• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

probs with bent rows!!

Dont like that at all Tony, taking the tension off the lat. I guess I'm old school.

I have used 140kg x 6 without any lower back or grip issues.

In my experience, you should be able to use the same weight you bench, any less and your strength is unbalanced.

I dont know where this bar on the floor rubbish started, so much confusion over a simple lift.

This was the first back exercise I was taught, and I did it my whole lifting life. I feel it contributed greatly to my bench press.

Dont like that at all Tony, taking the tension off the lat. I guess I'm old school.

I have used 140kg x 6 without any lower back or grip issues.

In my experience, you should be able to use the same weight you bench, any less and your strength is unbalanced.

I dont know where this bar on the floor rubbish started, so much confusion over a simple lift.

This was the first back exercise I was taught, and I did it my whole lifting life. I feel it contributed greatly to my bench press.

Can't speak for any one else but the bar on the floor rubbish from me came from Rippetoes' Starting Strength (Aasgard 2006) pg. 263.

I had never heard of them being started on floor until i read his book. He seems to know his way around all the other lifts so I trusted him on this lift too. But there will always be a difference of opinion even amongst experts it seems, and even over simple lifts. He prescribes barbell curls quite differently than usual as wel.

As far as concern about taking tension off the lats, why is it any different taking tension off the muscles in a deadlift, or sldl. Quote from the book, "...the barbell row is like a deadlift in that the work is intended to be mainly concentric."

Last edited:
"Continuous tension is a fine concept, and a barbell row is going to be an incredibly effective strength and mass producer with or without the deweight. The deweight is a better teaching tool for explosiveness, and also makes the somewhat vague technique of the basic barbell row a bit more concrete. It also significantly reduces the amount of stress and strain on the somewhat vulnerable lower back. With training frequency being what it is, and since the rows follow squats in this program, giving the lower back a rest can be rather desirable. "

I have back problems atm, maybe I should give this a go.

i bend right over and pull to belly button. i cheat a bit by bouncing to finish sets (better than just stopping altogether or doing half reps) but wont increase the weight until i can do it with decent form. no point in being super strict as long as you arent putting your lower back at risk by rounding or anything.