• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adding Volume Systematically

jj80

Just wondering what people think on adding volume systematically. There are a lot of workouts out there but I think you will plateau on almost every one of them (or not progress as fast as you could) unless that workout adds volume in a systematic way.

* The simple version is 'to bench more bench more' (although this implies increasing frequency too, doing that results in more volume per week).
* I realise intensity is an important factor too but if I just try to up my weights I usually just fail eventually. E.g. 110x5x5 becomes 112.5x5x3, 112.5x4, 112.5x2 (every time I try).

Every time I've progressed it's almost always after a 3 month+ stint of adding volume to my workouts while eating slightly more than I need. My advice to others stuck on a 110kg bench, 15 chinups, etc., is to try to add a couple of sets of each exercise per week to what you're already doing. Make it measurable, don't just randomly 'go hard', add 2x10 reps of dips or something, then increase to 5x10 over a month or two.

Another way I look at it is total kgs shifted for the workout. Instead of adding more kgs, add more reps.
For example
100kg bench x 3 sets of 5 reps =1500kgs
100kg bench x 5 sets of 5 reps = 2500kgs, an extra 1000kgs shifted for workout

I add sets until I run out of time then add sessions and reduce volume across the board
If I am changing reps vs intensity then I'll also drop the volume as it's enough of a difference usually to demonstrate progress

Total KG is a good way of looking at it, I think number of lifts is better though

I add sets until I run out of time then add sessions and reduce volume across the board
If I am changing reps vs intensity then I'll also drop the volume as it's enough of a difference usually to demonstrate progress

Total KG is a good way of looking at it, I think number of lifts is better though

Are you following a Escalating Density Trainig sort of method mate?

Look up charles staley escalating density training,

Basically beating your reps in a certain amount of time thought you might of got some of his methods

just seems like another way of increasing volume
would it work? sure why not

Yea been around a very long time, i guess it could make training "fun" by giving yourself that time limit to really bang out some solid reps

One thing I like to do is pick a weight and go for 50 reps in so many times
Doesn't matter how I get the reps really, 10s, 3s, whatever
Then I'll up the weight next time, and the time after, until I can't get 50 reps out

Good for bullshit like chin-ups, curls, things that don't need fancy schemes