• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5/3/1 boring but big questions

YoHoJo

I have been looking at 5/3/1 boring but big 3 month challenge

Here it is
Workout A
1. Barbell Shoulder Press
Sets and reps according to 5/3/1
2. Barbell Shoulder Press
Sets: 5 Reps: 10 using 50%-60% of your max Rest: 60-90 sec
3. Chinups
Sets: 5 Reps: As many as possible Rest: 60-90 sec.

Workout B
1. Deadlift
2. Deadlift
Sets: 5 Reps: 10 using 50%-60% of your max Rest: 60-90 sec.
3. Hanging Leg Raise
Sets: 5 Reps: 12 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Workout C
1. Bench Press
2. Bench Press
3.Dumbbell Row
Sets: 5 Reps: 10-20 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Workout D
1. Squat
2. Squat
3. Leg Curl
Sets: 5 Reps: 10 Rest: 60-90 sec.

Is it that simple or do I need to pick my assistance exercises? And what can be substituted for squats?

Last edited:
I can't squat yet, I have broken my femur once I get to about parallel pain is the limiting factor, trying to start with body weight squats but it's going to take a long time until I can do a full squat

So I was wondering what can be substituted for them

So get rid of the leg curls? And is it really as simple as say day 1 military press do the 5/3/1 rep ranges then military press 5x10 then chinups?

Seems too simple

So have you done it wingman? How was it?

That sucks.

Not much I can do to help you there lol.

I also cant really help with the program either, its not one I like using,

barbell lunges maybe? I don't see that working very well though... you could do a variation of a deadlift on the squat day instead, RDL's maybe? I'd imagine your lower back would take a beating though...

The program is a simple one but it works.

I suggest you keep doing body weight squats until you feel comfortable enough to use the bar. Use them in the boring but big routine, consider it as 0kg and grab really light dumbbells when you are ready to progress

Also, keep the leg curls if you are able to do them

So get rid of the leg curls? And is it really as simple as say day 1 military press do the 5/3/1 rep ranges then military press 5x10 then chinups?

Seems too simple

So have you done it wingman? How was it?

Yea i did it pre-accident (see journal). But i was less smart then modified heaps of it, which in hindsight was bad. If i had my time over (which i do), id do linear progression programs til 140/100/180 then something like you've posted after, possibly swapping legcurls with GM's or something.

Sticky - im curious why you dont like it?

That sucks.*

Not much I can do to help you there lol.

I also cant really help with the program either, its not one I like using,
I'm not to sure what to to there either

Any reason you don't like it? Or you think there are better programs out there like the PTC one
The program is a simple one but it works.

I suggest you keep doing body weight squats until you feel comfortable enough to use the bar. *Use them in the boring but big routine, consider it as 0kg and grab really light dumbbells when you are ready to progress

*Also, keep the leg curls if you are able to do them
Would it be worthwhile doing bodyweight squats? It's more of a pain and full ROM thing that's stopping me I'm working on the ROM though

barbell lunges maybe? I don't see that working very well though... you could do a variation of a deadlift on the squat day instead, RDL's maybe? I'd imagine your lower back would take a beating though...
Lunges are no good, hurt worse than squats I will think about a deadlift variation*

Thanks everyone for the replies

I cant change a squat for leg press? I know squats are a compound exercise and using a leg press machine doesn't come close to that*

Yea i did it pre-accident (see journal). But i was less smart then modified heaps of it, which in hindsight was bad. If i had my time over (which i do), id do linear progression programs til 140/100/180 then something like you've posted after, possibly swapping legcurls with GM's or something.

Sticky - im curious why you dont like it?
Thanks I will checkout your journal
I just dont like 5/3/1 full stop.

Leaves to much up to the trainee.
what does it leave up to the trainee? I have seen a few spreadsheets around and it all seems pretty locked in as to reps weight and progression

5/3/1 itself has to many variables.... Some people having to up their maxes, pick different templates for assistance because the actual programming doesnt really do much for bench or OHP.... Just to many things that need to be adjusted.

Most people running 5/3/1, at least on here are are novice/intermediate lifters. They dont really understand programming or what works for them.

It also allows for VERY slow progression. A novice lifter, training for strength is much better off doing something else.

5/3/1 itself has to many variables.... Some people having to up their maxes, pick different templates for assistance because the actual programming doesnt really do much for bench or OHP.... Just to many things that need to be adjusted.

Most people running 5/3/1, at least on here are are novice/intermediate lifters. They dont really understand programming or what works for them.

It also allows for VERY slow progression. A novice lifter, training for strength is much better off doing something else.

Fair enough, makes a lot of sense

What would you recommend?

Anything else lol

What are you current lifts/bodyweight?

How long have you been lifting?

Lol

88kg bench 80kg I have never attempted deads

On and off for 4-5 months more off than on, Tuesday's and Wednesday's are pretty much written off I might start going to the gym before work now it seems to be warming up a little in the morning

Lol

88kg bench 80kg I have never attempted deads

On and off for 4-5 months more off than on, Tuesday's and Wednesday's are pretty much written off I might start going to the gym before work now it seems to be warming up a little in the morning

Go on PTC beginner program imho. Not sure about your squats though, get them looked at perhaps.

Go on PTC beginner program imho. Not sure about your squats though, get them looked at perhaps.

I think I will I just liked how simple the boring but big program is, I suppose the PTC one is just as simple

I will try to get to into a consistent routine and then make a visit to PTC or somewhere that can help me with squats

Since you can't do squats at the moment I think leg press is a fine substitute if you can do them.

I'm also not the biggest fan off 531. The extremely slow progression is very boring and too slow for beginners. Also it just didn't work well for me when I did it.