• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

1970's Powerlifters

in all sports I have tried, I have always just made up numbers.

To be fair, many of the people who make up numbers can also play a role in terms of helping boost interest in sport and even officiating and helping out.

I say no to elitism. Elitists are tossers.

I don't think this is right.

Firstly, the 70s raw records aren't comparable to what the best guys were doing from the late 80s to early 00s, because there was no raw lifting at the elite level during that era. The strongest guys of that era outside of the US, eg Fedorenko etc were doing amazing things equipped. We just don't know how strong they might have been raw in comparison to the 70s, because there was no comparison. Many of the strongest guys in the US and UK were doing multiply lifting, where comparisons were even more ridiculous.

Looking past the equipped era...

It is only in the past 3 years really that powerlifting has taken off, largely off the back of 2 big factors: 1) raw lifting - the equipment understandably put people off and made the sport less accessible for a long time; 2) CrossFit - of the back of which olympic weightlifting and powerlifting have both been beneficiaries. For the most part, powerlifting was no bigger in 2000 than it was in 1975.

It will take a few years for this Renaissance to take effect, but we are already seeing many of the old time raw records fall in the past few years. In Australia, there is so much talent coming through in every federation, it is ridiculous. If it was 10 years ago, most of these guys would have been doing insane lifting in the gym in relative obscurity.

Finally, more people were taking PEDs in the 70s than now. There was absolutely no social/moral issue with PED use in the 70s and right up until the mid 80s. Lots of people still use obviously, but there are a lot more drug free lifters. Guys like Mike T, Blaine, Ray Williams, are all going to surpass the 70s guys.

Oh...and human physiology has obviously not changed in 40 years.

yeah, well you'd probably know more than I would, I haven't followed powerlifting all that closely over the years to know what records if there are, are still unbroken.

do you know? @ strong enough; ?

yeah, well you'd probably know more than I would, I haven't followed powerlifting all that closely over the years to know what records if there are, are still unbroken.

do you know? @ strong enough; ?

No probs. This is the unofficial list: Mens Raw World Records | Powerlifting Watch

Mind you, it's unofficial because the records were all set under different conditions and across different federations. There are still quite a few records from the 70s from some of my favourites, like Larry Pacifico and Reinhoudt.

Didn't you play footy last year Oni. I think its a safe bet for someone who didn't grow up playing footy you were just making up the numbers.

I got pushed up from B grade to A grade having never bounced a footy in my life so I couldn't have been that bad :)

Ridiculous argument Oni.

If I thought I could be competitive in the top 3 in my weight class I'd need to add another 150ish kg to my total. (28%)

Some people just like to set PB's and DGAF about medals.

You would also only have enhanced lifters competing in untested feds if everyone thought the way you do.

Read what I wrote again
PA seem to agree with what I am saying. They increased the qualifying total for nationals after all

That said, qualifying totals are good IMO. PA just lifted it from B grade to A grade for open. With more competition and the competitive standard lifting, you can afford to do it. The average differential between 1st and last place in each weight class was around 100kg with 6-8 athletes in each class. It worked very well.

It was top 8 as well, so you had to be the top end of the division to make it, not just an A grade.

I agree that top level comps should have decent qualifying totals so that the quality of competition and spectacle are decent, that said the low qualifiers at the first couple of PA Raw Nats worked well to develop interest in the event and I know they did the same at other fed's nats aswell.

Nobody is arguing that. But it's not what 0ni said originally.
Claiming you won something if you competed against one person in your division is also a dickhead move. There's minnows in every event, even ones with qualifying requirements.

"There are just more shitty lifters because for some reason people today like to "compete" for "fun" like it's the fucking Boston marathon or a tough mudder. I don't see why people compete if they don't have a good chance of winning, personally. I've always been one to do meets where I have a good chance of placing and not embarrassing myself. I'd like to see more meets with qualifying totals, especially nationals. At the moment all you need to do is compete once and you qualify for nationals. So you have really long, massive flights which can potentially stop people from performing at their very best. This happened to Fuzzy at a CAPO meet once"

Seems to be exactly what I originally said.

If you took out all the people who compete for fun from any competition, the elite field will suck. For most people I've known it's the competing for fun that actually starts people training enough to be competitive at the higher levels.
The other thing to remember is that for every event with a qualifying total you need a number of open meets for people to hit those totals. And while I agreed you probably don't want complete beginners at nationals, event organisers should be setting qualifying totals at a level that ensures they get the right size field of competitors, it's rarely about setting some perceived standard of what is elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure why you're worried about embarrassing yourself 0ni, you've done plenty of that on this forum already...

If you took out all the people who compete for fun from any competition, the elite field will suck. For most people I've known it's the competing for fun that actually starts people training enough to be competitive at the higher levels.
The other thing to remember is that for every event with a qualifying total you need a number of open meets for people to hit those totals. And while I agreed you probably don't want complete beginners at nationals, event organisers should be setting qualifying totals at a level that ensures they get the right size field of competitors, it's rarely about setting some perceived standard of what is elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you miss the part where I said it would be more than acceptable for people to compete in meets appropriate for their skill level?

"There are just more shitty lifters because for some reason people today like to "compete" for "fun" like it's the fucking Boston marathon or a tough mudder. I don't see why people compete if they don't have a good chance of winning, personally. I've always been one to do meets where I have a good chance of placing and not embarrassing myself. I'd like to see more meets with qualifying totals, especially nationals. At the moment all you need to do is compete once and you qualify for nationals. So you have really long, massive flights which can potentially stop people from performing at their very best. This happened to Fuzzy at a CAPO meet once"

Seems to be exactly what I originally said.

I think this post sums up you up Oni. You are a pompous tosser and elitist. Here we are talking about a relatively minor sport, and all you can say is 'I don't see why people compete if they don't have a good chance of winning, personally. I've always been one to do meets where I have a good chance of placing and not embarrassing myself'.

I think Oni is just confusing Jamies Lewis' views of powerlifting in America are applicable to the current state of powerlifting in Australia.