• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

Since I began on the 19th and 26th of July at my two jobs, I've kept a record of who I've spoken to and what I've done with them. In eight weeks and one day at one job and seven weeks and one day at the other, I have done 208.5 hours of work, for an average of 27 hours a week.

I have mostly used Rippetoe's coaching method, familiar to anyone who's seen the Starting Strength DVD. I agree that with this method you can teach an idiot how to squat in ten minutes.

Today I showed someone how to squat, they were the 100th person. "Why should I squat? What will it do for me?"
"It will give you an arse such that when you are walking away from women, they ask you to turn around and come back."
"That's what I want. Let's squat."

Last edited:
Yesterday I was training a guy, he was deadlifting 100kg for reps. Wouldn't impress anyone here, I know - but when I started with him in June, he could not deadlift 50kg, and he's 1.90m tall and was 165kg. Now he's about 140kg. He's spent his whole life sedentary, now in his 30s he's sorting himself out physically. He has deadlifted 140kg for a single, but strength's not his main aim at this point, just dropping the weight.

Anyway, while he was pounding out the reps, another trainer was a few metres away with a young woman, medium to small-sized, her goals involve "toning up," she is perfectly healthy. She was looking over at my guy deadlifting with some awe, whispering to her trainer, "How much is that he's lifting?"
"100kg," I interrupted, "and when he started he couldn't lift 50kg. And yes, women can do it, too."

The other trainer had her doing dumbbell front and side raises on a Bosu ball.

It made me a bit sad, the contrast. Lots of trainers tell me you've got to give all these funky different exercises to people to keep them interested and motivated. I have a theory that people are interested and motivated by progress.

My guy is dropping the excess weight, is stronger and fitter, has improved flexibility (not many guys his size can touch their toes), stands physically taller (he has an increased kyphosis, decreased now by improved upper back strength), and just overall feels a lot better than he used to. And I have him do pretty much the same thing in every session, front squats, overhead or bench press, deadlift. Sometimes we might use dumbbells or do a farmer's walk, sometimes when the weight training's tired him out we have a bit of biffo with the mitts and gloves, but squat, pull, press is about it.

The training is boring, but the progress is interesting. So the training is made more interesting by that.

Another trainer, very educated and successful guy, was talking to me about how he likes to give balance training, balance being very important particularly as we age. "That Bosu ball is the best piece of equipment in the gym," he said. I did an involuntary Valsalva manouevre. Well, I am too new in the profession to be able to say, so I just nodded. Balance, definitely important, especially with older people - not the majority of the guy's clientele, though.

Another trainer mentions he likes the core stability training on swiss balls and all that because "it's so challenging!" Certainly it's challenging, but squatting while someone is kicking you in the groin would be challenging, too, that doesn't mean it's a useful thing to do.

But, new as I am, I do wonder whether standing on the steady flat floor and doing a split squat, or working up to front squatting your bodyweight would be challenging and improve your balance?

No piece of equipment in the gym is useless. Anything that gets a person's body moving is good. But I do wonder whether all the fancy bits and pieces are that useful compared to the basic stuff. And I wonder whether the variety of exercises given is really for the client's benefit and interest, or the trainer's. When I was a chef, we didn't make Specials of the Day to keep the restaurant patrons interested, but to keep us interested. Teaching 100 people in a row to do squats could be tedious for some, I guess.

Last edited:
Good job Kyle.

Many, many people have no concept of double progressive resistance and how rewarding it is.

The workout in itself isn't supposed to be fun, the by-products to exercise are numerous.
Posted via Mobile Device

Today I was teaching the 101st squatter. He did well, then said, "I feel lightheaded."
"Lots of people do after squats. Walk around a bit, get the blood flowing."

Then he fell over.

I steadied him on a bench, got out the radio, "Reception, this is gym, I had a guy faint, need medical help." The Duty Manager came along. "Could you go to the office and get the oxygen?" We have it stored there for the pool lifeguards to use. I've used it before in the Army, but not recently, and Level 2 First Aid doesn't cover it, I knew the DM's lifeguard qualifications would cover it.

We gave him oxygen, he seemed to perk up. "I need to go to the toilet." I had him lean on me and we started walking, after three steps he stumbled, we sat him down again and called an ambulance. The Centre Manager came along, too. About this time the gym supervisor wandered in and went into the office.

