• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Abs

75 situps on a GHD, touching the floor then my toes each rep.
Couldn't laugh for a couple of days.

As mentioned, most days. A lot of exercises you do hit the abs without you even realizing it (whether it's isometric or not). I still do some direct controlled ab work once or twice a week.

No direct abdominal work here, as others have mentioned they get lots of indirect activation.

If having weak abdominals are the cause of posture issues, doing some direct work would be suggested.

Last edited:
Core muscle activation during Swiss ball and traditional abdominal exercises. Core muscle activation during Swis... [J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Escamilla RF, Lewis C, Bell D, Bramblet G, Daffron J, Lambert S, Pecson A, Imamura R, Paulos L, Andrews JR.
Source
Andrews-Paulos Research and Education Institute, Gulf Breeze, FL, USA. rescamil@csus.edu
Abstract
STUDY DESIGN:
Controlled laboratory study using a repeated-measures, counterbalanced design.

OBJECTIVES:
To test the ability of 8 Swiss ball exercises (roll-out, pike, knee-up, skier, hip extension right, hip extension left, decline push-up, and sitting march right) and 2 traditional abdominal exercises (crunch and bent-knee sit-up) on activating core (lumbopelvic hip complex) musculature.

BACKGROUND:
Numerous Swiss ball abdominal exercises are employed for core muscle strengthening during training and rehabilitation, but there are minimal data to substantiate the ability of these exercises to recruit core muscles. It is also unknown how core muscle recruitment in many of these Swiss ball exercises compares to core muscle recruitment in traditional abdominal exercises such as the crunch and bent-knee sit-up.

METHODS:
A convenience sample of 18 subjects performed 5 repetitions for each exercise. Electromyographic (EMG) data were recorded on the right side for upper and lower rectus abdominis, external and internal oblique, latissimus dorsi, lumbar paraspinals, and rectus femoris, and then normalized using maximum voluntary isometric contractions (MVICs).

RESULTS:
EMG signals during the roll-out and pike exercises for the upper rectus abdominis (63% and 46% MVIC, respectively), lower rectus abdominis (53% and 55% MVIC, respectively), external oblique (46% and 84% MVIC, respectively), and internal oblique (46% and 56% MVIC, respectively) were significantly greater compared to most other exercises, where EMG signals ranged between 7% to 53% MVIC for the upper rectus abdominis, 7% to 44% MVIC for the lower rectus abdominis, 14% to 73% MVIC for the external oblique, and 16% to 47% MVIC for the internal oblique. The lowest EMG signals were consistently found in the sitting march right exercise. Latissimus dorsi EMG signals were greatest in the pike, knee-up, skier, hip extension right and left, and decline push-up (17%-25% MVIC), and least with the sitting march right, crunch, and bent-knee sit-up exercises (7%-8% MVIC). Rectus femoris EMG signal was greatest with the hip extension left exercise (35% MVIC), and least with the crunch, roll-out, hip extension right, and decline push-up exercises (6%-10% MVIC). Lumbar paraspinal EMG signal was relative low (less than 10% MVIC) for all exercises.

CONCLUSIONS:
The roll-out and pike were the most effective exercises in activating upper and lower rectus abdominis, external and internal obliques, and latissimus dorsi muscles, while minimizing lumbar paraspinals and rectus femoris activity.

if you actually want good abs, then you need to target them specifacally twice at least. they are a small muscle that gets used frequently so they recover faster.

if dont really care then just do ur compounds, but ur not gonna have anythng amazing by never hitting em

if you actually want good abs, then you need to target them specifacally twice at least. they are a small muscle that gets used frequently so they recover faster.

if dont really care then just do ur compounds, but ur not gonna have anythng amazing by never hitting em
Abs are made in the kitchen...........

Squats and deads generally, so 3 times a week. and when doing chin/pull ups, adding a leg rise or swivel is good for the obliques.

Whats recommended for fixing posture (been thinking of making a new thread for a while)??

As previously stated dead's, squats and press's are my favourtie's. I also do hanging leg raises or roll out's to end session's. One arm overhead presses are worth their weight in gold imo.

everyday

abbelts4.jpg

Seriously, don't really have anything planned. Just whenever. I don't mind doing the ab wheel rollouts though. Also like dragon flags.

I have heard of people who are lacking in core strength, focussing more on core work and then being able to bust plateaus on the big 3. So to totally neglect them is a bit silly too IMO.

I'm sure lots of people see it too, but people that do a gazillion crunches and can barely do a couple of ab wheel rollouts from knees really shows how much core work is more than a spinal flexion exercise.

If you wish to do abdominals, that is your choice. No problem :)

But you do not need to do them to get 'deep hard veiny abs'.

Please refer to the picture in point #4 and the explaination in point #8 in this link - Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

well im bulking right now i do no direct work. but when i cut i will hit my abs directly.

for every dude whos ripped who dosnt do abbs im sure there is another who swears by it. pro bodybuilders do it, so im sure it not pointless.

Direct ab work on cuts works well for me

well im bulking right now i do no direct work. but when i cut i will hit my abs directly.

for every dude whos ripped who dosnt do abbs im sure there is another who swears by it. pro bodybuilders do it, so im sure it not pointless.

Direct ab work on cuts works well for me

Pro bodybuilders often do heaps of retarded shit so not the best argument.

watever dude jesus christ, abb work is not going to hurt you.

fuck me, i dont care, do ur squats and deads and see how amazing ur abbs get

(P.s there bigger better stronger then you , so im sure jay, ronnie, dorian know a bit more about bodybuilding then you. )

No one said it would hurt you, just that it is not necessary.

Also the "they're bigger than you so know more" argument is stupid.

watever dude jesus christ, abb work is not going to hurt you.

fuck me, i dont care, do ur squats and deads and see how amazing ur abbs get

(P.s there bigger better stronger then you , so im sure jay, ronnie, dorian know a bit more about bodybuilding then you. )
You're an angry young dude aren't you...
Bazza made a valid point. Some Pro BB do shit that is just not necessary for us mere mortals. They get a way with it due to the copious amount of drugs, make no bones about it.