• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

Hey kyle, i noticed you said a personal trainer isnt qualified to make diet plans for people, only the training program and show them how to use equipment and work out properly........ so these clients *the majority of them fat/unfit people wanting to lose weight* wont get the results because you cant set up there diets? Lets face it the majority of people wanting these goals have no idea what a b.m.r/calorie maintenance level is> therefore will probly try and eat more healthy but still wont lose weight, because there just training, but dont follow the diet which will actually get them to lose weight............... How do you get in a job where you can set up a diet plan/training program to suit the clients needs?

Kyle boycotts this forum. In answer to your question explaining basic macronutrient information, calories, energy expenditure, BMR etc is fine writing up a diet is not. A diet involves a lot more than these points and should be performed by someone who spends their time learning about micronutrient needs, phytonutrients, salt/potassium balance, nutritional diseases etc. A PT does not have this knowledge nor legally are they covered in the area of diet plans (food plans).

Ill take a stab at this.

As a personal trainer and Without having nutrition background or qualifications you are not legally allowed to give out nutritional programs because you are a personal trainer. And if something were to go wrong your not be covered by your insurance (i think indemnity)

Kyle boycotts this forum. In answer to your question explaining basic macronutrient information, calories, energy expenditure, BMR etc is fine writing up a diet is not. A diet involves a lot more than these points and should be performed by someone who spends their time learning about micronutrient needs, phytonutrients, salt/potassium balance, nutritional diseases etc. A PT does not have this knowledge nor legally are they covered in the area of diet plans (food plans).

Ok so basically explain to them, in order to lose weight you need to eat under a calorie maintenance level and so fourth, but they should see a nutritionist to set up a diet to suit there goals.

Ok so basically explain to them, in order to lose weight you need to eat under a calorie maintenance level and so fourth, but they should see a nutritionist to set up a diet to suit there goals.

Yes. And add in basic macro needs for bodycomp plus other basic info. You can set them calorie targets etc for weightloss etc but you should steer clear of diet plans (I also think dieticians should steer clear of diet plans too as it makes a diet harder to stick to). Body composition is a PT or exercise professionals area "health" in dietary regards is not and therefore limits what a PT should be providing. Provide info for body comp and leave the rest up to the client.

Yes. And add in basic macro needs for bodycomp plus other basic info. You can set them calorie targets etc for weightloss etc but you should steer clear of diet plans (I also think dieticians should steer clear of diet plans too as it makes a diet harder to stick to). Body composition is a PT or exercise professionals area "health" in dietary regards is not and therefore limits what a PT should be providing. Provide info for body comp and leave the rest up to the client.

Ok thanx champ.

. A diet involves a lot more than these points and should be performed by someone who spends their time learning about micronutrient needs, phytonutrients, salt/potassium balance, nutritional diseases etc. A PT does not have this knowledge nor legally are they covered in the area of diet plans (food plans).

A) Don't most people get by without caring about most of this?
B) People suing people is ridiculous and should be banned.

(The Nanny state is alive and well in this country)

Last edited:
If you provide that service (diet plan) you have to take these things into consideration. But yes who really gives a shit :D. Too much anally retentive shit going on with diets which makes life hard.

Whether or not eating more or less often makes a difference is a matter of perspective.

Obviously, food is fuel, but it's more than that. It is nutrition, which is the basis of good health.

But, we tend to look at body composition as the only meaningful metric with regards to diet.

Do you want to weigh more? Eat more.

Do you want to weigh less? Eat less.

Do you want to perform better? Pay attention to the quality of the food you eat.

Do you want to be healthy? Eat a variety of fresh foods.

A) Don't most people get by without caring about most of this?
B) People suing people is ridiculous and should be banned.

(The Nanny state is alive and well in this country)

I suppose you believe that a plumber should not be sued or charged if he performs electrical work and ends up killing someone?

If you are not qualified/capable to give someone a full nutritional plan but do so anyway you are being negligent to their health, and that never goes down well in court (and nor should it)

unless your certified to give out 1-1 nutrition plans i wouldn't be doing it and taking peoples money.

I advise ad educate my members on the basics of macros but don't really sit there and do in depth nutrition plans. (don't get paid enough)

I believe there is a line between giving your opinion on a certain diet AND actually giving out a specific diet to somebody if your in this industry though.

I enrolled today at www.onfit.com.au. Got a good deal, $2800 for cert 3 and 4. They were giving cert 3 for free for the first 20 people to enroll in september. Usually its a little over $4000 for both

So if all goes well at the interview, I expect to do a few free shifts, and after that get officially employed. I'd encourage my current clients to join up there, if they don't want to I can still train them outside.[/QUOTE]

Hey mate, what process did u go through to get clients outside of the gym, ad in the paper? internet site?

