• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

1970's Powerlifters

I thought individuals with high iq's could think for themselves.

Maybe Jamie Lewis has a high iq, and others even take that characteristic on board within their delusion of greatness.

Did you miss the part where I said it would be more than acceptable for people to compete in meets appropriate for their skill level?

I did get that, I Spose to be clearer what I was leading towards is the point that the smaller the participation level in a given sport the larger disparity you will get between first a last in the field for a top level event.

To give an example. The reason you see such good competition at the Olympics is not because they have tough qualifying standards but because there are so many people fighting it out in the lower levels for each country that they can afford to take only the best in the world and still make up a decent field of athletes.

From what I understand powerlifting has only a few hundred competitors in total across Australia so the depth of talent doesn't exist to create a decent sized field of top competitors at the national events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Oni on the part that competing in powerlifting has alot more people competing these days a thing to tick off their bucket list, or something they can belong to or identify with rather than a demonstration of absolute brute strength.

"So what do you do as a hobby" "Oh me im a powerlifter, look at all these poptarts i can eat, check out my training videos on instagram, check out my amazing 200 wilks score/450 total".

Powerlifters in the 70s did it because they were fucking strong. The majority of shit in the 70's was harder than our cushy lives today.

But I believe GPC/Proraw does a good job at seperating elite and amateur level competitors with novice comps and invitational elite level comps. Growth of competitors is inevitable and beneficial, in Australian powerlifting anyway.

I thought individuals with high iq's could think for themselves.

Maybe Jamie Lewis has a high iq, and others even take that characteristic on board within their delusion of greatness.

Jamie allowed himself to be filmed getting smashed up the arse for a lousy few bucks, hardly an indicator of great intelligence.

I actually think GPC is right to have a big national championship.

It has the advantage of involving more competitors which aids the style and quality of a meeting in terms of meeting costs while building community in such a minor sport.

I think acting like you are an elite sport, when actually you are not, is not the right recipe for success.

That is my opinion.

Sticky can tell you, but I think GPC encourages its 500 or so members to come.

what better way to promote your sport. the locals, who benefit from many booking hotels and spending money, learn of a sport that attracts many participants.

I look at aths and I see hardly anyone at its nationals. maybe the focus on elite performers backfires in long run.

Last edited:
Seeing as I'm the guy hosting the 2014 GPC National Championships, and also the Vice President of GPC Australia, I think I might qualify to put my 2c in.

GPC Australia has always had, and always will have a 3, 5 and 10 year plan - and seeing as we became the largest powerlifting organisation in under 24 months of being born (whilst the other main 2 have been running for over 22 years) I think we have a good grasp on how to grow the sport of powerlifting.

As a meet director, it's my job to not only run a smooth, professional and enjoyable event - but also promote it to prospective lifters, sponsors and media personnel.

This brings me to qualifying totals.

Do I personally want them? 100%
I want them set at "master" on the GPC grading scale.

Now what happens when we do that?

The meet goes from 250 competitors to 40.
The $25,000 I would have got from entries, turns to $4000.
The $30,000 in sponsorship gets pulled because the sponsors can't see the value in sponsoring such a small event - which might I add will now be run in my gym, not in the heart of surfers paradise, 1 street back from the ocean.

The bars will all be second hand, and you may not be warming up on the equipment you will be competing with.

As it stands, we have close to 200 starts signed up for this event, which has allowed me to:
Hire a hotel to host the event - just off the beach, and block out 300 rooms nights for our lifters
Fly out Ed Coan
Build 4 new monolifts
4 new deadlift bars
Get medals for 1,2,3 for the biggest totals in each weight class.
Organise a $7500 banquet
Fly over Adam Coe - arguably the best MC in the game.

The whole event has cost me over 50k to host - and if we cut the competitor numbers, I can tell you I wouldn't be able to put on the amazing show I am now.

When we hit 2000 members at GPC It will be a different story, but for now, trust in we know what we are doing :)

Qualifying totals is a good idea, I never argued that. I can't wait to be strong enough to make it Nats :)

Last edited:
By time we have high qualifying standards, you will be strong enough I'm sure.

Our nats will always be 200, this I am sure of.
I want to bring out members the best show I can, and I can't do that on $4000.