• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

12 weeks is up

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
Well its been 12 weeks on the beginner bodybuilding routine and I have decided that I'm gonna change from doing the 3 days a week to a 4 days a week using a split routine.
My progress is good, I've lost heaps of weight, but as you can see by the photos I got a long way to go. The main reason I'm changing the routine is because I'm getting a bit bored with it and need some more variety in my workout. Over the last 12 weeks I've learnt that I need to watch my diet allot more, and use the bloody tyre sled I made for cardio more as well. I also want to add walking into my off days as I enjoy getting outside for exercise when I can, and it'll help with all the fat I still got to loose.

My main 1rm lifts are now as follows:
squat is 120kg
deadlift is 150kg
bench is 100kg
Overhead press 65kg

Although I'm happy with these numbers, I really hoped for more by now, but anyway I'll keep chuggen away at it.

It took allot for me to finally decide to post these pics of myself, I still feel a bit embarrassed about it, but here they are anyway. I should of took side and back pics, I will do this for the next reveal in another 12 weeks.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

The new routine is as follows;

workout.png

So that's me so far, I want to thank you guys for keeping me motivated and giving me a place to ask questions and stuff. I will update you with more pics in another 12 weeks, I don't really want to keep a training log so I'm just gonna do it this way instead.
Any comments on the new split will be taken into account, I go to a small gym and don't have all the latest equipment but they do have some good stuff. I tried to make something with variety and also with what I have access to. The wide grip chins and the dips are gonna be done as singles until i am strong enough to rep them out.

Amazing results rambodian!

I dont know much about split routines but I reckon you should continue with the beginners routine for another 12 weeks. Given the fact, You have made tons of progress whilst on it!

But what ever path you head down. Best of luck and remain focused

Thanks for the share , a good transformation happening , you have nothing to be embarrassed about
job well done

Shit in 12 weeks you are not happy with those numbers? You didnt start at like a 120 dead, 100 squat, 80 bench did you? If you did you should be unhappy otherwise that is some good work.

I agree you could get more but if you keep lifting with the new program instead of giving up then it is a better choice in the end. Keep progressing the lifts every session still and then look to weekly progression once it becomes too hard.

Your upper body days are too push centric. Why don't you try 2 days a week of flat bench, oh press, rows and chins.That way you can get the twice a week progression for a little while longer (8 to 12 weeks) and you even out your push and pull ratio. I would do the same for the lower body, two days back squats, stiff leg deads and lunges. It is still different from the beginner program but close enough to keep you progressing efficiently as possible. In 12 weeks time you would be ready for a Squat, Dead, OH Press, Bench day split.

Well done on being consistent and sticking to your plan for 12 weeks.
Keep at it and more great results will come in time, stay patient.

My starting lifts were something like this:

squat 50kg
benchpress 40kg
deadlift 85kg
shoulder press 38.5 kg

It was around those figures somewhere, I been keeping a record but I lost the first page with the first 2 weeks in it LOL. I did start out really light though, I could have started out heavier but I hadn't trained in a bloody long time and my wife (who is the fitness guru of the house) said to start light because of the DOMS that I would get, and move up from there.
Thanks for the replies guys, some suggestions would be good on the new workout, I want to start it tomoz. Anyone else agree with Dave about it being to push centric?, I will muck about with it some more and post it up later.

Good work bud.

Have you considered following the beginner template but just switching the exercises?
eg Back Squat because Front Squat, BB press becomes DB press, Flat bench into Incline.

As Sookie has said you have made great progress on the beginner program so it may be worth your while to milk 3x week as long as possible.

Good on you mate, you have persevered enough to realise it is a slow and tedious journey.. but a great one.

Wow, Nice mate, thats great progress. Well done, nice results in a short time...

Also lols at you adding furniture and seem to be getting more tanned...

@Adrian: LOL, yeh we got the kids a desk, and I went to the beach 2 days before that pic, got a bit burnt.
@Hamburgler: Yeh I thought about it, but I really want to go to the gym 4 days a week from now and try a split, I'm still comin up with the routine as I write this. Maybe a more simplified version of the one I posted earlier, either way, I just need to change it up a little.

This is a modified version of the one I posted earlier;
I took out the side laterals and added chins for biceps, it still has my big 4 lifts to work on, so I can still go for the numbers on those. With the reps, I just put 8-10 but really will only use them as a guide, if I'm feeling strong I will go heavier with lower reps, if I'm feeling just normal I will just use the usual method of adding weight to each workout. I try to do a max effort workout every 4th week to reset my 1rm and see how much strength I gained, but really I mostly feel comfortable around the 8 rep mark.

Workout2.png

Again, the chins, wide chins and dips, I'll do as singles until i can rep them. I'm prob gonna try this out, I really love doing front squats so I want them in my routine, I just don't know if this is more balanced or not. As Dave mentioned before, the upper workout is kinda push centric still, but is that really bad? I don't want to do the beginner routine 3 days a week anymore, I really want to hit the gym more, even one extra day a week, it will keep me a bit more honest with myself.

Last edited: