• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

21s for a shock!

Fadi

If you've read my previous threads, you'd know by now that I like the inclusion of some high rep work to stimulate the type I muscle fibre. There's an old bicep curl exercise called 21s (that would fit the bill to a T here).

Grab yourself a "light" d/bell say 20 or 25lbs and begin to curl it 7x half way up (where your forearm is parallel with the floor); then curl it for another 7 reps from that half way position to all the way up and back to that half way position; finally perform 7 full reps. Please note that you may need a fire extinguisher on stand-by for the last brutal 7!

You can do that as part of your third arm workout on Friday (where high reps may be employed here).

Enjoy

Fadi.

I have also used the 21 technique on excersizes other than bicep curls, OH THE BURN!!

I have also used the 21 technique on excersizes other than bicep curls, OH THE BURN!!

Good on you Josh.

Mr. Moderator, I just realised that I've posted this thread in the wrong section. I meant to put in under the Bodybuilding section. Sorry about that.

Fadi.

Nice one Fads,I`ll give it a go.I love working my arms and am always looking for something new.

Fadi, do those work just for type 1 stimulation or can they also be used for capillary development in the arms?

As I have previously shown...

index.php

...the type one muscle fibre responds well and GROWS when stimulated by overloading it with resistance in the form of high reps as seen above. Ok, now that we have stimulated growth there, we've got to deliver some top notch blood full of nutrients in order for those stimulated fibers to really take off. That's where the ultra high reps with very light weight come in to do their job on the capillaries by increasing them in numbers as well as in density.

So in short Rasika, I'd go for higher reps (50-100) if my aim was to hit the capillaries and I'd leave the 21s to work their magic on the type I muscle fibers.

PS: when the capillaries are "primed" through your performance of ultra high reps, that then will serve as foundation for muscle growth in the type II A and type IIB fibers as well since there will be blood supply GALORE thanks to the "priming" you've achieved in your capillaries.

I hope that answers your question Rasika and I thank you for it my friend.

Fadi.

Last edited:
As I have previously shown...

index.php

...the type one muscle fibre responds well and GROWS when stimulated by overloading it with resistance in the form of high reps as seen above. Ok, now that we have stimulated growth there, we've got to deliver some top notch blood full of nutrients in order for those stimulated fibers to really take off. That's where the ultra high reps with very light weight come in to do their job on the capillaries by increasing them in numbers as well as in density.

So in short Rasika, I'd go for higher reps (50-100) if my aim was to hit the capillaries and I'd leave the 21s to work their magic on the type I muscle fibers.

PS: when the capillaries are "primed" through your performance of ultra high reps, that then will serve as foundation for muscle growth in the type II A and type IIB fibers as well since there will be blood supply GALORE thanks to the "priming" you've achieved in your capillaries.

I hope that answers your question Rasika and I thank you for it my friend.

Fadi.

I see now. I'll def incorporate them for it's time to get some vein popping capilaries to have the foundation ready when I bulk

Not a fan of high repetiton stuff for small muscle groups, I prefer mid to low 6-12, but then again I have stopped isolation work on biceps alltogether.
21's do scorch the muscle though, have done then many times.

Not a fan of high repetiton stuff for small muscle groups, I prefer mid to low 6-12, but then again I have stopped isolation work on biceps alltogether.
21's do scorch the muscle though, have done then many times.

No more b/bell curls for you then? How about side deltoids Shrek? Like a scorcher drop set of side laterals for starters... or 20 reps of french curls to torch the triceps?

Fadi.

Yes fadi,
Well I used to do all those but the past year or so i have been concentrationg on the compounds and must say my delts and bi / tri's have come along nicely without the real need for direct work.
When I do 5x5 i will do only 1 superset of bi's / tri's (skull crusher with barbell curl 8 reps each).