• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

All Blacks Gym sessions

^^ Speaking from experience?

As i said, throwing a punch is like making a rugby tackle. If you have never tackled or thrown a punch you won't understand.

Before i viewed the boxing part i said it might be for technique work, i was wrong. it was just for cardio as there was no technique in the boxing.

Watched documentary about beginner rugby, the coaches (well known english coaches) would get their beginners (no idea how to tackle at all) to do boxing sessions to learn to throw a punch to learn to use the whole body (especially shoulder and hips) to tackle.

I still think you're missing the point.

Why on earth would you use boxing to teach someone to tackle when it's cheaper/easier to just get them practising actual tackling?

brb going to go do boxing and improve my judo at the same time

Also, prowler sprints, or just general sprinting work would serve much better as conditioning for a rugby player than boxing anyway.

ps I have competitively boxed and also played AFL for almost 10 years so have done both. Doing boxing I would say my fitness was better than playing football, but the boxing didn't help my running much when I went back to football.

Last edited:

Why on earth would you use boxing to teach someone to tackle when it's cheaper/easier to just get them practising actual tackling?

Hamburgler you seem to know a lot about everything, yet no experience.

You've done boxing i believe? Do you just stand still and hit or do you actually use your whole body to throw a good punch.

You haven't done rugby, but ill tell you that you don't just stand still and shoulder them. You get low, tackle upwards, shoulder into stomach, arms around legs, whole body tackle.

I understand how you see it doesn't make sense. As i said before i saw it in a documentary where way more experienced and respectable coaches (coaching at international level, national level in england) got their beginner players to do some boxing to teach them to use the whole body to tackle. It worked.

edit - btw afl isn't tackling, its more just grabbing hold of them or running shoulder charge into them

and yes sprints/prowler might be better, they already do these. I have no idea why they did boxing im just making some suggestions.

Also, prowler sprints, or just general sprinting work would serve much better as conditioning for a rugby player than boxing anyway.

Hamburg your talking way to much sense for this forum.

Lift weights to get stronger and then your sport specific training is training for the sport itself.

If you want to tackle better practice tackling. Kicking, practice kicking, conditioning, run intervals. Punching do some boxing.

You've done boxing i believe? Do you just stand still and hit or do you actually use your whole body to throw a good punch.

You haven't done rugby, but ill tell you that you don't just stand still and shoulder them. You get low, tackle upwards, shoulder into stomach, arms around legs, whole body tackle.

I understand how you see it doesn't make sense. As i said before i saw it in a documentary where way more experienced and respectable coaches (coaching at international level, national level in england) got their beginner players to do some boxing to teach them to use the whole body to tackle. It worked.
You know what teaches you to get low and put your whole body trough the person. Tackling. Much more so than boxing does.

Full on beginners may make it useful to keep it fun and teach there basics of hip use. I actually hate it for a rugby/afl players conditioning as they over use boxing when there are better conditioning exercises.

Yeah for whatever reason they seem to think it is the be all and end all to conditioning.
"Don't do weights, don't run - boxing will fix everything!"

edit - btw afl isn't tackling, its more just grabbing hold of them or running shoulder charge into them

and yes sprints/prowler might be better, they already do these. I have no idea why they did boxing im just making some suggestions.

Of course you throw your whole body into punching. But you throw your whole body into push presses, olympic lifts, throwing a basketball, jumping, javelin, shot put, discus, hammer throw, keg tosses, tyre flips, running, skipping. Don't see the relevance of that?

And sure the English sides had success teaching them how to tackle after doing boxing, but would they have had more success teaching them to tackle from the out set? And how to do they measure success? Tackle rates? And did they have another 'study' where they didn't do any boxing? Did that group have a better tackle rate?

There are also far more similarities between tackling in the rugby codes and AFL than you're suggesting. The guy who looks after Storm (John Donohue) also looks after 2 or 3 AFL clubs including Collingwood. And you often hear about Storm and Pies players/officials talking to one another about tackling technique etc

Last edited:
Full on beginners may make it useful to keep it fun and teach there basics of hip use. I actually hate it for a rugby/afl players conditioning as they over use boxing when there are better conditioning exercises.

Yep sports clubs do way to much of this instead of just training for there sport. It looks good but is largely a waste of time. Another good one is swimming for footy training.

When I broke my foot playing footy I couldn't run but could ride a bike. I did heaps and was fit as for bike riding. When my foot was better went back to footy and could barely run for a couple minutes.

Put it this way

Two blokes one does boxing for 6 months the other does tackling drills for 6 months.

Put both on the rugby field, who would you put money on to be the better tackler.

i never said don't do tackling work. im just saying boxing may be useful. My experience, i have always been a decent tackler but really lacked a powerful tackle (if you know what i mean) (last year). I did tackle work + some bag work (really putting my body into the punch) over the holidays. hey hey, this year ive gotten comments from my coach about my tackles this year.

Now lets see. Ive done tackling for 5 years. Ive done some bag work for... a few months.

This is rugby union by the way. League is just shoulder charges and gang tackles

P
Put it this way

Two blokes one does boxing for 6 months the other does tackling drills for 6 months.

Put both on the rugby field, who would you put money on to be the better tackler.

With juniors this may not be true due to mental stimulation. A little bit of something different can help by getting them to think differently. Now should it be a lot of something different, no, but here and there can help. Anyone above ful beginner I think it should not be used.

i never said don't do tackling work. im just saying boxing may be useful. My experience, i have always been a decent tackler but really lacked a powerful tackle (if you know what i mean) (last year). I did tackle work + some bag work (really putting my body into the punch) over the holidays. hey hey, this year ive gotten comments from my coach about my tackles this year.

Now lets see. Ive done tackling for 5 years. Ive done some bag work for... a few months.

This is rugby union by the way. League is just shoulder charges and gang tackles

Out of curiosity did you start weights at the same time?

Out of curiosity did you start weights at the same time?

i started weights about 1 month before the school holidays, so yes i did start weights close to the same time.

personally i believe weight lifting helped more than boxing, but boxing did do a little bit. When i say boxing i just mean bag work in the garage.

i started weights about 1 month before the school holidays, so yes i did start weights close to the same time.

personally i believe weight lifting helped more than boxing, but boxing did do a little bit. When i say boxing i just mean bag work in the garage.
tumblr_ljyh4yDsoV1qzoi8i.png

now im no rugby player or boxer, but my bet goes to your weight training improved your tackling a whole lot more then the boxing. :)