• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Belts

0ni

Registered Rustler
I noticed these last two weeks that wearing a belt makes exactly no difference to me

At first I felt naked without it but in 2 weeks I am hitting and surpassing my old belted numbers on the squat and deadlift. On the squat it makes me feel "more secure" which maybe helps with unracking the bar and walking it out but I am currently not noticing any performance enhancement with wearing a belt. I would argue that I get more from my shoes

What do other people have to say on this subject? I see lots people people that do not get shit from belts when deadlifting but why should the squat be any different?

I hardly ever use my belt any more, mainly because its just one less thing to worry about.

Last time I used it I was getting 5-10kg out of it for deads and about 10-15kg on squats.

I've been playing around with a belt for deads and don't think I get anything out of it. I definitely get 10kg+ out of a belt for squats.

I read it somewhere (from a competitor) that he does not use belt for squatting because he even had a cracked rib from it once. :eek:

I researched getting a belt awhile ago. Seems it will prevent you from injury, however when you do injury yourself with a belt it will be much worse than without one. I didn't think wearing a belt would add kgs to your lift etc, more of a safety measure

Wrong.

A belt will not prevent injury.
A belt will potentially add kilo's to your lift.

I think one can reasonably argue that if a belt allows you to move more weight than the potential injury will be much higher. Do I think that it would be statistically significant? Fuck no

Question for the stronger people- does that amount I get from a belt increase the stronger I get? For instance when my squat has doubled will the difference between belted and unbelted be greater?

I feel like with a belt that I can push more and feel that tightness at the bottom and feel like it increases my speed out the hole but after getting a few people to look for me there is no real difference- it just "feels" that way

I used to find that the belt was a distraction that didn't aid me at all while deadlifting, but over the last 8 months or so, I've gotten a fair amount out of it.

On squats, before I started using a belt I had been stuck at about 90-100kg as a 5RM for about 6 months -- started using a belt and quickly outlifted my old 1RM for reps. I distinctly recall it initially feeling like having a spotter assisting me on the way up. I've also found that what I can squat without a belt has improved as my belted squat has improved, and for the most part I avoid using the belt for anything other than work sets. As of this week, I've decided to start doing work sets without a belt as well -- one session a week with a belt, one without -- and see what happens.

I think the belt changes the way you squat, so I can't see the point in using it sparingly...I'd like to squat the same every time so I'd rather use it all the time..

i only use a belt on my heavier sets, i try to not use it as much as possible.
i will also use it if i am doing 20 reps sets as i find as i fatigue in the final reps its hard to keep tight which the belt just gives a bit of extra security for the final lifts

i feel it definitely adds weight to my max lift though.

I think the belt changes the way you squat, so I can't see the point in using it sparingly...I'd like to squat the same every time so I'd rather use it all the time..

Your right there.
The belt changes your angles.

To get the most out of a belt you need to use it properly, and actually pushing against it, not just putting it on and thinking it will do its job. people talk about it 'getting in the way' make sure you have it in the right position, i find if its too low it pinches and a cant creat the pressure, too high i cant breath properly. Having it too tight will also make it very hard to push against it.

Used a belt for the first time on bench tonight. Felt pretty damn good, took all the pressure off my lower back. Although I wouldnt use it all the time. I can create enough stability without one.

I have only ever used a belt for equipped bench, honestly can't tell the difference with the support.

I pulled 222.5 without a belt and it was hard, then pulled it again with a belt and it was much easier. Obviously there are far more variables than a belt, but i figure it can't hurt.

I squat olympic style and wearing a belt down the bottom seemed to put me out of position, or pinch me painfully, and to a lesser extent on DL. Never tried maxing with a belt as it I didn't even feel like I was moving correctly.

Perhaps I would have learnt to use it with more persistence, but meh.

I do like to wear mne sometimes for OHP though, if my back/core is feeling particularly unstable/fatigued.

The first time i put on a belt it turned my 1RM squat (145) to a 3RM@145. Gave me more pressure and stability out of the hole which in turn made the squat much more manageable.

My old coach used to swear by it as it would as she said allow me to remember to switch my core on and help with my waist, I felt more stable when I dod use it. I have not lifted with it for a fair while but since I am lifting heavier now and "bulking" lol I may try again see if there is an adverse affect

As someone who has never used a belt, can I ask how a belt actually helps you potentially lift more? Are you just more stable through the core?

As someone who has never used a belt, can I ask how a belt actually helps you potentially lift more? Are you just more stable through the core?

It gives you something to push against to create high abdominal pressure, making you more stable. And so helps you hold positioning, so theory you should be able to lift more