• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good deadlift tip

Also, it helps if your toes are pointed slightly out
Otherwise you'll come up onto the sides of your feet and will get red lighted if the judges are fags

I remember Marko saying that rack pulls helped with getting it off the floor and deficit deads for improved post knee pulling

Isnt it the other way around?

No it's correct. Most people are just idiots
Rack pulls strengthen the upper back. The main problem with off the floor is maintaining positioning. Deficit pulls tire you out and make the top of the lift harder

I can attest to what Oni says.

My weakness is off the floor and I find rack pulls not much easier than pulling off the floor. It seems counterintuitive, because in a heavy deadlift, once it goes past my knees, the weight flies up. But my weakness is in the upper back, which makes it harder to maintain positioning.

For the same reason, long pauses 1" off the floor have helped heaps. They tax out upper back and make you conscious of keeping your lats tight.

Personally I find rack pulls useless for improving my deadlift. If I was to do any deadlift variation (which I don't really) it'd be snatch grip deadlifts.

No it's correct. Most people are just idiots
Rack pulls strengthen the upper back. The main problem with off the floor is maintaining positioning. Deficit pulls tire you out and make the top of the lift harder

Makes sense.

I've only just started doing conventional block pulls (from 3" blocks) and in my training plan I was going to attempt to add 5% to my top lift from the floor for the day and do the same reps. In actuality, this is proving near impossible. With the higher start position, I feel as if it is ALL about keeping the upper back tight and using the glutes to finish the lift whereas coming up off the floor that position will basically be passed with momentum from the initial leg drive. Well that is how it feels to me.

I don't think I have ever lifted more in rack pulls from knees or below than I can off the floor.

I think rack pulls are great for strengthening the back. Even very high rack pulls with way over your deadlift max your upper is fried for days.

I don't think I have ever lifted more in rack pulls from knees or below than I can off the floor.

I think rack pulls are great for strengthening the back. Even very high rack pulls with way over your deadlift max your upper is fried for days.

Last week I did a 380kg hand and thigh lift from mid thigh. 9 plates and no room for collars. My right strap broke after 5 seconds of holding it at the top and I hit myself in the face, the bar wobbled like crazy on the pins and a load of plates fell off

It was amazing

Last week I did a 380kg hand and thigh lift from mid thigh. 9 plates and no room for collars. My right strap broke after 5 seconds of holding it at the top and I hit myself in the face, the bar wobbled like crazy on the pins and a load of plates fell off

It was amazing

You're amazing

Anytime Fitness Seaford
They removed the leaderboard shortly after I demolished the squat, deadlift, max push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups and 5km records in a single session

If you haven't and you can I'd first get after the Squat, usually when the squat improves so does the Dead-lift.

But I also like what canobi and Bazza20 are writing.

I agree with this. I improved my squat by 15kg then my deadlift flew up by 30kg.

A good tip from Oni, I'm going to give it a whirl this week and see if it makes a difference for me.