• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

opinions on "lean gains"

Because there is no money to be made by indoctrinating a generation into thinking that your body can only make use of 30g of protein at a time and you need to eat this precise amount every 2-3 hours?

Why do protein supplement manufacturers advertise their standard serving as 30g of protein when mixed with milk?

Like it or not, the 6+ meal a day, 30g of protein at a time, model perfectly suited the supplement industry. The problem with this way of eating is that it is completely inconvenient for most people who have a life. Protein supplements are the perfect solution to this problem.

Leangains doesn't say anywhere it is the only solution or that the traditional 6 meal a day model doesn't work. It only says the 6 meals a day is not necessary, as a matter of physiological fact.

Im sure it works fine for most people under 100kg's, and another thing fitting in allot of meals through out the day is possible. I work 12 hours a day with 1 hour travel and do it fine, if it was easy then everyone would be big. But alas most people are just fkn lazy and do not have what it takes, they makes piss poor excuses all the time, and they go from one new fad to the other.

Im sure it works fine for most people under 100kg's, and another thing fitting in allot of meals through out the day is possible. I work 12 hours a day with 1 hour travel and do it fine, if it was easy then everyone would be big. But alas most people are just fkn lazy and do not have what it takes, they makes piss poor excuses all the time, and they go from one new fad to the other.

I am over 100KG , works well for me.

I followed the LeanGains approach for about 3-4 months. I was motivated to try it because I got to a point where I was so sick of following the old 'eat every 2-3 hours' ideology, it didn't feel right to me.

From my experience it was fantastic for fat loss, too easy really. My energy levels were fine, my digestion seemed better. The biggest lesson for me was that your muscles won't shrivel up if you go without food for an extended period, provided you're consuming adequate calories overall.

The only reason I'm not still following it is because I was having trouble eating enough calories in the 8-hour window to gain weight, which is my current goal. Now I usually eat 3-4 bigger meals a day and I'm a lot happier in doing so. I'll never go back to 6-7 meals a day.

Leangains hasn't made a cent from me either. So Martin certainly isn't selling me anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

How much you taking in Skala? During a cut eating lots more in one meal is good. If I was trying to put on size and was 15kg heavier like you it may suck a bit, but then again most people can not get over 100kg. Personally though I don't go by intermittent fasting. I just eat during my breaks at work and found not having breakfast and eating a bit later in the day stops me from over eating shit at night once I finish work and have to wait for the train.

How much you taking in Skala? During a cut eating lots more in one meal is good. If I was trying to put on size and was 15kg heavier like you it may suck a bit, but then again most people can not get over 100kg. Personally though I don't go by intermittent fasting. I just eat during my breaks at work and found not having breakfast and eating a bit later in the day stops me from over eating shit at night once I finish work and have to wait for the train.

Hi Dave im taking in about 5000 cals rite now, thats seeing me loose 1/4 of an inch a week around the waist while remaining the same weight. I don't think i could stomach eating 5000 cals in 8 hours lol, and god help me if I decided to bulk.

Hi Dave im taking in about 5000 cals rite now, thats seeing me loose 1/4 of an inch a week around the waist while remaining the same weight. I don't think i could stomach eating 5000 cals in 8 hours lol, and god help me if I decided to bulk.

Fark, that is 2000 more than me you big bastard. 1500 more than me when I do a little recomp after making 105. BF % (approximate)?

Fark, that is 2000 more than me you big bastard. 1500 more than me when I do a little recomp after making 105. BF % (approximate)?

Nice mate didn't realise you where weighing that much. My bf % is sitting at 17% trying to acheive 10% @ 120 by september. I have made some crazy gains this last 6 months. I took on you're advice on the hill sprints, its kicking my arse lol.

Most people eating big amounts of calories are going to have to spread it over more meals. There is no need to fit it into 8 hours if you don't want.

