• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Well done. Do you have spell check?

1. Nautilus didn't make a plate loaded leg extension
2. Machine 2 doesn't read like a Hammer strength.

The angle of the seat will make no difference, in fact the angle as opposed to flat is designed that way to make sure the hip has minimal movement throughout the exercise.

My guess is the axis is not in-line with the knee joint, if it is in-line then the movement, either the pad is too high or the machine is engineered poorly, should be around 4 inches above the ankle.

I checked out both the machines, not to win the argument but out of curiosity.

Both are hammerstrenght brand:

1. this one looks like Noah built it for the arc and it got a lot of use during the voyage, squeeky kunce feels great, loads up the quads well. The seat is on a slight tilt back and the back rest is a little more, perfect fit.

2. this one looks like it just came off the production line, way more features and bigger and heavier, pin loaded, belts to keep it quiet and smooth, safety guards on all moving parts, blah blah blah...... The seat is tilted back more, the back rest not as much so here already the knee looks like it will have to act like the pulley to drag the load up. The axis is also tricky on this one, if you dont pay attention to it and set the backrest to a position where most of the upper leg is supported by the seat board, the pivot axis of the swing arm is a little in front of the pivot axis of the knee, so they dont align. Have to have more leg hanging of the edge to align the pivot points and it does make it a bit more comfortable. The contact pads on the swing arms are also a bit low on this one for me, suppose be OK for a kunce thats 7'.

What do you rectum?

Went to use the leg ext. at the gym on the weekend and the cable was snapped..

Had to get back on the leg press.

I checked out both the machines, not to win the argument but out of curiosity.

Both are hammerstrenght brand:

1. this one looks like Noah built it for the arc and it got a lot of use during the voyage, squeeky kunce feels great, loads up the quads well. The seat is on a slight tilt back and the back rest is a little more, perfect fit.

2. this one looks like it just came off the production line, way more features and bigger and heavier, pin loaded, belts to keep it quiet and smooth, safety guards on all moving parts, blah blah blah...... The seat is tilted back more, the back rest not as much so here already the knee looks like it will have to act like the pulley to drag the load up. The axis is also tricky on this one, if you dont pay attention to it and set the backrest to a position where most of the upper leg is supported by the seat board, the pivot axis of the swing arm is a little in front of the pivot axis of the knee, so they dont align. Have to have more leg hanging of the edge to align the pivot points and it does make it a bit more comfortable. The contact pads on the swing arms are also a bit low on this one for me, suppose be OK for a kunce thats 7'.

What do you rectum?

Awesome.

The first one was originally designed by Gary Jones, Kim Wood and Ken Liestner, the intention was to build bigger (sized) machines for the bigger athletes.
Gary Jones, never lifted but he designed the most bio-mechanically correct machines at the time.

They sold the business in 1998 to life fitness, .

LF started producing pin loaded stuff, with not much success too pricey.

As long as the knee is in-line with the axis there wont be any sheer forces applied to the knee.

The strength curve (the cam)of both machines could be different and that's why it could feel off.
The kevlar belt on the pin-loaded machines makes the movement smooth and lessens the friction and well suited to the "super-slow' people.

The leg-press, the squat and dead-lift will not train the quad as well as the leg extension, because the leg extension is the only movement that loads the muscle at full extension.
Done properly you will be unable to handle much weight at all.

Later I will post a leg routine that had Sergio Olivia collapse and lay on the floor for 10 minutes it included the leg extension, LP and the squat.

The belt really is silky smooth and I think this makes sense "As long as the knee is in-line with the axis there wont be any sheer forces applied to the knee."

I should do some leg extension to build my quads up more

That's all good, the trick here, as with all exercise is to make sure the antagonists receive the same attention and stimulation.

More often than not injuries around the joint are caused by muscle imbalance.

So if you're going to spend time on the quads, make sure you do hammy stuff too, leg curls are the ticket.

In my leg sessions which I complete on Monday's and Friday's.

I usually do lunges, squats, leg press then equal ratio of sets between leg extensions and leg curls.
So far it's been really quite effective training like this. It's a fair effort, and takes a while, but it's worth it for good legs!

In my leg sessions which I complete on Monday's and Friday's.

I usually do lunges, squats, leg press then equal ratio of sets between leg extensions and leg curls.
So far it's been really quite effective training like this. It's a fair effort, and takes a while, but it's worth it for good legs!

That's a big workout man. I'd be similar but split it over two days. Couldn't manage that amount of work in one session twice per week.

It's a fair effort, and takes a while, but it's worth it for good legs!

