• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ptc ppp

Ah I reread and see stupid me.

Hey Defranco started out in a smaller 'gym' than you and just like you he has built it up to where he is, sadly for you america is more strength orientated than us, but hey i'll guess you will just have to educate who you can.

Personally I am looking to work with older people to improve quality of life (osteoporosis, arthritis etc) but if I wasn't I would have loved to start up a strength and conditioning centre, later on, similar to yours or Defranco's ideas. Hard work, smart training, emphasising strength for both performance and injury prevention is sadly under utilised or poorly utilised in Australia. The more gyms like yours the better, I believe there is an Underground Strength Gym in Oakleigh that just started up (kind of franchise of Zack Even-Esh's gyms from the US). Athletes here could really do with some of your work before becoming professional, as you said they have boys bodies. Look at Melbourne's ruckman from the other year, they are giving him a few years to be a starter due to his bodily development (slightly special case due to his height BUT if he started earlier in his teens he could be ready by now).

The guys name is Jack Watts and he was always going number 1 or 2 in the draft.

I've known about Jack because of basketball, he was the best in Australia, in fact he was at the AIS and walked out to play football.

Why didnt he start lifting then? He and Melbourne have wasted 2 seasons. He is not that tall, he is a forward not a ruckman.

I dont believe there is a chance of a Defrancos type gym in Melbourne unfortunately.

By that I mean no softcocks at all allowed, its a pure strength and conditioning gym for athletes. Softcocks dilute the experience some what, but they pay the bucks, athletes dont, what a stupid situation.

I'm generalizing here, I have some tremendous lifters who travel an hour each way 3 x week to lift at PTC, not enough of them sadly.

Softcocks dilute the experience some what, but they pay the bucks, athletes dont, what a stupid situation.

Athletes know all that it takes is effort.Softcocks go through life thinking that paying for results is getting results.Paying someone to build your house and watching them do it for you is not the same as paying someone to build you a new body and sitting back and watching them do it for you.
Best statement I`ve read for ages.

P.S.

Thanks for the new sig Markos!!

I dont believe there is a chance of a Defrancos type gym in Melbourne unfortunately.

That is a terrible shame. If a place like that could succeed I would probably have a crack at opening one. What an amazing thing to train athletes all day.

You can always make a go of it and see. You would need to have good connections and get in with the junior representative footy clubs and try to talk up and coming players (and parents) into idea but it could be done with the right personality and approach.

I've spoken to 2 coaches from the TAC cup, it aint going to happen through the clubs or coaches.

Its the parents we need to educate, they pay and drive the kids, because they need to be 17.

They wont pay. Max is training a boxer. He had to wait to get his licence so he could drive down to train with Max, he now comes twice a week.

So many kids have seen Max transform himself, they all want to come train, only one of them does, Blake. Max trains Daryl for free.

Two other boys, soccer player and footballer stopped coming without even a call lol

Its a tough industry. Max is finding out first hand.

Yep it sucks, they will let their kids go and train in a shithole gym doing whatever but give a bit more money to someone who knows what they are doing and will help them out and nnnnooooo.

I could fill a book with stories.

I coach junior basketball. I have kids that have zero athletic ability. The parents comment on Max and Jesse, faster and stronger.

I tell them they lift weights, its quite obvious Max does lol

So they hook their kids up with PT's closer to home, then tell me how well theyre doing.

I know theyre not, but I ask how much they squat, pull, clean and press overhead. I already know the answer, but I wait anyway

" We dont do those exercises, we bench press, curl and use the pec dec"

I'm not making this shit up.

One boy cant jump over the painted lines, he is 198cm, and he watches Max hang off the ring off a step at 175cm.

His trainer has him do no leg work because he needs to get faster.

And some get annoyed when I criticize PT's

Not much you can do is there, besides maybe educating some of the stupid ass PT's. I can't blame their education as I know many people who have done my exercise science undergrad course and would still train people the same as those PT's. Not enough applied strength training education and people still stuck in junk ways of training.

that's amazing. I can see how curls help a basketball player. I mean...there's a lot of situations when you need to do some sort of a curling movement when on the court. The same can be said for the pec dec. The same can ALSO be said for tricep kick backs

I always did curls on the basketball court you know to show off my biceps to the girls. Very important I might add to a 15 year old

His trainer has him do no leg work because he needs to get faster.

And some get annoyed when I criticize PT's

Haven't studies found that the basis of speed is muscle force production? Sprinters focusing on squat variations/posterior chain hint hint?

Related to the above, any and every fitness professional should be working on at least a basis of evidence based practise. Especially those coming from a degree background, it's practically drilled into you (3rd year ex and sport sci student here ). Having said that, most of my degree is based on aerobic training and clinical application... my disappointment with this is a totally different topic, however

Just to get a little bit back on topic, how long have your lifters been on the program and how have they faired so far Markos?