Im doing just under 4000 calories a day for my cut. I am a bit different I love eating big meals, if I had to I could easily do 2 x 3000 calorie meals a day. I can't wait to bulk.

And what that would that be exactly?

What works is consuming adequate calories with sufficient macronutrient balance to support the desired body composition and exercsie perfromance you need.

I'm pretty sure what OP has listed is just another way of doing what I've just outlined, which for many makes life easier by not being focused on meal timing and food for the majority of the day.

FYI, just because I follow a fasting method does not mean I think everyone should do it. It should come down to the individuals lifestyle requirements and allows for the best dietary adherence for the long term.

Higher meal frequency for metabolic benefits are all myths and have been disproven a number of times and with fasting protocols, there is a slight metabolic and hormonal benefit. But that is not the reason most who follow an IF protocol unlike many who follow a high meal frequency method who still believe that it is superior for metabolic function etc.

I agree with you Max.
May not be for everyone but it does work for a few people.
I've been on it for 9 weeks now and i love it.
I never left home in my life without brekie but now i just skip breakfast to have it later on . Still eat my breakfast but not at the same time :)
Is more of a life stile change than a diet for me.
I eat more than before and still loosing body fat. Am paying more attention to macros though .
Strength wise i feel that i haven't lost any at all.

Max i read somewhere that should keep carbs high on training days and fat low , on rest days the opposite.
Do you still recommend 0.8g of fat per kg of body weight as minimum?
Cheers!

So if you can't or don't think you could take in those calories in an 8 hours window (or whatever you think it is) sounds like an excuse to me. Not heard of ice cream and the other 100 calorie dense food types :)

If you had (or thought you had) to do it with the traditionally classed 'clean'' (OCD) foods, then yes it maybe difficult but again that shows how little the individual knows about nutrient assimilation etc.

It all comes down to personal preference and what best allows for dietary adhrence but not the reasons most 'bros' give, of which is the old 'that is what the big dudes do' does not mean jacksh!t.

I agree with you Max.
May not be for everyone but it does work for a few people.
I've been on it for 9 weeks now and i love it.
I never left home in my life without brekie but now i just skip breakfast to have it later on . Still eat my breakfast but not at the same time :)
Is more of a life stile change than a diet for me.
I eat more than before and still loosing body fat. Am paying more attention to macros though .
Strength wise i feel that i haven't lost any at all.

Max i read somewhere that should keep carbs high on training days and fat low , on rest days the opposite.
Do you still recommend 0.8g of fat per kg of body weight as minimum?
Cheers!
That is what Martin suggests, personally I think that is a little to much micromanagement and prefer to keep a consistent macro balance for my daily caloric needs.

For the most part yes, that fat intake should be the minimum.

You also have to take into consideration that fact that you are getting more nutrients and less bad fats by eating healthy foods. Sure you can eat ice cream, maccas and whatever, but if your not eating vegetables and whole grain unprocessed foods, you are much worse off in my opinion than the traditional bodybuilding approach.

I think I was better off before I knew the "truth". Sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...

Another thing, from what I can tell most pro's still eat pretty much the old school way..

bradsky what is the 'old school' way for bodybuilders to eat?

My Uncle was a BB for a long time, I remember him competing throughout my childhood and he was always a huge man - the only thing I really recall is him going on an incredibly restrictive diet of mostly protein right before comp time?

He's 65 now and has the best physique of any old fella I've ever known. He still goes to the gym 4 days a week, although hasn't competed as a BB for about 15 years now. I think he last entered a comp at the age of 51. Amazing man. He's the one who encouraged me to strength train, now that I've lost so much weight.

I could probably ask him what his old diet was, but he's overseas for 5 months at the moment.

Would be curious to hear.
:)

Typically professional bodybuilders will eat many (6+) meals a day consisting of a lean protein source, and some complex carbs, also supplementing with protein shakes throughout the day, there is allot of food and it is spaced out evenly throughout the day.