in line.

if you can get your arse into teh city (or even as close as caulfield) on a weekend you're welcome to train with me at Fatness First. I can even get you in for free :)

Hey HB,

Matt Rhodes has put a few good articles on Elitefts regarding gear..
If you are in CAPO you do have the option of double ply too.. however a sharper learning curve again compared to single ply..

As per Total strength.. starting off a couple sizes bigger is an advantage.. easier to get into gear.. touching and reaching depth..

Read up on breaking in a shirt using boards with smaller board each week.. similar approaches can be used for squat suits with an additional 10kg each week until depth is reached..

Speak to Minh and SP for titan and inzer.. and Underground up in QLD for metal based products.. see what works and of course what you can afford..

Your training will change.. and it should.. it needs to be geared around your geared lifts.. lots of boards, rack pulls for deadlifts..

Good luck!
Training with gear is hard.. but so rewarding if you can dial it in..
I know of a few guys out there that can squeeze between 60-100kg out of squat suit and wraps because they have worked hard on it.. and look at minh in his shirt.. dialled in to the max.. 75kg benching 170kg+ and talk about crazy arch..

Hammie,

I’m going to give you my opinion as a competitive lifter and not a distributor.
As you know i was brought up through the MelbUni system.
You should know that back to front because you passed the exam (i just marked it)
Programs are based on linear periodization with very little use of gear apart from the last week. This program originally only has doubles for squats and DLs and bench was raw.
this program was perfect for 1st and 2nd gen gear (80s to late 90s) before NXG and 90degree sleeves so the spongy shit (champions suits, HD blast, marathons, superior suits and so forth)
this type of gear is good for over loading because the ratio of assistance at maximum SSC is lower
i.e. old 90s shirt (zero assistance at the top, max (5-10kg) at bottom)
super katana proper fit and tight(50kgs at the top, 200kgs-300kgs at the bottom)
our standard program needs to be tweaked to cater for advanced gear.
I do the standard cycle squats and DL and my own work for benching
and peak for competition
sorry I’m beating around the bush
I’m saying if you get into gear, do it to compete
you want to overload, use belt, wraps, slingshots and rams
and buy an old suit off eBay
modern equipment will make your weaknesses weaker and strengths stronger
the mind set to use a suit or bench shirt has to be that of a comp
the adrenaline is needed the desperation, the hunger
simply overloading for the sake of it is almost impossible, many times you won't touch without desperation
to me, the new dimension of lifting is welcomed
I’m not the strongest guy, but I’m the most flexible and analytical
im weak off the chest, can i get stronger raw? yes
would it help my shirted bench at this advanced level? most likely not or very little
i can do 100 for a single (probably, never tried) if i trained for it i could probably do 125-130
but since a shirt gives you the strongest pecs in the world if used correctly, what is the point of strengthening something that is given and fatigue the top end lockout, there by never really getting its full potential
i can lockout 240-250 top end
but can't get 105 off the chest
i can touch 170 at 74kgs with no belt on
at 74.20kgs i can't touch 177.5
with a belt loose on at 74kgs i need 180 to touch
with a belt tight on i need 200 to touch
the new shirts can be pulled up to the neck and down about 30cms
ok i finished my ramblings
point is get old loose gear if you just want to overload
get the newest gear (with the exception of the bench shirt, i think you need to progress there, the learning curve is too steep) if you wanna compete

after nationals ill be free
tuesday and fridays you wanna train, just come over

Long post lol . . .

I've decided for the time being I will work on getting my raw lifts up but if the opportunity presents itself to do some training in a shirt/suit I will give it a go before spending any $$$ (cept the belt/wraps)
*edit*
Or if someone is throwing out an old shirt/suit and I can grab it for next to nothing

Last edited:
Actually looking to start 5/3/1 in the next week.
I have made the decision to strip back my deadlift earlier and concentrate on Fun In The Sun rather than CAPO or ProRaw.

Dunno bout BBB assistance though, what is it exactly? Otherwise it'll be similar to what I posted in my training thread

*edit*
pfffft 2 assistance exercises :p
Mine will be more similar to the bodybuilder model looking at it

Last edited:
Long post lol . . .

I've decided for the time being I will work on getting my raw lifts up but if the opportunity presents itself to do some training in a shirt/suit I will give it a go before spending any $$$ (cept the belt/wraps)
*edit*
Or if someone is throwing out an old shirt/suit and I can grab it for next to nothing
Very sensible Graham

graham i have a size 52 inzer h d blast shirt that one of my young lifters grew out of ,look up inzer check the size chart and if it fits its your for the postage cost its only been used a few times lets know

Maybe you should challenge yourself to stick to one program for 3 months. That should get you a much bigger gain than any equipment.

Biggest tip I can give anyone with 5/3/1 is to focus assistance work on your weak points. Don't do most of that crap people seem to and wonder why they don't get much strength gains. Such as 5x10 @ 50% (imo only squats that's decent for, even then), or the Triumvirate one (from a site linked on the last page), assistance to bench is 5x15 on DB bench.

How will that increase your 1rm?

If you don't have a particular weak point, then more of that same lift for heavy sets of 3 or so.

Sorry off topic, just sick of seeing people all over forums doing shit assistance work on 5/3/1.

Biggest tip I can give anyone with 5/3/1 is to focus assistance work on your weak points. Don't do most of that crap people seem to and wonder why they don't get much strength gains. Such as 5x10 @ 50% (imo only squats that's decent for, even then), or the Triumvirate one (from a site linked on the last page), assistance to bench is 5x15 on DB bench.

If you don't have a particular weak point, then more of that same lift for heavy sets of 3 or so.

Sorry off topic, just sick of seeing people all over forums doing shit assistance work on 5/3/1.

Working on weak points should really be saved until your strong. Until then it's a bit of a waste of time and most work should be done of the main lifts.

Also I agree 5x10 didnt do much for me. Just because someone is doing 531 doesn't mean you have to stick with that. Something like 5 sets of triples or 5s after the main work will work better for me.

My weak point on bench is my chest, shoulders and tri's.
On MP it's shoulders and tri's :p

Started bench today but struggled due to my right shoulder. Probably should have given it an extra day considering the pressing and upright rows I did y/day.

At this stage I will complete the first 3 week wave and see how I go, then most likely add in more bench volume in particular (partially in an effort to reduce intensity to protect my shoulder), possibly in place of the slingshot overload (which I failed my first warm up set today lol). Squats I will be doing a 20 repper at the end, and when I get my knee wraps will use them with a belt as my 'overload' instead of box squats to get more actual squatting volume. Deadlift I have reset and just working off 12x2, overhead I do MP then PP 5/3/1 on the same day plus shoulder press with DBs on bench day.

Overload is useless for you at this stage, Whats the point of benching x amount with a slingshot if off your chest is your weak point?

Same with knee wraps. If your weak in the bottom dont use them you will only get weaker.. I have worn knee wraps once in training just to see how they work...

Stick to basic hard exercises... Do normal 20 reppers or low low box squats make shit hard.