• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

3 Main tips for beginners

Shamelessly bumped again.

I just like the advice in the first post for beginners.

Looking at the first post, I don't agree entirely with this:

As a beginner, avoid isolation exercises like the plague.

As a beginner, you want your workouts to be fun and exciting.
Just doing deads, squats, bench, chins, dips and rows can get very boring.

I don't think there is a problem with beginners doing some isolation exercises in moderation, as long as they hit the big compounds first.

It wont get boring because you just started, maybe after 2-3 months when boredome does start to set in the you can add an isolation or 2. I wish i never spent hrs doing islations when i first started but I didn;t know any better.

Really curious about the first one - avoid isolation exercises. Now, if you want to get huge, I understand.

But what about if your aim is simply to add some shape? For example, if a reasonably skinny guy just focuses on biceps, pecs and maybe the tops of shoulders - wouldn't that make a noticeable difference?

OK, you're not going to get MASSIVE, but wouldn't that require less volume, less food and less time?

Asking for a friend...

Tell your friend he will never be huge. He will just add some shape quicker if he trains like he does want to be huge.

Because you don't "get huge" overnight. Shape comes from size and you'll get that quicker doing compounds. You'll still be working your arms and shoulders.

It's also a bit of a balancing act. If you focus purely on building a bigger chest, by the time you've developed some size, you'll have screwed your shoulders because you have no back muscles to keep them where they need to be.

Tell him to,do,heavy incline press, and heavy rows/ deadlifts.

he will have good pecs/delts/ arms with time (and food)

no no he will not be huge

So taking biceps for e.g. if you do nothing but curls then at the start you begin to build some bicep mass, and the additional fuel you take in goes first and foremost to building your biceps.

But then after a while you don't have the supporting muscle mass (like triceps) to keep increasing the weight and you plateau? Is that the principle?

I've never like the full body approach and put on on 30kgs over the yeas with the split.
I don't believe it makes that much difference.

if you just do compounds you'll look pretty horrible. blocky.

theres a reason its called Bodybuilding... building the body in a pleasing way, with "isolation" movements to complement other lifts.

if you just do compounds you'll look pretty horrible. blocky.

theres a reason its called Bodybuilding... building the body in a pleasing way, with "isolation" movements to complement other lifts.

so you are saying dont squat bench or deadlift?where do they fit in your routine?can you clarify please?
plus the thread title says tips for beginners.
youve taken steroids to achieve your aims.not disrespecting that as we all have different goals and ways of getting there but you might need to factor or clarify that into your advices.the quickest way get put mass on as a beginner is to prioritise the big 3.the refining can come later.

Last edited:
[MENTION=17650]gerry.[/MENTION] ; What translator are you using?
Cause fuck knows where you got him in that above quote saying no to do the big 3

so you are saying dont squat bench or deadlift?where do they fit in your routine?can you clarify please?
plus the thread title says tips for beginners.
youve taken steroids to achieve your aims.not disrespecting that as we all have different goals and ways of getting there but you might need to factor or clarify that into your advices.the quickest way get put mass on as a beginner is to prioritise the big 3.the refining can come later.

not worth my time.

@gerry. ; What translator are you using?
Cause fuck knows where you got him in that above quote saying no to do the big 3

from previous conversations as well as what he said there.im assuming he barely does them.

i can honestly say ive never noticed you before dude.got the hulk as an avatar.must be swole.

used the f word for emphasis as well.must be hardcore.

Last edited:
ive admitted aesthetically C T looks alright but hes got to that physique by the use of drugs as well.thats not for beginners.please reread my post again and take into consideration the fact that from what i can gather, he barely does compound movements.

beginners should make them the priority.Squats and deadlifts especially release natural hormones that will increase size naturally.as i said before,get to a certain size and shape then refine if u wish.drugs may or may not come into ur thinking by that stage and thats your choice.

im not knocking it ,merely elaborating.

hes full of shit about guys look horrible who make compound lifting their priority.theres guys at the top of the powerlifting tree especially in the lower weight classes who have great physiques.they have a thickness that guys who follow C Ts methods dont have.however..whatever.lol....whatever floats your boat man.

Last edited:
ive admitted aesthetically C T looks alright but hes got to that physique by the use of drugs as well.thats not for beginners.please reread my post again and take into consideration the fact that from what i can gather, he barely does compound movements.

beginners should make them the priority.Squats and deadlifts especially release natural hormones that will increase size naturally.as i said before,get to a certain size and shape then refine if u wish.drugs may or may not come into ur thinking by that stage and thats your choice.

im not knocking it ,merely elaborating.

hes full of shit about guys look horrible who make compound lifting their priority.theres guys at the top of the powerlifting tree especially in the lower weight classes who have great physiques.they have a thickness that guys who follow C Ts methods dont have.however..whatever.lol....whatever floats your boat man.

you assume way too much.