• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

I strongly agree with you Kyle on most of the points raised.

The only thing is that I believe that the Biggest Loser is good in the sense that it does raise awareness of the importance of exercise and nutrition. I say this conditionally...because I certainly do not agree with their meal replacement shakes they have introduced, nor the training/nutritional protocols that they implement with their contestants. At least people's health through physical exercise and nutrition is more conscious in people's minds nowadays.

On the topic of rapid weight loss, yes, this is a massive flaw with the Biggest Loser which does make it, in my opinion, extremely unsafe. Here's an article I wrote up on rapid weight loss a while ago:

Yo-Yo Dieting - No-No Dieting

I actually referenced a case study from the Biggest Loser too :)

My only defense of the biggest loser is that the rapid weight loss and the way they do it may be dangerous but weighed up against the alternative of being a habitual lard arse who will die an early agonizing death over many years, the former is preferable.How many of the contestants would make any changes without the program?

I went into a Tyre Shop in Brisbane to get two tyres for my Fiancee's car. The chick who served was from the last biggest loser. Anyway, it seems that whatever she had learnt on the show had gone out the door. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. She wasn't that old though, haha.

You're right, they make changes with the programme - they're worse off.

The extreme dieting and exercise leads to a loss of muscle mass along with the fat, which means that if they return to a less than starvation diet, they'll put the fat back on - only this time with less muscle to support the large body.

However, the real issue is not the fate of the contestants themselves, but the picture presented to the world of physical training and nutrition issues.

It presents the training and diet as more extreme than is good for people or needed, thus putting people off any change.

And the people most in need of change for health and quality of life have been given an extra excuse, "well if I really have to I can do it in a few months, easy."

Lastly, as I said, it causes stupid and harmful ideas to spread within the industry. Moron PTs give people this training, and uninformed clients will ask PTs for this sort of training because they saw it on the show.

Overall, it does far, far more harm than good. Saying "at least the show makes people aware of the issues" is like saying, "at least Rambo gets people to join the Army." Yes, but what kind of people?

Lastly, as I said, it causes stupid and harmful ideas to spread within the industry. Moron PTs give people this training, and uninformed clients will ask PTs for this sort of training because they saw it on the show.

Agreed. Because it is so easy to become qualified in this industry, you do get some real dimwits who will blindly prescribe an exercise programme that has the potential to be quite harmful. Whilst it can be lots of fun thrashing a client if that's what they want, personal trainers do have a duty of care to ensure that the training protocol employed is suitable for them.

So jumping squats with 80kgs on the back... not good? lol, i kid you not I have witnessed it..

We've done them at PTC, gone up to bodyweight on the best athletes.

Not a good exercise for novices, but a legitamately great exercise for those seeking explosive power.

Again, an advanced technique, like throwing the bar up on bench press and catching it.

Contestants on the Biggest Loser are just like everyone else. When they don't stick to their healthy eating and fitness regime, the weight comes back on. If you can't lose weight when you are isolated in a house with nothing to do but exercise, have all of your meals built for you by a dietician and are surrounded by trainers and doctors, then you never will. Real life is the real challenge!

Have met Michelle Bridges a couple of times and heard her talk. It has really damaged my image of her. Very skinny, not a lot of muscle. She only consumes 1200 cals a day. She does have a real passion for health and fitness, but I want to see someone who looks strong!

To be honest I have never seen the show.I just did a google on the trainers and they all LOOK the part.Undoubtedly that`s why they are on it,all photogenic and all that but are they just pretty faces or do they seem to know what they are on about.Or are they just full of it?
IHOMO it would be a big money spinner for them and elevate them into semi celeb status but it would mean selling out completely.

Michelle Bridges hasn't sold out. She does know her stuff and is incredibly passionate about it. I just don't agree with her style of training. Both were highly successful trainers with a relatively high profile before the show.

The biggest loser is bullshit.
It is totally scripted with directors, editors etc etc.
They show you only 1/100 of what actually goes on during the show and as Kyle said, how come all the obese people are healthy?
yeah they are hand-picked of course.
Give me a F***** break puleeeze.

Last edited:
Reality TV is without a doubt the biggest crock of shit to ever grace our screens.

Listening to competitors from Survivor was a real eye opener. Nothing is what it seems.

Like Adrian said, its all scripted

i just saw this thread.. Ive also done the cert 3 in PT at tafe. Was working as a PT for a year at bankstown FF (before i realized i was getting screwed over... They expect u to pay rent $350 a week as part of their service to getting clients)

Then came along the changes in cert 4 to continue being a PT and now you will need to do continued updated exams to continue doing so.

Average income of around $65-150 bux an hour depending on where your working (bondi u charge up to 100 as the clients up there have the cash).

The harder clients to train i have had in the past were the really obese ones u really gotta start em out slow and ease em into the startup program you are taught in class.

The most recent trainer I trialled out didn't know what Crossfit was. (Luckily it was only a free trial, so I didn't lose anything, except maybe my time)

Surely I thought she would've picked up this knowledge in PT school? If not in the course, then at least in passing?!

