• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 Day Olympic Weightlifting Routines

g12528

4 Day Olympic Weightlifting Routines
Ive currently been doing a 4 day split
tues Chest/ triceps
Wed Back
Thurs Legs
Sat Shoulders/ olympic lifts

Chest session is currently
5x5 bench
3x5 negative Bench
3x10 Dips
4x Flys
4x Tricep Pulldowns

Back
3x10 Chins
4x10 Close grip pull downs
4x10 Seated Row
2x10 Seated Row Single arm
3x10 Lat pulldown
3x10 Incline Dumbell Curls

Legs
5x5 Back Squats
5x5 Front Squats
5x5 Deadlifts
3x10 Goodmornings

Shoulders
5x10 Shoulder Press
5x5 Push Press
5x10 Upright Row
3x10 Lateral Raises
3x3 Snatch
3x3 Hang Cleans

i want to change up my routine into more of a olympic style routine but cant find any decent ones besides the bulgarian style which is pretty hectic as im only a beginner and want to get the basics down.

i want to try and still do one chest and back session and the other two will be olympic lifting, as i want to still keep my chest growing.

Any Input will be good as i want to try and start this next week. I train at a private gym and the coach is a Olympic weightlifter so he is helping with routine, just want to see others peoples ideas.

Sorry mate I have no idea, but I replied simply to say when you do have a routine down, can you post it in here for us to see.

Thanks
G

Monday or Tuesday: Heavy Day

Snatch: 8×2 (10 sets of 2 reps) working up to your “work” weight (ie. It should feel hard, but NOT be a max) in 4 or 5 sets and sticking with the same weight for the rest of your sets.
Clean and Jerk: 8×1 done the same way as the Snatch
Front Squat: 5×5 (3 or 4 of them heavy)
Chin ups: 3x 8-12 (use an assist machine if necessary or stretch bands)
Abs: 3 sets
Wednesday or Thursday: Light Day

Snatch: 4×3
Clean and Jerk: 4×2
Overhead Squats: 4×8
Pull ups: 5×5 up to a heavy set of 5
Saturday: Medium Day

Snatch: 8×2
Clean and Jerk: 8×1
Front Squat: 1×5 (work up to one heavy set of 5)
Chin Ups: 3×8-12

Snatch : 8 Sets of Doubles
Clean and Jerk :8 Sets of Singles
Front Squat: 5 Sets of 5
Press : 5 Sets of 3

Two i just found on the internet

cheers mate just trying to figure out a program, where i can still fit in bench, dips etc. hopefully theres some oly lifters out there that can give us a hand

How about something like:

(the + signs mean as many reps as you can in the last set, similar to Wendlers... eg Press 2x5, 1x5+ means do whatever warmup sets you like then do your work set of say 60kg x 5, 60kg x5 60kg x 8)

Monday
Snatch 7-10 singles with ~ 1 min rest in between (not sticking to a hard percentage, but something that you can make all of them with unless you have an obvious technique screw up on one of them. You need to practice making lifts, not missing them.)
then:
Press 2x5, 1x5+
Squat 2x5, 1x5+

Wednesday
Bench Press 2x5, 1x5+
Power Clean 5-6 singles ramping up to weight to be used for deadlift (hit 3 or so "heavy" reps)
Deadlift 1x5+

Friday
Clean and Jerk 7-10 singles (following same guidelines as snatch)
Press 2x5, 1x5+
Front Squat 2x3, 1x3+

Latter on today I'll post up a beginners template we have that alternates between heavier and moderate. Progressive overload plays a big role in wl, if your technique is not there....you'll struggle.

Latter on today I'll post up a beginners template we have that alternates between heavier and moderate. Progressive overload plays a big role in wl, if your technique is not there....you'll struggle.

what do you think oly weightlifting has on body composition? im stressing that ill end up looking like i dont lift.

what do you think oly weightlifting has on body composition? im stressing that ill end up looking like i dont lift.

Well if you put in the right input you often get the right output. Garbage in, garbage out. There are some pretty well built lifters. Its a performance sport like every other sport. If you wanna look like you 'lift' why not do mostly bb stuff ?

If you wanna look like you 'lift' why not do mostly bb stuff ?
my first thought when i saw the "i want to look like i lift" thingo.

u need to look at your goal... do u want to get strong in the oly lifts? or look like a lifter?
theres lots of VERY strong guys who look like they have never touched a weight...

I'll be honest...doing WL can (I think that's the right word) improve your physique. When you're holding 2x your body weight overhead, you'll probably be in pretty good shape. Having said that....there's easier avenues than WL if you want to look like you lift.

every time i type 'look like you lift', i'm left with a bitter taste in my mouth...mentos anybody?

any type of lifting will improve physique to some extent, its just a matter of 'are u lifting to get stronger, or to look better?' then your decision should decide your training style.

you will gain size on a strength program, but it will not be as fast as a program for size
you will gain strength on a bb program, but it wont be as fast as a program designed for gaining strength

If you wanna look like you 'lift' why not do mostly bb stuff ?
GOLD!

Be decisive and choose the appropriate sport for what you want. No point becoming a weightlifter if your heart is set on bodybuilding or on looking like one. Some 100m sprinters look better than some weightlifters in their upper physique, but still, nowhere as muscular overall as a bodybuilder. At the end of the day, the bodybuilder has muscles all over and not only in certain areas of his body like weightlifters (or other sport athletes) have.

PS: Weightlifters do NOT work their biceps (ever!); now that's something you have to think about if you wish to have good looking/full looking arms... just saying.

Fadi.

Last edited:
[

PS: Weightlifters do NOT work their biceps (ever!); now that's something you have to think about if you wish to have good looking/full looking arms... just saying.

Fadi.

Doesn't improving your brachii (sp?) increase your ability to pull from the ground, ie for deadlifts, cleans, snatches?

Gosh...its been ages since I've done direct bicep work.

Focus on the big stuff....the small stuff will sort itself out.

If you have bicep pain when doing wl, you're probably pulling wrong.

GOLD!

Be decisive and choose the appropriate sport for what you want. No point becoming a weightlifter if your heart is set on bodybuilding or on looking like one. Some 100m sprinters look better than some weightlifters in their upper physique, but still, nowhere as muscular overall as a bodybuilder. At the end of the day, the bodybuilder has muscles all over and not only in certain areas of his body like weightlifters (or other sport athletes) have.

Fadi.

i really enjoy doing oly lifts but could not seeing myself competing (long thin wog legs, and short upper body) , more of just a hobby. it would be good to do a hybrid routine. or if anyone has tried let me know how it went.

Doesn't improving your brachii (sp?) increase your ability to pull from the ground, ie for deadlifts, cleans, snatches?
Wingman, please remember this as far as Olympic weightlifting is concerned: arms are nothing but hooks that attach the body to the bar and nothing more.

That means, if you make your biceps strong, they will begin to help you with the pulling motion, and that is a big no no in weightlifting since arms are supposed to be kept as straight as possible. Weightlifters have small arms for a reason; even their triceps are nothing to write home about, since many above head movements are executed without pure pushing from the triceps, a la push press, power jerk. Yes, there are times when weightlifters perform some pure pressing, but that constitutes a small percentage of the overall routine. Push press and power jerk is all leg power and near zero arm power because again, as in the pulling, the arms are no more than an attachment to the bar. Once a weightlifter begins to think arms, you can bet the battle would be lost!

You may find boxers do the same thing: don't train their bicpes, since as you know now, bicpes are for pulling (but please don't confuse that with weightlifting pulls), and tricpes are for pushing/punching. Now judo may call for some bicpes work, again, for obvious reasons.

PS: In your question you mentioned the word “deadlifts; weightlifters do not do deadlifts.

Fadi.

Last edited: