• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A disappointing routine

PowerBuilder

Earlier this year i contacted a multiple time Mr Australia (IFBB), who will always remain nameless about doing some powerbuilding, since he's well known for doing bodybuilding & powerlifting. After coughing up some cash, we did some to'ing & fro'ing about training aspects, supplementation & psychology he gave me the program listed below. I must say, that it looks rather like it was pulled out of Mens Health magazine & not from a senior succesful powerlifter / bodybuilder

Monday (Back):
Deadlifts 4 x 8 reps
Bent over rows 3 x 8 reps
Wide grip pulldowns 3 x 10 reps
Seated cable rows 3 x 10 reps

Tuesday (Shoulders & tris)
Seated shoulder press 3 x 8 reps
Side laterals 3 x 10 reps
Bent over laterals (or rear delt machine) 3 x 10 reps
Tricep Pushowns 3 x 10 reps
Skull crushers 3 x 10 reps

Thursday (Legs)
Squats 4 x 8 reps
Leg press 3 x 10 reps
Leg extension 3 x 12 reps
Leg curls 3 x 12 reps
Calf raise 3 x 12 reps

Friday (Chest & Bis)
Flat bench 4 x 8 reps
Incline dumbell press 3 x 8 reps
Flat dumbell flyes 3 x 10 reps
Standing barbell curls 3 x 8 reps
Dumbell concentration curls 3 x 10 reps

The last 2 sets of each exercise shoulod be the heaviest and most intense, remeber you will only get out of it what you put in. Dont let yourself get off track... stay focused.
I was less than impressed when i told him what specific things i wanted from this, i told him i wanted a 4 day split working between 85 & 95% of my 1RM. Sorry....leg extensions? DB curls ?

well he was a bodybuilder, the leg extension would help destroy your legs that bit more thuse encouraging the growth.

February 2003, April 2005, September 2007, December 2007, February 2008, November 2008, March 2009 Muscle & Fitness magazine.

April 1992, December 1992, February 1993, June 1993, October 1994, Musclemag magazine.

Serves you right for asking a bodybuilder for a program. I spoke to Berry Demay in America and he told me he had no program as it changed every workout, the magazines simply print what they like as the BB is contracted.

I watched a photo shoot at Golds gym Venice. Laura Crevalle(spelling) was DB incline pressing. They shot an entire roll of film for every REP.

I asked the photographer why after he'd finished. He said the lifters were only in shape for 2-3 weeks a year, they would use those images for years on training articles.

The fake 50lb plates were a cracker too, female assistants pinch gripping them like frisbees.

Dont stress, education costs, you got schooled by a pro.

You seem to be more interested in programs than any person I have seen on the net.

Squat,pull,press. Honest to good it really is that simple.Reps and sets arent critical at your current strength level, effort is.

When your squatting 150% bodyweight x 20 and deadlifting 200kg, you can look for ways to keep steadily improving.

I don't understand why you would pay a stranger you never met for a worthless workout routine. Strangers you've never met will give you worthless routines for free. For example,
PowerBuilder said:
i told him i wanted a 4 day split working between 85 & 95% of my 1RM
Monday: squat 3x6-8
Tuesday: bench press 3x6-8
Thursday: deadlift 3x6-8
Friday: crunches 10x 100

there you go, a worthless 4-day split routine working 85-95% 1RM.

I didn't look at your workout journal yet. Have you yet managed 5 reps at least of,
Bench & row, 100% bodyweight
Squat, 150%
Deadlift, 175%
?
If not, then you are still a rank beginner like most of us and should do a full-body routine 3 times a week. And that is not very complicated to come up with, in every session put something overhead, lift something off the ground, do a deep knee bend.

I hate to sound like Markos but it's true, the basic bodyparts are chest/shoulders/tris, back/bis and legs. Chest/shoulders/tris are worked by presses, bench, incline bench, overhead press, etc. Back/bis are worked by pulls, deadlift, chins, rows, cleans, etc. Legs are worked by bending at the hips and knees and then extending again while supporting or pushing weight, squats, deadlifts, etc.

Which all boils down to in every session put something overhead, lift something off the ground, do a deep knee bend. And in every session, more, more and more - more weight, or more reps, or more sets.

The basic routines are not that complicated. The complication comes in the technique, making sure that you get the most out of your exercise as possible. Someone else with the same build as me could get more out of squats with 60kg than I would with 100kg, because he does them with better technique - different movement during the squat, less rest between sets, different tempo of movement, whatever.

Seriously, why are you searching for all these different routines? What do you hope to accomplish?

i want to point out that he mailed me program in March. I haven't even touched it since it looked like & still does...complete shit

Markos is right, the sets/reps so much don't matter. Heck, even the actual lifts almost don't matter, as long as their big & progressivly getting heavier.

Most gifted idividuals are big in spite of what they do.
Having said that powerbuilder there is no harm trying and experimenting at your age you have plenty of time.
Someone once said:
success comes from good judgment, good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.

Earlier this year i contacted a multiple time Mr Australia (IFBB), who will always remain nameless about doing some powerbuilding, since he's well known for doing bodybuilding & powerlifting.
Only one name comes to mind and I'm pretty sure PTC is thinking of the same name going by the questions he asked.

I was less than impressed when i told him what specific things i wanted from this, i told him i wanted a 4 day split working between 85 & 95% of my 1RM. Sorry....leg extensions? DB curls ?
You could give something like this a go, doesn't have specific exercises but focuses on varied rep ranges working with a given number of sets and looking to get stronger every second week (the low rep-range weeks). Week 4 is a low intensity week allowing the body to "catch up".

Week 1
Intensity: High
Rep Range: 5-8

Week 2
Rep Range: 9-12

Week 3
Rep Range: 5-8

Week 4
Intensity: Moderate/Low
Rep Range: 12-15+

Just pick the exercises you want to do and you're away. You can even rotate the exercises from week to week, though to help monitor progression it'd be best to have week 1 & 3 identical.

Last edited: