• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ab Workout?

buncey

hey guys, just wondering what type of ab work you do, what program you stick with and what you do, how many times a week. pretty keen to get on top of some ab work!
cheers

Abs are 97% diet, so make sure that is in check before you worry about what program to do. No point doing the exercise if you dont get the bodyfat down - "generally" speaking its 10% or lower to get a visible 6 pack.

And fwiw, I find ab ripper x to be a good ab workout.

I haven't done any ab work for months cos I'm a lazy c*nt. When I was doing them I started off with bodyweight crunches and lying sidebends. I then progressed to weighted crunches on a Swiss ball, holding 20kg plate behind my head. I also did a few sessions of dumbbell sidebends. These can be tricky to hit the muscle properly as correct form is important.

For some strange reason (probably poor form) I found the weighted crunches a fair bit easier than bodyweight. I'd do 17-18 with strict form at bodyweight and stop with my abs burning with pain. I'd do 30 reps with the 20kg plate and even though it worked abs reasonably well I'd mainly stop the set due to boredom. Something to do with the bloody swiss ball is my guess, cos I did the bw version flat on the ground.

As I said I don't do em at all now, not really a high priority, but I plan to extract the digit at some point and get back to it.

Last edited:
When I'm a member of a gym I do weighted crunches on the cable or pull down machine. Here at home I do plank variations.

Yeah, I've done the ab wheel a few times. That's an interesting exploration of pain.

I mix it up.
Ab wheel (have progressed to doing these standing now)
planks
fit ball crunches
weighted crunches
t-pushups
reverse crunches (hold fit ball between feet and pass to hands and back)
suitcase walks with KB.

Just depends what I feel like.

Hardest I have found is dragon flags. Hard on lower back.