• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Markos had some home made squat stands/safety stands that looked like big boxes. If you can get some sort of boxes to use as squat racks it might help.

You could use dumbells held at shoulder height or get animal feed sacks on your back/shoulders and squat them. My chook food comes in 25kg and 40kg sacks. Otherwise fill them with sand and keep adding more as you get stronger. Plenty of ways to skin a cat...

thanks for the ideas! If it's my first time doing deadlifts, should I start with just the bar or load the bar with light weights?

Markos had some home made squat stands/safety stands that looked like big boxes. If you can get some sort of boxes to use as squat racks it might help.

You could use dumbells held at shoulder height or get animal feed sacks on your back/shoulders and squat them. My chook food comes in 25kg and 40kg sacks. Otherwise fill them with sand and keep adding more as you get stronger. Plenty of ways to skin a cat...

thanks for the ideas! If it's my first time doing deadlifts, should I start with just the bar or load the bar with light weights?

justMOVE.

couple of things.
your gym doesn't sound ideal at all but you can make the best of what you've got.
your results will not be like others, but it will be better than what you currently have.

so.

Start the movements in your program above with just the bar.
if you get the required numbre of sets and reps, then the next session increase the weight.
lets say you did SLDL with just the bar and it was extremely easy, then next session add 10kg.
if you did the over head press with just the bar and it was easy bt not as easy as the SLDL, then only add 5kg to the bar for over head press next time.

for your diet.
vegetarian and no eggs makes it pretty hard and again, your gains will not be like other peoples.. but, yo ucan still do it.

Can you eat fish?
if so, stock up on tins of Tuna in olive oil and grill up fish when ever you can.

you say you can drink milk and currently have 300ml per day?
if it doesn't make you sick, drink LOTS.. work up to 1L per day, then more and more.
keep going till you can drink 2-3L per day.

this will give you the calories you need.

Also if you are not eating it, eat mushrooms.

Can you eat Peanut butter (actually, do you get peanut butter where you live??).. if so, eat lots.
start with a Jar each week.

1.) increase the weight you lift on each exercise every session.. be it by 2.5kg or 10kg.. just keep increasing.
2.) eat lots and LOTS of food. and drink all the milk you can get. Find any alternative you can for meat to get your protein.. you need lots.

justMOVE.

couple of things.
your gym doesn't sound ideal at all but you can make the best of what you've got.
your results will not be like others, but it will be better than what you currently have.

so.

if you get the required numbre of sets and reps, then the next session increase the weight.
lets say you did SLDL with just the bar and it was extremely easy, then next session add 10kg.
if you did the over head press with just the bar and it was easy bt not as easy as the SLDL, then only add 5kg to the bar for over head press next time.

for your diet.
vegetarian and no eggs makes it pretty hard and again, your gains will not be like other peoples.. but, yo ucan still do it.

Can you eat fish?
if so, stock up on tins of Tuna in olive oil and grill up fish when ever you can.

if it doesn't make you sick, drink LOTS.. work up to 1L per day, then more and more.

Can you eat Peanut butter (actually, do you get peanut butter where you live??).. if so, eat lots.

1.) increase the weight you lift on each exercise every session.. be it by 2.5kg or 10kg.. just keep increasing.
2.) eat lots and LOTS of food. and drink all the milk you can get. Find any alternative you can for meat to get your protein.. you need lots.

and then move to australia to compete for one of our sporting teams after all this has worked :) just to say thanks and all that...

and then move to australia to compete for one of our sporting teams after all this has worked :) just to say thanks and all that...

justMOVE.

couple of things.

so.

for your diet.

Can you eat fish?

thanks so much for a detailed and thorough reply.

I have started squatting with the unloaded olympic bar (45 lbs). I lift it from the bench press equipment and place it on my shoulders and start squatting. I'll start adding weight from next training session.

Fish is restricted too. I get peanut butter where I live. I'll increase intake of peanut butter and mushrooms.

I think I'll need to switch from skim milk (3% fat) to high fat milk (4.5 %).

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I needed it very much!

justMOVE.

couple of things.

so.

for your diet.

Can you eat fish?

thanks so much for a detailed and thorough reply.

I have started squatting with the unloaded olympic bar (45 lbs). I lift it from the bench press equipment and place it on my shoulders and start squatting. I'll start adding weight from next training session.