Not sure if I should make my own thread or not, but I'm hoping to get some advice on something I've been considering for a while.

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a 3 year Sports and Exercise science degree. In the long run I'd like to get into EP or any other clinical work. Ideally, I'd like to graduate with some extra experience in this sort of field (working with and managing clients etc), however I'm finding it difficult to find any places that are willing to hire a student with a (yet) incomplete degree and no previous experience. Looking through job ads in the paper/online, most places require applicants to have cert III + IV.

So, I've thought about deferring my 3rd year of uni to complete a cert 3/4, work for the rest of year (hopefully), gain experience, then pick it all up again the year after and then finish the degree.

I've spoken to a few people about this idea, half say it's a good idea, the other half recommends I finish my degree first.

Any advice or words of wisdom is much appreciated. :)

Your student insurance is gonna be a big plus in doing EP hours. If you defer you won't have that. Who have you contacted? I'd be looking at hospitals/private outpatient clinics.

Edit: There's also nothing in a Cert 3/4 you don't get in your degree, and the degree will look better on a resume. The problem is with Exercise and Sport Science you largely graduate as a personal trainer with a fancy certificate. If you enjoy EP stuff there are roles out there, though.

Talk to the registration companies about what you need to be registered. Give them your transcript and they should be able to tell you what you need to get registered.

I would advise working as a PT first to get experience in base level exercise programming and instruction and continue working through to getting EP registration. You could probably finish of the cert subjects you need over summer break (easily) and be work ready before school starts again. No need to defer.

Moons stated good points. Unless you go for honours/phd (research/sport team side of things) you are a glorified PT and usual non better than most cert PTs, all comes down to self education and experience from what I have seen.

Also look into working as an allied health assistant to get experience rather than as a PT. You don't program but you are in charge of patients and learn from physios.

I can give you more info if you want. I've done both PT and AHA side of things. Decided not to go EP route.

"They need to think about the routines overnight? Does she have multiple sclerosis, a recent knee reconstruction, recent acromioplasty and a scoliosis or something? Surely we're not supposed to take the health consult forms home with us, confidentiality and all that?"

Hey mate, do you learn about these things in cert 3 and 4? things like Lordosis and if a client has it, and how to correct it?

Not sure if I should make my own thread or not, but I'm hoping to get some advice on something I've been considering for a while.

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a 3 year Sports and Exercise science degree. In the long run I'd like to get into EP or any other clinical work. Ideally, I'd like to graduate with some extra experience in this sort of field (working with and managing clients etc), however I'm finding it difficult to find any places that are willing to hire a student with a (yet) incomplete degree and no previous experience. Looking through job ads in the paper/online, most places require applicants to have cert III + IV.

So, I've thought about deferring my 3rd year of uni to complete a cert 3/4, work for the rest of year (hopefully), gain experience, then pick it all up again the year after and then finish the degree.

I've spoken to a few people about this idea, half say it's a good idea, the other half recommends I finish my degree first.

Any advice or words of wisdom is much appreciated. :)

Not that I would call myself an expert in the area...
But you could probably complete the PT courses over the Summer with no need to defer your uni.

Because of your current uni degree you will probably whizz through some of the PT content too.

Almost exactly five years since I started this thread, people might be interested in how things have turned out.

At GPC Nationals today my client Rosemary squatted 75, benched 30 and deadlifted 95kg for a total of 200, and had a 4th deadlift of 100kg. Not bad for a shortarsed 66yo asthmatic with high blood pressure and 3 years post-herniation of L3/4 and L4/5 with osteoarthritis in her spine.

My wife went 130/65/155 for 350kg.

In 12 weeks neither of them missed a single workout. Consistent effort over time gets results.

It took me 2.5 years of being a PT to get anyone to go to a powerlifting meet, the peak was I think 8 people at a novice meet October last year. It's taken almost 4 years to get them to Nationals. Most people "just want to tone up." But some of them want to do productive training.

I work in the mornings at a community gym, and in the evenings in my garage gym. I've gone about as far as I can at the community gym, so I'm trying to build up the garage. It worked for Markos, who's had dozens of lifters do far better than anyone I've trained, who is making a good living at PTC HQ in Carrum Downs, and who had Ed Coan as the MC and guest judge at GPC Nats today. I don't expect his level of success, but I think I can do well given time.

I'm earning about $40,000 on 20-25hr a week of work. That's the money. As for job satisfaction, well - with weights, you change lives.