• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A result of your environment

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[h=2]Does anyone think the gym you use reflects upon the results you get? By that I mean if you train a proper hardcore hellhole surrounded by monsters you will become one too and if you train in somewhere like fitness first, you'll end up looking like a pretty boy?[/h]

Yes and no. If you're motivated and focused on a goal, you'll get the results where ever you train. If you train for the wrong reasons and just copy everyone without doing you're own research, then you'll look like everyone around you.

^ what he said.

It also comes down to gear available. Your less likely to find the traditional range of plate loaded machines at a fitness first establishment and more equipment geared toward your 'meat head' gym goer at the corrugated shed type establishment that we've all encountered at some stage or another.

If you go to fitness first and do mega monster lifts using all available plates at your bar, people stare at you like a freak and think you're some attention seeking loser, which is offputting.

Of course it can - but it also comes down to the individual - some people just dont have that motivation to take themselves to the next level - if they dont have this then it doesnt matter the gym you train in.

I have seen 1st hand though people changing to better gyms/better environments and getting much greater results.

If ever there was a secret to to all this, I think it's working out with people that that inspire you to work harder than you personally thought possible to.

I've stated before that a "proper" workout will look downright scary to an onlooker.

So, for a beginner, I think that more often than not, places like fitness first and the like are a bad idea if someone wants to biuld muscle safely and slowly.

I think once you've done a handful of proper workouts that leave you on lying on the floor and you continue that work ethic, then whatever gym you visit won't matter

Yes and no, if I wanted to take my powerlifting to the next level I would need to significantly change my life around the times I need to train and who I need to train with and where. I know I'm getting sub par results training by myself at a franchise gym, but the reality is my busy life and other priorities dictate that I train late at night with no spotters, but that doesn't mean I don't put 110% into my training.

To some extent yes, for MOST people if you are the biggest or strongest in your gym then motivation for further improvement has to come from an external source, but if there is some high class competitive BBer or PL there and that's your goal then there is someone there always showing you what you could achieve and it is a physical motivation which I is always there in front of you.

I get results despite the gym environment I have - my gym calls itself a "health club" and most of the members are DYEL teenagers doing advanced BB splits, women doing Les Mills classes and hamsters on treadmills. I get a bit self conscious every time I load more than 160kg on the bar because I use most of the gym's 20kg plates and people tend to start staring.

I would probably do better at a PL gym, but I'm happy doing my own routine in my own time, and it's handy having a leg curl machine / cables there for use. I also remind myself that even though I might lift more than most people there, that in the grander sense I'm still at an intermediate level for my bodyweight.

Yes, I think being surrounded by monsters will drive you harder to become one, you walk in and from day one its almost an expectation to adapt and fit in.
Fucking about at Fernwood fitness will be a much longer road to monsterhood.

Absolutely. This is one of the reasons I take my clients to competitions. If a woman gets a 100kg deadlift in a mainstream gym, she'll almost always be the strongest woman there. She becomes slack, takes it easy.

Down at a black iron this woman will look to her left and see a 16yo girl with 110, to her right and see a 49yo mother of four with 140, look back at her 100 and say, "Well, I guess that's a good start."

So I take them to competitions so they can see these people much stronger than them, they return to the community gym with a sense of where they are and where they could be, this keeps them driven to do better. It inspires the women, a lot of the guys it kind of deflates them though. The male ego is a delicate thing.

I agree Kyle, at Fuzzy's gym a 100kg deadlift is like the moment where we go "Oh good! we can actually do normal programming for you now"
Women come in and they have no fucking clue what is good and what is not. 100kg for a woman is normal lol, weak even. So they get that first 100kg deadlift pretty fast.

100kg deadlift normal for women? The average chick I see training are deadlifting fixed BB 30kg max lol.

A result of your environment
No I don't, not if we're talking about the end results no. If you subject a person and make him or her aware of a particular environment, as compared with a totally different one, then leave them alone, you would have sowed the seed inside of their head and gave them all the options they need to choose how they wish to train (and eventually end up).

If that drive, that fire in thebelly is there, then that would drive and create enough of a motivation to seethat lifter through irrespective if he's training all alone in some dungeonsomewhere or not. First expose him to the different environments, then leavehim be...one can create the perfect environment in one's own head.There's an internal as well as an external environment. I fully believe thatbased on both experience as well as observation. Observation of amazinglystrong lifters who crack open under pressure, not external pressure butinternal pressure. The one they've allowed to be created and grow in their ownheads through the negative chatter box. I know, I'm always ending up back atthe psychological base, the self-confidence and self-worth base.

Arnold knew all about it, Lou had to find out the hard way....

Fadi.

Last edited:
I'd like to think access to a decent gym or a training partner would help me but the reality is I let myself down more than any of that could make up for. I would just end up poorer. I have most of the equipment I need, I just need to keep motivated.

I agree Kyle, at Fuzzy's gym a 100kg deadlift is like the moment where we go "Oh good! we can actually do normal programming for you now"
Women come in and they have no fucking clue what is good and what is not. 100kg for a woman is normal lol, weak even. So they get that first 100kg deadlift pretty fast.

Have to agree with this.

100kg deadlift normal for women? The average chick I see training are deadlifting fixed BB 30kg max lol.

Well you obviously train in the wrong place with women who have no idea, most women that I have seen train properly will hit a 100Kg dead lift in a few weeks or even a few training session with the right guidance, I think my misses pulled her first 100kg dead lift at 36 years old during her third dead lift session ever in her life.

Well you obviously train in the wrong place with women who have no idea, most women that I have seen train properly will hit a 100Kg dead lift in a few weeks or even a few training session with the right guidance, I think my misses pulled her first 100kg dead lift at 36 years old during her third dead lift session ever in her life.

Really? Maybe commercial gym chicks are a different breed. The most I have seen a chick DL in my gym is 60kg, and she was a crossfitter. Most are scared of big weights. Just last week when I was deadlifting the chick doing tricep kickbacks next to me actually let out a little whimper as I finished my first rep lol.

Really? Maybe commercial gym chicks are a different breed. The most I have seen a chick DL in my gym is 60kg, and she was a crossfitter. Most are scared of big weights. Just last week when I was deadlifting the chick doing tricep kickbacks next to me actually let out a little whimper as I finished my first rep lol.

Yes 100% correct I think in a commercial gym a 100kg dead lift from a guy is a big deal.

Had a mate of mine in Sydney who is about 27 post a photo of himself up on Facebook just the other day Dead Lifting 120kg…..lol, I have a very weak dead lift but still use 120kg as warm up at 45 years old...

where I train does not impact HOW I train. assuming you have all the equipment you need to train, it should not matter.
But for some people, it might do. There is a psychological component and it does depend on how much you need motivation from your surroundings and others.

No matter what people think the environment you train in has an impact.

If you have a 200kg deadlift where are you more likely to improve. The gym where the next best dead is 100kg or the gym full of blokes deadlifting over 300.

The subconscious drive to beat the next bloke. The better help.

Also the gym full of 300kg + deadlifters will likely have better suppliers. Lol.