• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

16 year old wanting to change

I can squat about 50kg and struggle the bench 20kg. 50kg squat is most probably considered shit by your guys standards anyway.

When I started training approx 13 months ago, I could barely bench 30kg and squat started out at only 40kg. While my bench is now a modest 73kg I got my squat up to a respectable 135kg for reps, most of those gains happened on the beginners program I suggested. Being a young bloke, you should be able to make even bigger advances in less time.

There are plenty of other good beginners programs out there, Starting Strength being another I tried and would recommend (also the starting strength book is an excellent reference on how to perform the important lifts with good form and what to do re: diet). The things they all have in common is a focus on the big barbells lifts: Squat, Bench, Deadlift and Overhead Press.

I wouldn't worry about creatine or protein shakes if I were you, plenty of whole milk, beef, chicken, fish, eggs and cheeseburgers would be more appropriate.

I always like to recommend Crossfit however I seem to get a 100% Disagreement rate so I'm going to suggest the Beginners Program. Covers all the basics.

I always like to recommend Crossfit however I seem to get a 100% Disagreement rate so I'm going to suggest the Beginners Program. Covers all the basics.

Kaz, re: crossfit - OP wants to get bigger... Not smaller

Last edited:

Come on Kaz, all Crossfit will teach him is how to have bad form and how to get himself injured in no time, the exact opposite to what he should be aiming for.

He needs to learn good form of the basic compound exercises, and have slow deliberate reps with weights that are heavy enough.

Squat, dead lift, bench press and overhead press three times a week, everything else will only be padding.

Learn here if you don't have a real life coach, these should get you started:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ]Mark Rippetoe: Intro to the Squat - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMq1rTaErMc&feature=relmfu]Mark Rippetoe: Intro to the Bench Press Pt. 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA]Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss]Mark Rippetoe: Press Review - YouTube[/ame]

Alternatively depending on where you are located get to a PTC gym and get shown in person how to do these correctly.

Surely the girls go for the massive guys....well thats how it seems at the moment. Regardless I dont like being lanky haha.

Think he wants the ladies more then anything. So forget all the Power Lifting gibberish and eating food. Think like a body builder. Just to light weights, high reps and don't do compounds (bench, dead, press, squat). Just do bro curls, raises, tri's and abs, oh and don't eat. In no time you will have ripped arms. That's all the girls will care about right.

But in all seriousness, you have to enjoy it. If you can't adapt or enjoy a certain routine or diet, you will fail after a few weeks. It's about doing what suits your lifestyle and motivation. We want to see you still here on the forum in a years time still as keen as you are now.

Think he wants the ladies more then anything. So forget all the Power Lifting gibberish and eating food. Think like a body builder. Just to light weights, high reps and don't do compounds (bench, dead, press, squat). Just do bro curls, raises, tri's and abs, oh and don't eat. In no time you will have ripped arms. That's all the girls will care about right.

But in all seriousness, you have to enjoy it. If you can't adapt or enjoy a certain routine or diet, you will fail after a few weeks. It's about doing what suits your lifestyle and motivation. We want to see you still here on the forum in a years time still as keen as you are now.

Are you serious or is this a piss take?

He is not interested in triple figure lifting stats atm, let him hit the gym get some veins and abs and girls then in a few years if he is still keen hit the heavies.

Your a peanut. Aren't you 70 something kilos and cutting at the moment?

Compound lifts ARE the absolutely most efficient way to build any size especially for a beginner. You can have fuckarounditis on the machines and tricep kickbacks for a decade and not get anywhere if you want size you have to eat big, lift big and sleep. No way around that.

He is not interested in triple figure lifting stats atm, let him hit the gym get some veins and abs and girls then in a few years if he is still keen hit the heavies.

If you want abs you need to diet but since he is 55kg cutting is not the answer. Lift and eat properly and he will get the gunz and abz much quicker than fucking around with a shit routine.

Not sure if this is sarcastic because I'm new to the topic, but if not you've obviously misinterpreted what I've typed.

Sure the girls are a bonus but at I don't like being lanky. Most of the other responses I've received so far say emphasise heavily on eating correctly and compound lifts.

Once again I'm new to the topic but how does one get ripped arms without eating when there is basically nothing there to begin with.

Thanks but I think I'll listen to the others :)

Once again thanks for the help everyone else!

Your a peanut. Aren't you 70 something kilos and cutting at the moment?

Compound lifts ARE the absolutely most efficient way to build any size especially for a beginner. You can have fuckarounditis on the machines and tricep kickbacks for a decade and not get anywhere if you want size you have to eat big, lift big and sleep. No way around that.

Your always angry. Hit the bench, relax and have some sex.

^^^^^^^ I fucked around with gym machines for years in my early days took me 20 years to work this out, wish someone had slapped me around the head when I was 17 and starting out on weights, I would have looked a lot better in my late teens and through my 20's.

Listen to this and you will be fine.

Are you serious or is this a piss take?

Pretty sure he's not serious.

There is certainly some bias towards powerlifting from some of the members of this site, however bodybuilding and powerlifting/strength training have a hell of a lot more in common that the opponents of each would have you believe.

Bodybuilder's generally strive to get stronger in a higher rep range to powerlifters. I think somewhere from 8-12 reps for bodybuilding, whereas powerlifters tend to work with 5 reps and often less.. Note that both disciplines seek to achieve an increase in strength over a rep range - although bodybuilders prime aim is size, the means to this goal is primarily by achieving an increase in strength (over 8-12 reps). Arnie, for example, used to rep 190kgs on bench for 8 reps+. See also the philosophy behind 'dogcrapp training' an extremely popular bodybuilding training regime.

Also, a lot of good bodybuilders started as powerlifters - e.g. Arnie & Ronnie Coleman, but there are HEAPS more.

Lots of members here have achieved good results using powerlifting and bodybuilding routines. If my goal was purely bodybuilding and I was starting again I'd just do a powerlifting type routine over a higher rep range. The focus for both, especially for a beginner, is getting better at the compound movements. As fluffy said in another thread, once you can rep 60kg for 10 reps overhead you will have impressive shoulders. Ditto for chest and 10 reps on bench of 100kg.

You will never meet an impressive looking bodybuilder who isn't FUCKING strong relative to the beginner.

Last edited:
Before this fucking PLvBB fucking bullshit fucking starts again shall I fucking remind you all that the fucking Beginner fucking Program posted is not a fucking PL or a fucking BB program. Its a fucking beginner program that every fucking beginner should be fucking doing to get as fucking big and as fucking strong as they fucking can fucking efficiently. Fucking.

Before this fucking PLvBB fucking bullshit fucking starts again shall I fucking remind you all that the fucking Beginner fucking Program posted is not a fucking PL or a fucking BB program. Its a fucking beginner program that every fucking beginner should be fucking doing to get as fucking big and as fucking strong as they fucking can fucking efficiently. Fucking.

Yes.