Kept talking to him, asking him questions, the paramedics came along and checked him out, low blood pressure - he'd had good blood pressure two days before. He's in his 30s, no major health issues, and I only gave him low repetitions and low weight to lift, just to learn. But apparently he'd been staying up late studying, and last night was up to 3am, woke up early, had no breakfast and ran the 2km to the gym. And then had his first ever session of weight training.

The gym supervisor joked, "He fainted? What'd you do to him in the session, Kyle?"
"Nothing, just some low reps, low weight squats."
"Well it's better when they faint than when they spew."
"I'd prefer the spew. Spew is just spew. When they faint, it could be something serious." I thought of the Indian guy choking to death on his sushi roll.

The medics said, "Go home, have something to eat, sleep, wake up, eat some more, go back to sleep." After he'd recovered and the medics head off, I walked him home. It would be a bit unprofessional to just send him off then maybe read in the paper tomorrow, "man found collapsed in street, abandoned by PT."

He had an exam at uni this afternoon, I know a guy in the faculty, called him up so his lecturer would know he might miss it.

I hope it doesn't scare him away from the gym!

After I got back I had someone else's PT session to cover. Healthy woman in her 50s. I had her do a deep bodyweight squat, she had a hard time doing five repetitions, but soon got into it. Then I put a 15kg dumbbell under her and she lifted that, wasn't easy but again she got into it. A few other exercises and she was done. She said she'd not done that before in her several months of PT sessions.

Recently I had an interesting discussion with a psychologist friend. He was quoting some guy with the unlikely name of Daniel Pink, who reckons that for motivation people need autonomy, mastery and purpose. That is, they need some control over what they're doing, some sense of getting better at things, and to have a feeling that all this hard work is going somewhere useful.

He commented that this was the genius of Starting Strength and the like, basic barbell exercises. You judge for yourself when to add weight (autonomy), you improve in technical lifting skill and strength (mastery), and you realise that in doing it all, you're getting somewhere (purpose). In contrast, balancing on a Bosu ball gives you no autonomy - you need an instructor there - no sense of mastery - you always feel like you suck - and really what's it all for? Thus no purpose.

On the other hand, if an exercise always needs an instructor, then this helps keep the trainer or coach employed. Hmmm, I have to think about this... :D

Again, whatever people are doing, they're getting their bodies moving, which is always good. But perhaps could be done a bit simpler.... And after the squats, the person felt a sense of autonomy - "I can do this at home!" - of mastery - "hey that last set was better than the first, right?" - and of purpose - "wow this works my bum! and picking up the groceries would be easier if I did this more often!" And that was the 102nd squatter. She didn't faint.

Straight after the PT session the manager grabbed me, "Just wanted a chat, time for another performance review."
"Well I assume I do alright in the first aid part."

Busy day.

Today I found a couple of guys "squatting" on the Smith machine. "Squat rack's free now, lads, you can stop that bullshit." I took them over there and taught them how to squat. Then one of them pleased me very well by saying, "Now about deadlift..." and away we went. Turned out that guy had an appointment with me this week to show him through a programme another instructor had written.

"I told her I wanted just barbells, compound lifts, heavy."

"Good." I went and looked for it. There were 18 different exercises over two days, 3 of which involved Swiss balls and 2 of which involved medicine balls, only 3 compound lifts and...

I slipped it into the back of the drawer, "Sorry mate, I couldn't find it, don't worry, I'll write you one when you come."

I slipped it into the back of the drawer, "Sorry mate, I couldn't find it, don't worry, I'll write you one when you come."

You sneaky bastard. I like your style.

How are the 3 places holding up, I believe you said you were thinking of dropping one of them.

You sneaky bastard. I like your style.
In fact it was a 3-day workout, when I turned the page over there was another day. I lost it, actually. Well, it showed up in my bag, but now I've taken it home, I must destroy it.

Remember, this is a healthy young man who has expressed the goals, "I want to get massive, and I want to use barbells and compounds to do it. Okay, not massive, but bigger. And keep the workout under an hour."