Moon, power production is a combination of speed and strength, that is what you are getting at. You want the mid point where speed and strength are allowing as much power to be produced per foot strike and per second for a sprinter, as an example. The more strength you have the more force you can can apply for a given speed, technically. This is not perfect as you still need to train your ability to produce for maximally, ie power training. See Zatsiorksy's Science and Practice of Strength Training (should be in your uni's library) for a more in depth and better explanation.

Most around 5 weeks, less than 5% failure rate.

Simmo pulled 182.5kg x 3 yesterday. He has deadlifted 180kg + on 2 occasions prior, he has less than 4 months total lifting experience.

Nick squatted 185kg x 5 or something, Max and Alen are attempting 200kg squat/110kg bench/220kg deadlift.....no sign of failure, doing it easily. If they succeed that will make them incredibly strong raw lifters.Max close gripped his bench PB easily, so thats up.

Nina, Vicki,Annie and Dimi havent failed, all on week 4-5, in fact Nina rack pressed 90kg x 4 @ 60kg the other night.

So far so good, but a few tough weeks lay ahead.

Keep us updated, I would really like to see how they have progressed over the first 11 week cycle. Might have to buy a copy and pore over it and learn a few things.

First off, thanks to everyone that ordered this program, the response has been overwhelming.

I have had quite a few questions, so I'll do my best at answering them here. Feel free to ask more questions that I may have missed.

Firstly, the program is designed to work on the squat/bench/dead.

Some think that we work these 3 lifts at the exclusion of everything else. They obviously havent read the program.

We still do military press, powerclean, stiff leg deadlifts, dips, chins etc, its just these lifts are done as assistance exercises. This doesnt devalue them, its just that these arent the focus of driving up the big numbers.

The 3 exercises selected for this are the squat/bench/dead. This is where the most benefit will lie.

When selecting your new target PB, I suggest a 10kg increase on the bench, 15kg on the squat and 20kg on the deadlift.

Everyone will be different. The beauty of the program that IT will tell you at roughly week 4 where you should have started.

Everyone will eventually have a failure, thats normal and to be expected.

So what do we do? You simply have another crack at the same week next session. If you bench on Wednesday, and you miss 85 x 5, you simply try that same workout the following Wednesday.

Alternatively, you can try it on a Saturday if you include a 4th workout during the week.

What if you train twice a week? Easy, deadlift and bench on one day, squat on the other.

How important is assistance exercise? I believe it will only help, as long as you eat enough to recover. Plenty of lifters exclude assistance work and still get stronger. If you eat enough and have time, do it.

Which assistance exercises do I choose?
Change them each session, that seems to work for most.

What if I want to train on a fourth day, what do I do?
I suggest front squats, powercleans, military press, rows. I am currently coming up with a BENCH SPECIALIZATION PROGRAM to be done with the PPP program, which calls for 2 days of benching, the second day can be your fourth workout. The weights/sets/reps are vastly different in the BSP, I just need a few more weeks of testing before I make it available.

Why BSP. Its the most popular lift, easier to recover from benching than deadlifting etc.

Will I be doing special programs for squat and deadlift? Yes

Can you do the specialization stuff year round?
No

Can I specialize on more than one lift at a time?
No

The idea would be to specialize once per year on each lift if you are balanced, or 3 times if you are extremely poor on one lift.

How important is eating? Very, not for transformation reasons, just for recovery reasons.

Heres reality, no one is going to bench press 180kg weighing 65kg, raw. As your weights increase, so should your bodyweight.

What if I dont want to get heavier?
Then dont, just set your standards a little lower, 10kg jumps and 5kg on the bench. Alen has set a 32.5kg jump on the squat, and he's increasing his bodyweight to increase his chance of success.

What if I fail a week on 3-4 occasions?
Re-asses, choose a smaller jump. Or eat more.

Can I do all 3 lifts on the same day?
Yes, but I dont recommend doing that more than twice a week or for a month, unless you really know how to eat.

What about cardio? Do some sprints after your squats and deadlifts.

How long can I do this program for?
Till your sick of being strong

Will this program make me bigger?
No program makes you bigger, food makes you bigger. This program will make stronger and give your body a reason to grow, now go feed it

Will I get as strong as Nick?
Dont be stupid, nobody will get as strong as Nick

What if I want to train on a fourth day, what do I do? I suggest front squats, powercleans, military press, rows.

If you are doing the program as Squats/Bench/Deads on Mon/Wed/Fri, if you were also to do a Saturday, would it still be ok to do power cleans and rows the day after deadlifts?

Or can squat day and deadlift day be swapped around?

Or, do you do powercleans and rows on deadlift day and do different exercises on the fourth day (Saturday) ?

Thanks
Adrian

All of those options would work Adrian.

The weight on cleans is quite low compared to deadlifts, it may be beneficial to do them the next day for a light day recovery for the lower back