Exercise Programming
Today we had "exercise programming", with scenarios from the manual.

"Susan" was a 38 year old woman who wanted to lose 8-10kg and "tone up tummy, hips and thighs" and said "I don't want to get too big and muscley." Susan was played by Noodles, which made for a strange experience - she had remarkably low bodyfat and narrow hips for a woman, and seemed embarrassed to be there. My first thought was having her do squats, deadlifts, and so on, but of course I want her to come back, so I figured, you have to balance what is actually good for them with what they'll actually stick with.

So I assigned her machine bench press, dumbell bent over rows, dumbell lunges, and crunches, followed by some time on the stepper. Really she needs a more resistance work than that, but what I've noticed around the gym is that the women doing both resistance and cardio in the same workout, if they're pressed for time or tired... they drop the weights and just do cardio. And if they're given just resistance work they don't do any, they drop it all and do cardio.

So you have to keep it short and simple. And the lunges and stepper would give her a bit of a burn in her bum and thighs and make her feel she's worked out.

The other scenario was Anthony, a 34 year old bloke who'd played lots of football and wanted bigger chesticles. Well, easy there, big compound lifts, he'll enjoy that. After I wrote up the full-body workout she wanted me to write up a split routine. "What for? Can he bench his own weight for reps? Squat double his weight once? Pointless."

"No, it can be useful for him."

"Why? It says he's not done much gym work. The point of split routines is that you've worked that part so hard, it won't have recovered by the next workout - so you work something else instead. So you bring in splits when the person can work with really great intensity. That's not this guy. Maybe after his first year of training, but not now."

"Well, not necessarily. Lots of people do splits early on."

"Yes, and lots of people get no results."

"Well it's a useful exercise to design a split programme anyway."

"Okay."

The workouts I wrote up and the reasoning behind them were good, the teacher said. Again, all this is with the idea that you ask them their goals, write up the workout, show them through it, and then leave them to it. It's very different if the instructor is there supervising the whole time, you can get them to do all sorts of useful stuff then.

This is an idea that was new to Soviet Boxer, too. He was saying that these were all basic exercises, what a 7 year old could do. In the former Eastern bloc countries, every school has a gymnasium - with vaulting horses and rings and everything, gymnastics is a part of every day. We had to explain that this isn't so in Australia, we're a country of lazy cripples, so we have to keep it slow and simple :p

And again, in these gymnasiums the students would be constantly supervised. This is very different from mainstream gyms. It's a different approach.

Teachers
The place has apparently hired a new teacher to replace the one or two who've bailed on us, and this one sat in on us - they've not decided timetables yet.

Two... um, "remarkable" comments I heard from teachers today:

"What are 21s?" [described by Fadi here, for those who don't know], and

"You can't deadlift? Doesn't matter, deadlifts are overrated anyway."

I didn't pursue this second one, but I will in the future. So I'm not surprised a PT didn't know what Crossfit was. It's as I've said before about the class: some people run off as soon as they can, others hang around to ask questions and further their knowledge.

I see now the purpose of the Continuing Education Credits required to keep membership of Fitness Australia... to try to minimise these strange little gaps in people's knowledge.

Last edited:
See, now I realise your making this shit up Kyle, no way a teacher said that to you, no way. Split routines, dont deadlift, you nearly had me too lol

i see things havn't changed in cert 3 ... :D

Still same old issues with teachers.. they swear doing 1/4 squats or leg presses are the way to go .. esp with tafe they always get the wack jobs.. guess its cheaper than the FIA which costs like $4k for 5 intense weeks.

So what would these "teachers" say to someone like me if I decide to rock up to one of their classroom? Sometimes I wonder!

Here's an old Arabic proverb that may fit the occasion nicely:
o Literal meaning: Give the bread dough to the baker even if he eats half of it.
o Idiomatic meaning: Give the job to a person who knows how to perform it best even if it will cost you much.

As for this:
"You can't deadlift? Doesn't matter, deadlifts are overrated anyway."
Cosider my contribution a free present to your teacher Kyle.

Deadlift. I can think of three off the top of my head...
1. Stiff-legged dedlifts
2. Sumo deadlifts- the adductor and quadriceps muscles get a hammering here.
3.Classic deadlift

The classic deadlift is "overrated " as the good teacher has said and I will point out why right at the end. But first let's see what muscles are involved in this overrated exercise:

1. Splenius capitis
2. serratus posterior superior
3. levator scapula
4. Rhomboid minor
5. Trapezius
6. Rhomboid major
7. Teres major
8. Teres minor
9. Latissimus dorsi (small muscle really)!
10. External oblique
11. Gluteus maximus (the smallest muscle in the body)!!
12. Quadriceps (puf, it's only leg for God's sake)!!!
13. Spinalis thoracis
14. Longissimus horacis
15. Lliocostalis
16. Quadratus lumborum
17. Piriformis
18. Bicep femoris, long head
19. Rectus abdominis
20. Flexor digitorum
21. I'm bloody tired!!!
22. No calves; the teacher is right. Therefore it is overrated!!!!

Fadi.