Day 1
Warmup, pushups 3x8
Weights,
Seated (or with barbell) chest press, 3x10-12
Standing dumbbell shoulder press, 3x10-12
Seated row, 3x10-12
DB fly, 3x10-12
Chinups, 3x10-12
Military press, 3x10-12
DB biceps [I assume "curls" are meant here]
Tricep pull down [pull? maybe face away from the machine...?]
Plank - build up to 3 minutes

Day 2
Squats on smith machine, 2 sets easy, 2 sets deeper-heavier
Calf raises on smith, 3x10-12
Lunges on smith or DB, 3x10-12
Hamstring curls seated, 3x10-12
Deadlift barbell, 3x10-12
Back extension, 3x10-12
Clean & press BB, 3x10-12
Leg raises, 3x10-12
50 crunchies [workout meal?]
50 medicine ball twists / bicycle [?]

Day 3
Warmup, assisted chinups, 3x8
Lunges on step with DB, 3x10-12
Military press on swiss ball, 3x10-12 [he's supposed to stand with heels together on a swiss ball pressing?]
Hamstring curls, 3x10-12
Lat pulldown, 3x10-12
Seated leg extension, 3x10-12
Bicep on swiss ball, 3x10-12 [bicep curls?]
Tricep dips - legs out, 3x10-12
sit on swiss ball, feet off ground - 1 minute
I felt that was a workout just typing it all out. I'd be impressed if he could do each of the three in under an hour.

At a recent staff meeting, the boss had said, "You don't need long and complicated programmes, just 3-6 compound exercises is enough, maybe some core or corrective, that's it." The trainer who wrote the above routine wasn't at the meeting.

Since the old one is tragically lost forever, I have to come up with my own. I am not as smart as people who read Muscle & Fiction so I have to keep the routines simple.
Squat, 3x5 warmup, 1x20 work
Overhead press, 3x5 warmup, 3x4-6 work
Deadlift, 3x5 warmup, 3x4-6 work​

I know he can squat 40kg and deadlift 60kg for 5, because we did it yesterday in teaching the technique. I don't know if he can do a chinup, etc. If he expresses a desire for variety, alternate the OHP with bench, the deadlift with rows or chinups, providing he can do all those okay and with good form. The above is just off the top of my head, of course when I show him the exercises I will alter it according to his performance etc.

I believe in supporting other trainers, but there are limits.

Last edited:
Had to facepalm at that workout..Sounds like the man who wants to be trained actually knows more than this girl.

Is the information you need to learn to get the certificates in every state the same? I don't want to be a PT (I suck at talking to people), but I'd be interested in learning the material anyway. Any way I can get the info they do?

Alpha Moth said:
Is the information you need to learn to get the certificates in every state the same? I don't want to be a PT (I suck at talking to people), but I'd be interested in learning the material anyway. Any way I can get the info they do?
Sure, just get the books. To be honest, I think the most important single aspect of being an effective trainer or coach is exercise technique and exercise physiology. Energy systems, the structure of the heart, etc, are all nice to know, but not that relevant with 99% of the people you're dealing with, or in your own training.

But if you know that the hamstrings and glutes are more involved in the bottom half of the squat, and that a wide stance will usually allow a deeper squat, if you've a keen eye and can spot when people are turning a deadlift into a hip extension followed by back extension, rather than a single movement - well that will do more for you, in my opinion.

And these things are not well-covered in most books or courses. Get some book like Gray's Anatomy and study it well, muscles, origins and insertions, etc. Then just find an experienced coach or trainer and ask to hang out with them while they train people.

dave said:
How are the 3 places holding up, I believe you said you were thinking of dropping one of them.
It's 2 places. Remember, I went to 6 interviews, 3 had practical components, 3 didn't. The 3 with practicals all offered me a job, the 3 without didn't. I accepted 2 of the 3. By this time I was somewhat settled in the 2 jobs, and realised just handling those 2 was enough for me, so I haven't applied for any more.

Basically, I am working at Hawthorn in the mornings, and Box Hill in the evenings, and doing this 5 days a week. The two jobs combined make up a full-time job. It's my hope that the hours at one will expand - whether from more gym shifts or more PT clients - and then just one will be a full-time equivalent job, 30+ hours a week.

For example, this week I have,
Hawthorn, GI 23hr, PT 3hr (some PT hours overlap with GI)
Box Hill, GI 8hr, PT 3hr (no overlap)
for 34 or so hours in all. As I noted before, these hours are split up in early mornings and evenings, and so more tiring than you might expect just from the count of the hours.

