• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

making own pre workout drink

LeighG92

hey guys, im new to this site but thought i might as well ask anyways seen as its one of the reasons i signed up,

I just ordered a bunch of stuff off of bulk nutrients and wondered if anyone has worked out there own recipe with amounts etc. and if this stuff is the right stuff, sorry just been reading about how its cheaper and more effective to make your own, and really have no idea where to start haha. Cheers

L TAURINE - 250g
L ARGININE - 250g
CREATINE MONOHYDRATE - 250g
CITRULLINE MALATE - 250g
BETA ALANINE - 250g
CAFFEINE ANHYDROUS - 20g
Amino Acid Flavouring - flavours 1kg of Amino Acids - Raspberry
L GLUTAMINE - 250g

thanks again.

My recipe would be:

90 mins pre-workout have complex carbs and protein (eg. chicken and brown rice)

20-30 mins pre-workout drink:

- 500 mL Gatorade (or pineapple / grapefruit juice)
- 500 mg citrulline malate
- 400 mg creatine mono
- 5000 mg EEA's
- 1200 mg sea salt
- 2000 mg ACAI Powder

p.s NO CAFFEINE!!!

Last edited:
haha cheers dude, why no caffeine?

because we are not endurance athletes...

And our CNS is already coping a beating from heavy lifting.

Add to that the fact it increases adrenaline thus cortisol and cortisol is catabolic...

Well you get the picture.

similar to jim, except if u are buggered from previous workout, add glutamine serve-I just spoon 5g with a shake, or add it (level tsp). Maybe add caffeine, depending on what sorts of work you do. If you do a small rep range, probably not. But if you are on a stripping phase, or doing reps 10+ I would have caffeine with it.

Yep, I use caffeine or have caffeine/stimulants prior to training. I cycle it, and don't have it every day (3x weekly) as your body of course, will adapt to it. The equivalent of having a strong espresso (100-200mg of caffeine should do the trick) obviously pending your tolerance.

There will be mixed opinions on cortisol, being catabolic and what not (technically, it is) - but i've found the extra amount of intensity I train with to far outweigh the slight impact cortisol and other stressor hormones alike will have on me. There are many other more important things to worry about than whether a relatively small dose of caffeine prior to a workout is going negate growth (clearly hasn't for me, in 5 years i've gone from 78kg to 93kg and maintained that a further 4 years)

The bigger issues are: Sleep, nutrition and your training. If you haven't got those in check, worrying about what's in your pre-workout won't make a difference. If your pre and post workout nutrition is in check, you won't have any issues with cortisol.

Obviously, like with everything, there's an individual component to it. Some people are overtly sensitive to caffeine -they jitter, don't get any focus and generally should avoid it. For others (like myself) it generates a short term burst clarity and enhances my training (weightlifting, MMA alike). It may or may not have a beneficial affect, tread with caution & see how you go.

Further reading, see if it's for you:

Last edited:
cheers for your help guys, appreciate it definately gunna swap the l arginine for aakg dumb mistake gettin that stuff haha n yer startin to notice with caffeine the drinks been losing it kick so might try it without it next time .