• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What hammy work do you do?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
The hamstrings: leg curls, stiff-leg/straight-leg deadlifts? Or do you just rely on the standard issue compounds (e.g., squats and deadlifts) ?

I wish there was a GHDR in my gym. I guess I just have to go with the second best option, the SLDL

I should do more straight leg deads, but mainly leg curls followed by hyers with weight or vice versa, after quads.

I find my hammies are pretty overactive, particularly when squatting, so I stick to some RDLs, curls, lunges.. but I try not go overboard.

SLDL and laying curls. I guess lunges also work them too. I wish my gym had those devices that you hook your legs into and do a hammy curl with your own body weight.

SLDL don't seem to work for me, unless I'm doing it wrong however regular deadlifts I find work them more. Also do lunges, leg curl machine and the one where your lying on the floor with knees bent and push through your heels lifting the butt off the floor. Works the hammies and glutes pretty good.

SLDL and laying curls. I guess lunges also work them too. I wish my gym had those devices that you hook your legs into and do a hammy curl with your own body weight.

A back extension/hyper or Roman chair? Or do you mean something else?

I'd like a uni lateral hammy curl, bit awkward to do single leg work on the ones built for both legs. Can kind of improvise and use a low pulley and ankle strap but it doesn't feel right

Stiff legged deadlifts
Lying hammy curls
Seated hammy curls
Squats
Deadlifts

Not all in the same session obviously.

I'd like a uni lateral hammy curl, bit awkward to do single leg work on the ones built for both legs. Can kind of improvise and use a low pulley and ankle strap but it doesn't feel right

It's frustrating how it just doesn't feel right.. I always see photos from gyms in america with standing leg curl machines. For a long time, lying leg curls didn't feel right (and seated curls definitely aren't right) but I'm finally getting the hang of it after years of using it :p

Otherwise for uni lateral hammy curls, I place a platform in front of a leg extension machine and put one leg on the platform and curl the other leg.

One of these.
PMGH-2-2.jpg

To be used like this.
nordic-curls.png

Looks like a dodgy GHR to me?

Before injury, SLDL.
I also use a lot of hamstring while low bar squatting
I tried the regular hamstring curl machines but don't really like them. GHR is absolute killer but don't have one at my gym.
I do single leg back extensions which seems to work very well. Don't want to load up with upper back injury.