• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A basic observation

PowerBuilder

I"ve noticed something interesting lately with guys (no girls squat at my gym....yet!!). I'm unsure if it happens in other gyms. It probably does, i just haven't been able to tour other gyms & see if it happens.

Today when watching a guy using the power rack to squat (who woulda guessed it!!) he was going fairly deep into the hole. Not parallel, maybe an inch or two away. Anyway....at the end of each set, he would end it with 1 or 2 actual parallel squats, where his quad would actually be parallel to the floor. I've noticed that a lot of the guys at my gym do this. It's possibly an unconsious thing.

squat2.jpg

Has anybody else here noticed it? It's usually done by guys are weekend warriors or at best, have been doing a 3 day split' but has acheived very little over their training career.

comments!

Last edited:
I think pay more attention to how you train and less about what the people around you do. I would be weirded out if someone watched me squat for a whole set....

lol..........deep in the hole IS NOT 2" ABOVE PARRALEL.

Deep in the hole is ass to ankles.

2" above parallel is called a half squat at PTC

Parallel is not thighs parallel at all, its hip and knee joint parallel, which is deeper.

lol at you clowns, pretty sure thats NOT the guy he's talking about lol

The guy pictured is squatting fine, and he's NOT using a power rack as PB mentioned in his OP

oh you guys. That's not who i was talking about. I pulled that pic from google images. Oddly enough the guy i saw doing it, had the pins set so he could go slightly below parallel, so really...he could've, he just didn't

Think that's weird? At my gym, there's a guy who i call hero that always spends 20 or so mins in the squat rack with 18 of those minutes being standing around / resting.

He loads each side with with 5 plates and squats a total of 220kg. Seriously, He goes only about 30 degrees down (parallel being 90degrees down).

Might as well not do it?

And when I ask him how many more sets he has (so i can get on the damn thing), he gives me attitude.

Whilst I'm digging the ongoing debate on squating, is anyone got any ideas on the opening post question?? (I have no fricken idea)

I get jealous when i see people doing squats because they always lift heavier than me. I have a bad knee injury thing going on. Anyway I do notice that when people do squats hardly anyone goes all the way down as far as they can go. Personally i don't do partial reps because if i did i can guarantee you i would not be able to walk after the first 2 or 3. Partials really aggravate my knee like you wouldn't believe.

If anyone has any tips of how to rebuild knee muscles and ligaments and what not id be grateful.