Fish is restricted too. I get peanut butter where I live. I'll increase intake of peanut butter and mushrooms.

I think I'll need to switch from skim milk (3% fat) to high fat milk (4.5 %).

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I needed it very much!

I'd like to encourage you for the weight loss that you have achieved. It is hard for us to see how you have done so much and have not progressed to lifting heavier weights than you have. Also commend you for researching and finding this place.

TTT: Excellent idea with the mushrooms!

Also keep up the pulses (lentils, beans chickpeas etc.)
Most protein powders (in Australia and NZ) are derived from milk (Whey protein) and are quite affordable. We're sorry that is not the case for you.

The exercises you have, with the diet advice and some good old fashioned hard work will get you a long way.

I'd like to encourage you for the weight loss that you have achieved. It is hard for us to see how you have done so much and have not progressed to lifting heavier weights than you have. Also commend you for researching and finding this place.

Most protein powders (in Australia and NZ) are derived from milk (Whey protein) and are quite affordable. We're sorry that is not the case for you.

The exercises you have, with the diet advice and some good old fashioned hard work will get you a long way.

I'll be using this program for the year and see how the results go, every 3 months I'll test my 1rm in Squats, Deads, Bench and Press. I was going to use Chins instead of the Curls, would this be more efficient for the program?

I'll be using this program for the year and see how the results go, every 3 months I'll test my 1rm in Squats, Deads, Bench and Press. I was going to use Chins instead of the Curls, would this be more efficient for the program?

From what I've gathered it really doesn't matter, just so long as you squat/dead/bench 3 times a week and eat up. chins are fine

From what I've gathered it really doesn't matter, just so long as you squat/dead/bench 3 times a week and eat up. chins are fine

Thanks for suggestions. Should every workout session see a small increase in weight?

example
My first session of deadlift with just the unloaded olympic barbell (45 lbs/20 kg)

session II - add 10 pounds

session III - add 20 pounds

and so on?

Thanks for suggestions. Should every workout session see a small increase in weight?

example
My first session of deadlift with just the unloaded olympic barbell (45 lbs/20 kg)

session II - add 10 pounds

session III - add 20 pounds

and so on?

yes - if you managed to complete the sets and reps as per your program.
if it says 10 reps and you only manage 9, then next time you do that exercise, use the same weight as last time and try to get 10 reps.
THEN, increase the weight for next session

yes - if you managed to complete the sets and reps as per your program.
if it says 10 reps and you only manage 9, then next time you do that exercise, use the same weight as last time and try to get 10 reps.
THEN, increase the weight for next session

Ok little background and then an honest question.
I'm 6'5" and weigh around 95kg, pretty low bf.
I started Bill Starr's 5x5 but hurt my wrist doing cleans (crap technique - my bad) after about two weeks, then read about and switched to Stronglifts 5x5, and have been progressing on it for around 6 weeks.
My current lifts are a mixed bag (these are my 5x5s - I haven't done any 1RM tests)

Squat 112.5kg
Bench 85kg
Row 75kg
OH Press 50kg (super crap)
Deadlift 130kg.

I know these aren't huge figures and nowhere near the 1.2, 1.5, 2xBW suggested around the place, but do you think I would still benefit from the program you've listed, or do I seem like I'm passed the 'beginner' stage?

I'm trying to be clear, not ask anything too stupid. If you guys think I'd make more progress on this program I'll give it a shot and stick to it like glue.

Cheers

Mob.

Ok little background and then an honest question.
I'm 6'5" and weigh around 95kg, pretty low bf.
I started Bill Starr's 5x5 but hurt my wrist doing cleans (crap technique - my bad) after about two weeks, then read about and switched to Stronglifts 5x5, and have been progressing on it for around 6 weeks.
My current lifts are a mixed bag (these are my 5x5s - I haven't done any 1RM tests)

Squat 112.5kg
Bench 85kg
Row 75kg
OH Press 50kg (super crap)
Deadlift 130kg.

I know these aren't huge figures and nowhere near the 1.2, 1.5, 2xBW suggested around the place, but do you think I would still benefit from the program you've listed, or do I seem like I'm passed the 'beginner' stage?

I'm trying to be clear, not ask anything too stupid. If you guys think I'd make more progress on this program I'll give it a shot and stick to it like glue.

Cheers

Mob.