• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why high intensity cardio exercise is bad for your heart

S

Stiffy

IF YOU ever wanted an excuse to skip out on your Bootcamp or personal training session, this could be it. Two new studies suggest too much high-intensity exercise could lead to heart problems. The first study, conducted by German researchers, followed more than 1000 people mostly in their 60s, who had existing heart disease and had enrolled in an exercise program to prevent further heart health issues.
As hypothesised, the least physically active people were at increased risk for heart problems and earlier death. But the most active group, those who did daily strenuous physical activity, also had increased risk of dying of heart problems than people who were active only two to four times a week, according to the study.
In the second study, Swedish researchers surveyed more than 44,000 men between the ages of 45 and 79 about their physical activity habits at various ages throughout their lives. Researchers also monitored the heart health of the men for an average of 12 years, looking in particular for atrial fibrillation, a type of irregular heartbeat ....................................................................

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fi...d-for-your-heart/story-fnlsv23r-1226920379619

378217-db7f51bc-dc98-11e3-8125-0ad81a58de5e.jpg

Gotta admit I was addicted to interval training and hill sprints for many years and while never being fitter, I always wondered if it was a bit risky when taken to far. I guess that's the key, moderation.

Mate study was done on people over 60 with heart conditions…of course HIIT workouts are not for them.

Nothing wrong with it for healthy individuals.

Mate study was done on people over 60 with heart conditions…of course HIIT workouts are not for them.

Nothing wrong with it for healthy individuals.

but you hear Doctors complain that people who just lift have strong muscles but weak hearts. HIIT is somewhat a diluted version of resistance training. I wonder if its the prolonged nature of HIIT that may be the risk.

"In the second study, Swedish researchers surveyed more than 44,000 men between the ages of 45 and 79 about their physical activity habits at various ages throughout their lives ........... The most active men — those who completed intense exercise for more than five hours a week — were 19 per cent likelier to have developed an irregular heartbeat by age 60"

One bloke I use to follow on elite fts had a theory that cardiac strength was built on cardio in the 120-130 BPM range. Not with high intensity intervals.

Last edited:
not saying anything against high intensity, other day pushed to get pulse high.

But, the endurance coaches I know, always stress that slower work at lower heart rate key and just as effective as anything for fitness.

I am getting back into regular moderate intensity training in case it does help your heat fitness more - and glucose levels, now at 5.8 when fasting.

Started reading, then got distracted by the chick in the picture... What we talkin' bout here again? :p

I was going to say something but didn't want to derail yet another thread. I knew my brother in arms would step in!

[MENTION=15762]Test-E[/MENTION]; [MENTION=17161]white_lie[/MENTION]; [MENTION=12395]Grunta[/MENTION]; I knew you boys would like the pic ;)

All heart you are stiff-meister, always looking out for us!

I think a lot of things we do now with our training (or work or life in general) can lead to problems later in life. It's all latent risk

No, the opposite.

i think the term; "less is more" for most of us is applicable here.

i think I heard a lot of ironman athletes have heart issues.

yolo

yep, that Welsh dude was an Ironman whose heart is stuffed now. Sure there might be others.

The article did say though "people who had done 5 hours per week of high intensity training at various stages of their lives". Who does 5 hours of HIIT per week? Pretty excessive!