Yes it is, once there is some size and shape, you wax or shave and tan them dark, looks awesome.
Then stand next to a kunce with skinny, hairy, no shape and white legs and you think faaaaaaaark, was it worth the effort.

That's a big workout man. I'd be similar but split it over two days. Couldn't manage that amount of work in one session twice per week.

Yeah, its pretty big. I do a lot of big workouts.
I've got loads of spare time after lunch, so I usually just stay in the gym till work or a bus home!
So far the longer workouts have worked, though next year may be different as I'm starting Year 12.

Yes it is, once there is some size and shape, you wax or shave and tan them dark, looks awesome.
Then stand next to a kunce with skinny, hairy, no shape and white legs and you think faaaaaaaark, was it worth the effort.

Exactly man, legs are in my opinion one of the most important part of any physique. They're visible most of the year especially if you wear shorts all the time like me. Not sure when I'll reach that stage, but I'll imagine another year or so!

Exactly man, legs are in my opinion one of the most important part of any physique. They're visible most of the year especially if you wear shorts all the time like me. Not sure when I'll reach that stage, but I'll imagine another year or so!

Just keep chipping away at them bro, they are a kunce, very aerobic, but I'm also a believer in a big leg workout. In a session I'll do squats, hack squats, press, extensions, curls, standing and sitting calves. Do that twice a week.
fucks me big time but needs to be done.

I like this story.

a man rushed toward a silent mass of flesh lying face up on the floor
he touched it, the body was cold, clammy and unresponsive
"he looks dead to me"
suddenly the corpse opened its left eye and smiled.
"arthur wouldn't let me die-at least not until I've finished the workout"

sergio then the largest man in the history of bodybuilding had just completed a brief cycle of leg exercise.

according to darden the most demanding pre-exhaustive routine ever devised by arthur jones.

jones recognized the full squat as the most productive lower body exercise because of the large muscle involvement of the thighs, buttocks and lower back.

he was also aware that the lower back fatigued long before the thighs had been worked thoroughly.

his solution: fatigue the thighs before the squat so that the lower back would be temporarily stronger and that failure would more likely occur in the thighs.....

first up

the leg press 220kg, jones demanded 20 reps but Sergio forced to catch his breath at 17' he slowly squeezed out the remainder, two spotters rushed him to the leg extension loaded with 100kg, the goal again 20 reps, Sergio was ready to pack it in at 10, somehow managed another 7 or 8, they rushed him of to the squat rack on thighs that could not have made it alone.

he barely completed the second and third rep with 200kg ( he could not perform one rep with 200kg 3 weeks earlier)
the goal was 12, 11 was slow, 12 even slower and 13 a dead stop jones nodded the spotters removed a few plates and rushed him back in.

"okay Sergio, any champion bodybiulder ought to be able to squat with 130kg.

he had no choice. 6 reps perfect form, the boom, he hit the floor.
jones allowed a clammy 20 minute rest before starting the upper body sequence.

it took less tha 5 minutes.

Just keep chipping away at them bro, they are a kunce, very aerobic, but I'm also a believer in a big leg workout. In a session I'll do squats, hack squats, press, extensions, curls, standing and sitting calves. Do that twice a week.
fucks me big time but needs to be done.

That's it. I'm 6'4 so legs can be a pain, and I really need to bulk them up to give them any shape.
Wish we had hack squats, etc - would be mint.

I'll crush something like 5 sets of weighted lunges, 6 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg press, 4 sets of leg extensions, 4 sets of leg curls.
Then 15 minutes of the Elliptical to warm them down, a 5 minutes of stretches. I do this twice a week.
Then I do about 15-20 sets on calves twice a week as well.

They still eff with me when it comes to growing, but they have doubled in the last 6 months.

That's it. I'm 6'4 so legs can be a pain, and I really need to bulk them up to give them any shape.
Wish we had hack squats, etc - would be mint.

I'll crush something like 5 sets of weighted lunges, 6 sets of squats, 4 sets of leg press, 4 sets of leg extensions, 4 sets of leg curls.
Then 15 minutes of the Elliptical to warm them down, a 5 minutes of stretches. I do this twice a week.
Then I do about 15-20 sets on calves twice a week as well.

They still eff with me when it comes to growing, but they have doubled in the last 6 months.

Too good, great leg workout, I know it's draining but stick with it.

The leg-press, the squat and dead-lift will not train the quad as well as the leg extension, because the leg extension is the only movement that loads the muscle at full extension.
Done properly you will be unable to handle much weight at all.

Later I will post a leg routine that had Sergio Olivia collapse and lay on the floor for 10 minutes it included the leg extension, LP and the squat.
-Does this go for front squat as well?