In the two months I've been there, Hawthorn has already gone from 7.5 to 18.5 regularly rostered hours each week, and Box Hill went from offering me no shifts at all, to having about 24 hours a week available if I wanted it; I have accepted less than I could since I want to sleep some time, do my own training, and see my wife - family comes first. After tax I am getting about $600 a week.

As I said, my goal is to have around a dozen clients at each place by March 2011. 12 clients with 1-2 sessions a week each would be 12-24 sessions, or 6-12 hours of PTing or small group training weekly. That plus 20-24 hours of GI work would make 26-36 hours of work, and around $750 a week after tax, which since my wife is a full-time working professional and we have only a small mortgage, is enough for us.

Day 1
Warmup, pushups 3x8
Weights,
Seated (or with barbell) chest press, 3x10-12
Standing dumbbell shoulder press, 3x10-12
Seated row, 3x10-12
DB fly, 3x10-12
Chinups, 3x10-12
Military press, 3x10-12
DB biceps [I assume "curls" are meant here]
Tricep pull down [pull? maybe face away from the machine...?]
Plank - build up to 3 minutes

Day 2
Squats on smith machine, 2 sets easy, 2 sets deeper-heavier
Calf raises on smith, 3x10-12
Lunges on smith or DB, 3x10-12
Hamstring curls seated, 3x10-12
Deadlift barbell, 3x10-12
Back extension, 3x10-12
Clean & press BB, 3x10-12
Leg raises, 3x10-12
50 crunchies [workout meal?]
50 medicine ball twists / bicycle [?]

Day 3
Warmup, assisted chinups, 3x8
Lunges on step with DB, 3x10-12
Military press on swiss ball, 3x10-12 [he's supposed to stand with heels together on a swiss ball pressing?]
Hamstring curls, 3x10-12
Lat pulldown, 3x10-12
Seated leg extension, 3x10-12
Bicep on swiss ball, 3x10-12 [bicep curls?]
Tricep dips - legs out, 3x10-12
sit on swiss ball, feet off ground - 1 minute
I felt that was a workout just typing it all out. I'd be impressed if he could do each of the three in under an hour.

I'd be amazed if it took Gareer any longer than 20 minutes to do one of those workouts.

I'd be amazed if it took Gareer any longer than 20 minutes to do one of those workouts.

Call.

It's 2 places. Remember, I went to 6 interviews, 3 had practical components, 3 didn't. The 3 with practicals all offered me a job, the 3 without didn't. I accepted 2 of the 3. By this time I was somewhat settled in the 2 jobs, and realised just handling those 2 was enough for me, so I haven't applied for any more.

Yep I don't know how I could have gotten confused.

Hours today, 0600-1300, then 1800-2200. I was supposed to finish the first shift at 1200, but a mother and son came for a health consult, the trainer who was supposed to meet them hadn't arrived yet. He wandered in at 1215, I shunted the boy to him and kept talking to the mother. She wanted stronger legs, I taught her to squat, she took to it quite well.

I got home 1400, knocked some food back, checked emails, then slept 1500-1630. Got up, dressed, then off to work again.

This morning I found out my guy who fainted during the programme showthrough is coming back in, well done that man, ballsy. He will do well with that attitude. I also found out everyone thought it'd been a PT session.

"We just assumed you had pushed him really hard," said the manager. I might get a reputation...

Tonight two guys were doing overhead presses, or their version of it, which involved lots of bending their lower back enormously. I was busy helping someone squat so couldn't step in, another trainer tried but they didn't listen. She is a young woman, and a young woman couldn't possibly know more about lifting than a 65kg 18 year old boy.

I'll sort them out another day.

Lots of politics at one of the two workplaces. All we're doing is teaching and encouraging people to pick up heavy shit and put it down again, seriously guys, build a bridge and get over it.

Last edited:
Tonight two guys were doing overhead presses, or their version of it, which involved lots of bending their lower back enormously. I was busy helping someone squat so couldn't step in, another trainer tried but they didn't listen. She is a young woman, and a young woman couldn't possibly know more about lifting than a 65kg 18 year old boy.

I'll sort them out another day.

It sucks, but unfortunately a lot of young blokes will have that attitude towards many women trainers, or bloke trainers who aren't huge themselves.

At the end of the day, they're the ones missing out.