• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

21 Exercises For Injury Free Mass

jzpowahz

T NATION | 21 Exercises For Injury Free Mass

Thoughts on this article?

I know this is the PL section so everyone WANTS to do the big 3.

I'm only 29 and am already feeling a bit worse for wear in the knees and shoulders and IMO my form is pretty good.

I've done one novice comp before but I'm far from a big total or anything at the moment. Contemplating switching to some of these alternate exercises for a bit to give the joints a bit of a rest.

Honestly I am a big believer that you dont NEED to do the big 3 to make the gains you want....

Of course if you are a powerlifter then yes you NEED to be doing the big 3, and athletes, I would def have them squating or a variation of...but I dont see the real need for an athlete to be doing flat barbell bench or even a conventional deadlift to be honest...

For a bber or an everyday lifter you can get the same results with doing other exercises apart from squat, bench, dead...and as the article states with alot less chance of injury...

They are great exercises and a great base to any workout but they do get alot more credit than they really deserve.....

Prob going to get flamed lol

I LOVE to do the big 3 (+weighted chins :p) but I'm thinking for longevity that maybe I should switch to some more joint friendly movements for a bit and just test the big 3 every now and again.

If you improve 20% on reverse bb lunges then I would think that would have to translate to a bigger back squat as long as the form was ok for the squat.

I've been doing db bench for ages now because of farked shoulder anyway but I can still squat & deadlift.

I suppose as well as that, just mixing it up and doing some "weird" exercises could be good psychologically.

I LOVE to do the big 3 (+weighted chins :p) but I'm thinking for longevity that maybe I should switch to some more joint friendly movements for a bit and just test the big 3 every now and again.

If you improve 20% on reverse bb lunges then I would think that would have to translate to a bigger back squat as long as the form was ok for the squat.

I've been doing db bench for ages now because of farked shoulder anyway but I can still squat & deadlift.

I suppose as well as that, just mixing it up and doing some "weird" exercises could be good psychologically.

Its always good to change things up in your training anyway...

I do love different exercises but I wont do them all the time...purely to give my body a chance to be challenged at something new...

As I said you dont NEED to do the big 3...so for sure I would def suggest trying new exercises and challenging yourself in new ways....

There are millions of better upper body lifts than the bench press and millions exercises that will increase your deadlift loads without deadlifting

But squatting, IDK. Whenever I've not squatted for a while then gone back to it I've sucked at it. I did nothing put push presses for a while and my bench increased (although it was at such a low level playing nintendo would increase it) and I pulled 180 doing nothing but squats, upper back work and dynamic work for the deadlift for 6 months

I think it is in the same theory as you MUST lift heavy to make gains, I know a few bodybuilding who have competed quite a bit and the older and wiser they get the less they are lifting to protect their joints, but they are still making gains and their body is thanking them for it.

There are may ways to reduce the weight you have to lift but still make gains, like pre-exhaust training, super sets, giant sets etc etc, just check out how Milos Sacev trains his clients....

I hope I never get to the point where I have to work out like a geriatric out on a day trip from his nursing home LOL

I hope I never get to the point where I have to work out like a geriatric out on a day trip from his nursing home LOL

+1
I'm under the impression you can train around most injuries anyway
Look at Dave Tate

Its all about being smart with your body, yea sometimes totally smash it, lift heavy and totally fuarrrrk yourself...other times back off, listen to your body when it needs a break and lighten up the weights or change exercises....

Be smart with your training and you will always make gains and get results...

Any advice on what I can do to substitute deadlift for a few weeks while my back heals up?

Jamie Lewis got his deadlift up just by doing a fuckload of shrugs
In his blog is said he went heavy, very heavy and worked up to 9 plates a side for 3 reps LOL
I'd just do a few sets of 5 and work up in weight incrementally, try and get it a good 20kg above your deadlift for a set of 5 and as long as you're doing some sort of posterior chain work that doesn't cause pain you should be able to retard strength a PR up when it's healed

Heavy upper back work like rows would be good also if you have something like a chest supported row that doesn't load your spine

What's funny is I see this article as I was contemplating giving Smolov a crack :p

Pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum I think!

At fifty I still squat and deadlift, what I'm finding is that while my upper body is still quite strong my legs are the first to feel the effects of age.
My best time was in my early forties where I deadlifted 210kg for five reps as part of my workout, I was at my strongest.
For the last five years I have focused on reducing my mass while trying to maintain my strength and flexibility which go hand in hand.
A lot of my work is through higher reps and lighter weight, especially for the hip and legs.
I also incorporate pre-exhaust, negatives, but my goal has always been progression in weight and or rep's

I think if one can safely squat then they should never ever stop.

As an experiment I decided to see what my one rm was for my deadlift on Saturday morning when I'm at my stiffest, I hadn't ever done a one rm I was happy to see that on my first attempt I lifted 180kg.
All things being equal, a bodyweight high repitition squat can be more beneficial than a low rep barbell squat.

Last edited:
Thanks for you're input Andy Mitchell.

Ok, I can still squat so Smolov it is :) I may look into some alternate exercises for other body parts if required & just to mix it up a bit.

I don't see squats and deads as exercises you need to give up to stay injury free. For me they keep me from being injured.

Sure like Joel said most people don't need to do the big 3 but that's no fun. Whats better hitting a dead and bench pb or getting a back raise and incline hammer strength bench PB.

Also, big deadlifts are just fucking awesome, why wouldn't you do them.

Edit: also Joel keep your anti big 3 and milk shit where is should be in the BB section with all the fake tan and pink g strings. Lol.

Last edited:
Whats better hitting a dead and bench pb or getting a back raise and incline hammer strength bench PB.

Either way there is nothing better than getting that extra rep regardless.

Whats better hitting a dead and bench pb or getting a back raise and incline hammer strength bench PB.

Either way there is nothing better than getting that extra rep regardless.

Agree I am happy with any PB but what I am saying for me the big 3 mean much more than other exercises.

I don't see squats and deads as exercises you need to give up to stay injury free. For me they keep me from being injured.

Sure like Joel said most people don't need to do the big 3 but that's no fun. Whats better hitting a dead and bench pb or getting a back raise and incline hammer strength bench PB.

Also, big deadlifts are just fucking awesome, why wouldn't you do them.

Edit: also Joel keep your anti big 3 and milk shit where is should be in the BB section with all the fake tan and pink g strings. Lol.

LOLOL....Not anti big 3 mate I just know they arnt the be all and end all of training....

Brb applying fake tan