• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

opinions on "lean gains"

Alpha Moth

Just reading over at leangains.com - this type of eating would compliment my daily schedule/lifestyle very well. Lyle Mcdonald also supports the site/author.

Is IF a bad idea on a program like madcows 5 x 5 or does it matter? For bulking I assume you just eat above maintenance calories?

My daily schedule would look something like this:

1:30 PM or around lunch/noon: Pre-workout meal. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
4:45 PM: Training
6 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).
9:30 PM: Last meal before the fast.

I love it. Started over a month ago and haven't had brekky since.
I'm using it to cut slowly by keeping a weekly deficit. Losing about 0.4kg per week and my strength is still increasing.
It is very easy keeping your caloric intake in check, and if you wish to bulk you have to knock down some heavy meals which feels great.
So far nothing but praise for the system, from someone who used to get sick and light headed if I didn't eat breakfast.

Though like all successful programs, it hinges on your ability to control your caloric intake, coupled with ease of adherence.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it feels good then do it. Looks similar to me but Ieat earlier and not as late. I don't call it IF though , I call it suiting my lifestyle.

No reason it wouldn't work for madcows as long as cal/macro intake was sufficient.

If you are trying to bulk though, depending on your current weight it can be pretty damn difficult eating the required cals in 8hrs (well was for me).

I've been doing it for a bit over a year & previously was a 6 meals a day guy. Just seems normal now.

I dont do a true lean gains but follow along similar lines.

Basically 3 meals a day.
Hit min protein and fat levels
Eat a decent amount of fruit and veg
Rest of Calories can be what ever I want.

Easy and fits into a normal lifestyle.

On holidays I change it a bit to try and minimise the massive weight blow outs I seem to get.

Skip breakfast
Bodybuilder clean eating style lunch with lots of protein.
Dinner what ever I feel like

You guys can try all this new fangled stuff, il just stick to what works.

True this mate...

Just eat a fuck load of protein, fats, carbs...fuck counting calories...if your gaining to much eat abit less, if your not gaining enough eat abit more...not much to it...

I dont think I could ever skip breakfast...I am always hungry as fuarrrk in the morning...love breakfast!!

Done it for about 8 weeks in the past.
I can deal with the fasting part very easily.
Can't deal with consuming so many calories in the 8 hour feeding period, even on a cut.
Also, I always felt so tired after eating the first big meal of the day at 3pm, just wanted to sleep.

I've been trying it out for a few weeks (obviously too little time to comment with any real weight).

My experience thus far has been okay. I get reasonably hungry as the day progresses, so I haven't experienced the lack of hunger thing as advertised by leangains.

In general I have one meal before training, sometimes two. I haven't felt as strong during my sessions, although I'm also on a different program using different rep ranges so I can't say for sure that it is the change in eating pattern.

Apart from that nothing to report thus far!

You guys can try all this new fangled stuff, il just stick to what works.
And what that would that be exactly?

What works is consuming adequate calories with sufficient macronutrient balance to support the desired body composition and exercsie perfromance you need.

I'm pretty sure what OP has listed is just another way of doing what I've just outlined, which for many makes life easier by not being focused on meal timing and food for the majority of the day.

FYI, just because I follow a fasting method does not mean I think everyone should do it. It should come down to the individuals lifestyle requirements and allows for the best dietary adherence for the long term.

Higher meal frequency for metabolic benefits are all myths and have been disproven a number of times and with fasting protocols, there is a slight metabolic and hormonal benefit. But that is not the reason most who follow an IF protocol unlike many who follow a high meal frequency method who still believe that it is superior for metabolic function etc.

And what that would that be exactly?

What works is consuming adequate calories with sufficient macronutrient balance to support the desired body composition and exercsie perfromance you need.

I'm pretty sure what OP has listed is just another way of doing what I've just outlined, which for many makes life easier by not being focused on meal timing and food for the majority of the day.

FYI, just because I follow a fasting method does not mean I think everyone should do it. It should come down to the individuals lifestyle requirements and allows for the best dietary adherence for the long term.

Higher meal frequency for metabolic benefits are all myths and have been disproven a number of times and with fasting protocols, there is a slight metabolic and hormonal benefit. But that is not the reason most who follow an IF protocol unlike many who follow a high meal frequency method who still believe that it is superior for metabolic function etc.

Exactly what myself and other big guys that train have been doing for decades. Time for you to get some more studies out and copy and paste. Are you sure you just aren't going agains't the grain to make some $?? People like new fangled ideas.

Last edited:
Exactly what myself and other big guys that train have been doing for decades. Time for you to get some more studies out and copy and paste. Are you sure you just aren't going agains't the grain to make some $?? People like new fangled ideas.
hahahaha sure bro.....

Maybe you need to read my post again :)

I have been doing this sub consciously before i'd even read about lean gains as I found it worked for me.

My appetite is regulated better if I have a coffee in the morning and nothing else. I eat generally between 11.30am-12.30pm. Then i'll workout, have another meal. And another after that (dinner). I may snack in between but that's the crux of it.

Many eons ago I used to follow the 2 hr principal (blissfully ignorant) when I started body building. It trains you to eat even when you're not hungry, and really fucks up your appetite regulation (or it trains you to BE hungry every 2 hours). I am much more comfortable eating 3 larger meals than 6 smaller ones. It is convenient, and I feel better for it. I am also my strongest and heaviest I have been in a long while. To each his own, there is an individual component to all of this. Some people NEED breakfast (whether this is a physiological or psychological requirement is still TBA and again is individual)

Because there is no money to be made by indoctrinating a generation into thinking that your body can only make use of 30g of protein at a time and you need to eat this precise amount every 2-3 hours?

Why do protein supplement manufacturers advertise their standard serving as 30g of protein when mixed with milk?

Like it or not, the 6+ meal a day, 30g of protein at a time, model perfectly suited the supplement industry. The problem with this way of eating is that it is completely inconvenient for most people who have a life. Protein supplements are the perfect solution to this problem.

Leangains doesn't say anywhere it is the only solution or that the traditional 6 meal a day model doesn't work. It only says the 6 meals a day is not necessary, as a matter of physiological fact.