• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is my caloric intake high enough?

Zsaus

Hi guys I'm new to working out properly. I have gone to the gym on again off again for years and this time i have started taking it a lot more seriously. Im wondering whether my current diet is high enough in calories to support gains, im worried it is too low.
I'm 187cm and currently weigh 88kg 23 years of age.

This is an overview of my daily intake.

6:30am - 1 cup of oats, 200g Jalna no fat natural yogurt, 1 banana, ON gold standard Whey protein shake, 2x Omega 3 1500mg capsules.

9:30am - 1 Orange, 1 60g Max's cut carbs protein bar, 1 cup of mixed almonds and seeds (Sunflower, pumpkin & pine nuts.)

12:30pm - 250g skinless breast fillet, 1 cup of brown rice, 1 1/2 cups of green vegetables. (Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, beans.)

3:00pm - 2 rice crackers with almond butter, 1 60g Max's cut carbs protein bar, 1 cup of mixed almonds and seeds.

5:00pm - Napalm pre-workout.

7:00pm - ON Gold standard Whey protein shake.

7:30pm - 250g skinless breast fillet, 1 cup of brown rice, 1 1/2 cups of green vegetables.

10:00pm - Right before bed; 200g Jalna No fat natural yogurt with a full scoop of ON Gold standard Whey mixed through.

Protein shakes are mixed with 200ml of 99.9% fat free devondale milk.

Thanks for reading,
Zach

Hello Zach,

Your question of
Is my caloric intake high enough?
... can very easily be answered by asking a counter question: Are you gaining from what you're eating?
Your reply would determine your answer.

Fadi.

In regards to your question Fadi answered it. If you are trying to lose weight then 0.5kg per week is a good amount to be losing. if you won't to gain try for 0.5kg per fortnight as a newbie, this changes later. Also if asking about calories it is polite to work out and calculate your current calories first because no one wants to do that for you. Base calorie range of 35 calories per kilo is a good number to work from and then you adjust 10% +/- depending on your weight change per fortnight.

Diet wise that looks boring as hell though if you like that then stick with it. Meal frequency wise there is no need to eat that many meals unless it suits your lifestyle or allows you to comfortably get in your food if you have trouble eating large meals. You gain nothing from have more frequent eating like that.

Sorry I meant to mention that it's around 2600 calories. I don't mind the food it's easy to eat and the small meals help me keep my energy up all day and stop cravings and overeating.
I'm only 3 weeks in, havnt noticed any gains yet but I hear it takes 4-6 weeks initially?

Sorry I meant to mention that it's around 2600 calories. I don't mind the food it's easy to eat and the small meals help me keep my energy up all day and stop cravings and overeating.
I'm only 3 weeks in, havnt noticed any gains yet but I hear it takes 4-6 weeks initially?

Easily not enough calories to gain size. You will still get the newbie muscle.gain and small body fat loss but nothing more.

How fat are you, it changes your calorie needs.

I'm not really fat, have put on a little extra around my stomach over the past 12 months. Also revised my meals and took it up to 3250 calories, sound more reasonable. I have girth measurements at the gym.