• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

thoughts?

I was told if you are putting on fat then your not lifting heavy enough, this could explain the fat gain.
By that logic then, that means all heavyweight powerlifters are weak and don't push hard enough. Somehow, your wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes!

Burning fat is so simple:

Eat 500-1000 cals below maintenence
Get your protein requirements (1-1.5g per pound bw)
Do heavy lifting (preserve muscle)
Do cardio (helps create caloric deficit, burns fat)
Take a good multi vitamin, fish oils

Not much to it! But the discipline to do that consistently for weeks on the other hand...

This is absolutely right.

Also, dont mind some of the people on here, they feel they have to overkill a point - which makes u tend to dismiss it. They mean well (I think).

To be honest, putting on 10kg of muscle is impressive, especially if you found it hard to do so. You can either do the 4-2 split between bulk and stripping. Or do a full on stripping phase, and return to bulk afterwards (common to mega weight lifting PRO's).

Its up to you which you would go for. Maybe easier to do full on stripping phase, you will get shredded, then bulk again. Depends on when you wanna do this. Or your motives etc. Either way, I think cutting down on eating a bit less will help you regardless. There are sites which can detail your basal metabolic rate and also the calories gained/lost. Maybe consider looking into that. Its a bit of work, but chances are you could be consuming less while gaining more, and probably slowly losing weight.

By that logic then, that means all heavyweight powerlifters are weak and don't push hard enough. Somehow, your wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

I see your point Morgan, although it could mean they eat a lot more than their intense training even requires. They can still be STRONG.

I think related to this topic, its still valid.
1. 80kg deadlifts.
2. Gaining fat.

It is right to a degree, if you are eating up to put on size but are not training right then you will just get fatter more easily than you should. Elite powerlifters train their asses off so they are easily out of the equation.

No don't buy that book. My mate bought it for around $40 I think? The book gives sound advice, but you can EASILY find the same advice for free from good sources.

Burning fat is so simple:

Eat 500-1000 cals below maintenence
Get your protein requirements (1-1.5g per pound bw)
Do heavy lifting (preserve muscle)
Do cardio (helps create caloric deficit, burns fat)
Take a good multi vitamin, fish oils

Not much to it! But the discipline to do that consistently for weeks on the other hand...

Yeah it is expensive, but we are in the 21st century finding stuff is easy - hey that reminds i've got burn the fat feed the muscle as a pdf.

thanks for some of the responses. For the ***** saying im not lifting hard enough and just putting on fat, you are wrong. I didn't say im just putting on fat, my strength and muscle mass has been going up, but at the same time I've been adding a bit of extra fat from keeping my calories up (not a lot of extra fat). I will give HIIT a go for 2-4 weeks and see what happens, and continue to monitor my diet closely.

I'll also try and up the weight on my deadlifts this week, maybe I have more strength than I believe just havent been confident enough? Having said that, all the guys that have said I'm not deadlifting enough bench a lot more than me anyway? I don't quite understand why people who are bigger and stronger than me overall would give me shit because my overall strength isn't as big as theirs?

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ, the guys on here are helpful, noobs is very helpful, you're just interpreting the comments incorrectly as being a personal attack on you. Deadlift is an exrecise that you can increase the weights reasonably quickly in the early stages i.e. 5/10kg increments per week is what I found.

If you're doing 80x8, try lifting at a 5 rep range. Within a few weeks you should get up to 120+. Stronger lifting will help with muscle gain, 80x8 is quite light weight for a dl, and wont achieve a great deal.

DJ, the guys on here are helpful, noobs is very helpful, you're just interpreting the comments incorrectly as being a personal attack on you. Deadlift is an exrecise that you can increase the weights reasonably quickly in the early stages i.e. 5/10kg increments per week is what I found.

If you're doing 80x8, try lifting at a 5 rep range. Within a few weeks you should get up to 120+. Stronger lifting will help with muscle gain, 80x8 is quite light weight for a dl, and wont achieve a great deal.

I'm sure he can be helpful, I'm not "intepreting" anything. It's quite obvious he is taking the piss out of me.

I almost feel like we are talking about two different exercises though, there are a lot of decent sized people in my gym, and I don't often see people deadlifting 150kg+?

I almost feel like we are talking about two different exercises though, there are a lot of decent sized people in my gym, and I don't often see people deadlifting 150kg+?

maybe.. ive only just started doing DLs in the last 4 weeks I started on 8x85 (my body weight) up to 8x125 now im by no means strong..
does seem a little strange that you have been lifting for a few years and only at 80kg with a bw of 94ish?

do any of the big boys on here have a video of THEMSELVES doing deadlifts? I'd like to see someone from the actual forum doing them so I can see the size vs strength. Also, you guys aren't including the bar weight in your total lift are you? I add 80kg to the bar, not sure how much it weighs?

Mate no offense but you don't need to know jackshit about lifting to be able to figure out that you add the weight of the bar to determine how much you've lifted. It's usually 20kg for an olympic barbell.

Check out Haz's journal he's lifted 210 I think. Trofius, amac38 are others who I think have deadlifted 150+.

These are the guys that have posted vids of it, there would be others but can't think of them off the top of my head. JDizzle too, I think he lifts pretty heavy. I dunno, I cbf reading all the journals there are too many of them these days.

Last edited:
Mate no offense but you don't need to know jackshit about lifting to be able to figure out that you add the weight of the bar to determine how much you've lifted. It's usually 20kg for an olympic barbell.

? Why's it any different to bench? Most people I know talk about the weight they bench, not including the bar..? In that case im deadlifting 100kg.

So you are lifting 100 for 8, still bery light for your time training and bw. Ive seen blokes pull the same 1st time pulling. What limits you; back, legs or grip?
Posted via Mobile Device

You're talking to the wrong people then. Pay more attention to the people on here. Like me for example. Check out my 'DKD's Beginner Routine' for an excellent introduction to guaranteed fast muscle gains.

So you are lifting 100 for 8, still bery light for your time training and bw. Ive seen blokes pull the same 1st time pulling. What limits you; back, legs or grip?
Posted via Mobile Device

definately grip, I just started using straps to help out, but even then I feel it's a bit tough. I'm doing deadlifts on wednesday, I will experiment with some more weight and see how it goes, and what difficulties i have. Cheers.

Cut the straps now or you will forever have a grip problem, just keep lifting heavier and heavier and you will be fine. Also I doubt you can only pull 100kg, try for a proper max one day you will probably find you can do 150kg.

Speaking of vids DJ, your nemesis (evil Dr n00bs) has posted a vid of himself somewhere deadlifting a decent amount. Get a bucket ready though, he's as ugly as a hatful of assholes!

Yeah deadlifts arent as popular as they should be. Apparently squats/deadlifts, through utilizing more than 1/2 of your bodys muscles, also signifigantly increases your testosterone. Which as we all know, leads to faster muscle growth and better gains.