• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Big Dave

Hi all,

I've got a standard adjustable dumbell set where the smallest increase is 2.5kg per dumbell (1.25 plate a side).

What I wanted to ask is do any of you do anything to allow for smaller increases in weight such as unevenly loading the dumbell or micro loading with smaller weights? Or anything else? Let me know of any pro/cons as sometimes the smallest jump seems to be a little large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never saw the point in this
I struggle to believe going to all that effort is worth simply doing an extra rep or shortening the rest periods until you can jump up. Often in my own training, I won't even do less than 10kg increments. What's the point in adding 2.5kg? You barely notice the difference anyway, even on bench

For some people it can make a huge difference.

Especially for the seasoned weightlifter, bodybuilder, resistance trainer, or whatever the fuck we call ourselves/ get called these days.

I never saw the point in this
I struggle to believe going to all that effort is worth simply doing an extra rep or shortening the rest periods until you can jump up. Often in my own training, I won't even do less than 10kg increments. What's the point in adding 2.5kg? You barely notice the difference anyway, even on bench

At your age maybe not but try making 10kg jumps after you've been lifting for 20 or 30 years
Open your fecken eyes you crazy fucker

I doubt the training effect of doing 8 reps with 27.5kg is any different to the training effect of doing 7 reps with 30kg

I doubt the training effect of doing 8 reps with 27.5kg is any different to the training effect of doing 7 reps with 30kg

I would have to agree with this, people talk about nutrient timing etc being the 1% but I would be willing to bet nutrient timing would have a bigger impact on your training than using micro plates would.

Going up 2.5kg per dumbbell is 5kg overall. I would be very surprised if you only drop one rep. Especially for smaller upper body exercise that dumbbells are used for.

Nutrient timing. Lol. Maybe if you are an elite athlete doing multiple training sessions a day but for the average shit kicker doing at most one session a day and then sitting on your arse you are just playing with yourself.

Lol. Maybe if you are an elite athlete doing multiple training sessions a day but for the average shit kicker doing at most one session a day and then sitting on your arse you are just playing with yourself.

Pretty much how I feel about micro plates :p

And to be honest I don't really use dumbbells, don't even own any adjustable DB's, have a set of fixed ones that are covered in dust.:)

The fact that adding .5 of a kilo to your db will make no differnece to your progress, just lift the one you have as many times as you can, then once it gets too light add weight and start over.

Pretty simple, no need to keep it at exactly 10 reps or what ever by using miniscule weight adjustments, makes no difference at all, and realy might even slow your progress, depending on how you train.

The fact that adding .5 of a kilo to your db will make no differnece to your progress, just lift the one you have as many times as you can, then once it gets too light add weight and start over.

Pretty simple, no need to keep it at exactly 10 reps or what ever by using miniscule weight adjustments, makes no difference at all, and realy might even slow your progress, depending on how you train.

.5kg plates = 1kg per dumbbell = 2kg overall.

Going up by 2.5kg on barbell lifts is hardly considered micro loading.

Dumbbells are usually used for smaller muscles so going up by 2.5kg per dumbbell is often way to big a jump percentage wise.

Probably don't comment on something you don't even use.

I agree that micro plates are definitely not needed for compound movements but what about those who use dumbells for isolation exercises. A 2.5 or 5kg jump on side raises etc is a massive increase for some.

Pretty much how I feel about micro plates :p

And to be honest I don't really use dumbbells, don't even own any adjustable DB's, have a set of fixed ones that are covered in dust.:)

How the feck would you know Mick since you don't use dumbells and don't own any micro plates either, so you've never tried it
Surely you don't believe that you can jump 5-10kg increments forever.
It's a cumulative effect, a 1kg increase over the course of say a year adds up to significant weight increase

I agree that micro plates are definitely not needed for compound movements but what about those who use dumbells for isolation exercises. A 2.5 or 5kg jump on side raises etc is a massive increase for some.

If you care about the weight you're using for lateral raises then you're doing it wrong.

Yeah. I made some .625kg plates, and they're pretty handy for both. Makes a difference for me, with shit like OHP. Those that don't need them, great. Good for you. Works for me though.