• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

fat gripz and deadlift deload

pistachio

So, trying to decide how the best way to progress this year is, in terms of gaining muscle mass while staying lean.

I was going to just run 4 cycles of PPP, but there are a few issues with this. Firstly, my deadlift form is not fantastic. My back and hamstrings are getting ridiculously tight from the weight and I feel it is only a matter of time before I injure myself. On top of this, I am going to get myself a pair of fat gripz to try to improve my forearms (and grip strength in general), which should also have carryover effects in improving my traps (better grip strength can shrug more, etc)

So it would seem a solution to both of these issues is to drop my deadlift weight considerably and focus on form. Grip will be harder with the fat gripz which will be another good reason to go lighter.

I was thinking of maybe just doing 5x5 deadlifts each week and maybe try to just increase that week on week? But deload considerably, maybe down to 140kgs or so.

Does this sound like a good idea? I just don't want to injure myself by lifting too heavy with imperfect form, when strength isn't even really my goal anyway. I don't mind continuing PPP for bench as I feel my technique there is less susecptible to injury.

Take this with a grain of salt but i wouldn'y use gat gripz on deadlifts. l might use mine on db rows, shrugs, curls and possibly & chinups. Let me know how you get on using them with deadlifts though.

The point is tho, if I am going to deload deads to try to improve my form, it would also be a good time to use the grips as my grip strength should be strong enough to cope with the lighter load (but wider grip).

The question is whether a deload will limit my muscle gains.

why lessen the weight on an exercise that works 80% of your body for forearms?

don't be a phaggot.

i thought you died mr oli.

You will push more than 140 for 5x5, i think that will be too easy, but i cannot see a problem with it.

First two weeks back into proper training was 160 6 x 4 done with both overhand grip and then 170 6 x 4 both over hand grip. My grip was tested on these but didnt fail!

or..

straps

why lessen the weight on an exercise that works 80% of your body for forearms?

don't be a phaggot.

I too thought you were dead.

I'm not lessening the weight for forearms, i want to lessen it to get my form better. I think my form is ok at about 100kgs, anything heavier its all lower back.

Pulled 200kgs tonight with fairly good form, didn't want to push it much heavier than that, so did another single at 200.

i thought you died mr oli.

You will push more than 140 for 5x5, i think that will be too easy, but i cannot see a problem with it.

First two weeks back into proper training was 160 6 x 4 done with both overhand grip and then 170 6 x 4 both over hand grip. My grip was tested on these but didnt fail!

or..

straps

Even at 140 I notice my legs are still coming up first and its hard to keep my chest up. My deadlifts are almost entirely lower/middle back. On the plus side, my lower/middle back has some decent strength in it.

I can see your reasoning behind the use of the fat gripz Pistachio, and I think that if you increase your reps, like you said to 5x5 than you will prob increase your muscle mass. As long as you go as heavy as you can for 5x5 with fat grips, than you will be fine, so 140 may still be a bit light for you if you can pull 200. I can pull 160x1, and use 130 for 5x5 on my deads. But given the fact you will be using fat gripz, 140 may be a good starting point. Give it a go mate, don't injure yourself, remember more gains come from consistent lifting, injury only stuffs consistency, if you feel you may injure yourself continuing to train a certain way than stop. No-body knows you better than YOU.

Graeme