• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Depression A nutritional Disorder

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
Im always one to think outside of the box, If we kept inside it the world would still be flat and disease would be caused from magic voodoo and potions..

good article. i think it is a bit of leap or overly simplistic to conclude that depression is entirely a nutritional disorder. but i do believe that a good diet is a very strong contributing factor that should be considered good maintenance / practice for those that may be susceptiable or have a personal or family history of depression in the same way that not smoking dope should be considered good maintenance for someone who has a family history of mental illness.

Good reply Puff. There would be a link but depression is still a mental health problem not a nutritional problem. Poor nutrition may lead to getting depression easier, longer, more intense and better nutrition may help you get out of it, but, it is not the only problem. Just another reason why everyone should not be eating at the fish and chip shop or maccas everyday.

Yes there are multiple issues that can lead to 1 major problem...

Lifestyle is a term that is a conbination of all the problems.

Now you start taking those problems away you can get a better view of how to treat the problem.

I personally beliece SNRI's and SSRI's are not the long term answer.

I believe dr's over look the importance of hormones and minerals to mental health.

I will be attending a seminar in july regaridng the use of hair mineral analysis in determing factors to mood and mental disorders, being affected by these myself (genetily) it is of great interest to me.

When you look at it chemicaly the precurrsors to serotonin and dopamine are amino acids.. and they are nutritional elements.

My panic disorder is less now then when i was on double my medication and i soon hope to be totally off it since i have fixed my diet and lifestyle and in the process of correcting my hormonal issues.

I think n00bs was getting at the point that it's a combination.

I don't think the article expresses his sole view. I also think the article is poorly written in the way it refers to other treatments. I would make one of my students re-write it.

I've noticed good doctors, psychologists etc, will usually help you treat the symptoms to survive the short term, but work with you to find the underlying cause and create a better long term.

That's why you should be careful in picking your professionals. I like to look for people with a varied background that would give them different views and give them the chance to think for themselves.

You have low test and experience depression? I see a link here Noobs :0 Anti depressants etc are not the answer to peoples long term problems, in your case you could be deficient in important hormones due to a disease (which you have) or poor nutrition (not saying you eat badly just you may not be getting enough of what you need or you need more than a normal person due to absorption or metabolism factors etc). I know you already know this but some doctors seem not to, or just do not want to look into the long term fix and go for short term, or are just ignorant of somethings and think its crap, or like getting their money from drug companies, i could go on and on.

Apie, I was referring totally to the article as Noobs had not expressed an opinion, and you are right it was poorly written. I also find that when expressing your opinion in an article you tend to be biased and make what the article is about more important than anything else, hence this article could have been good but showed too much bias to get his point across.

A very old expression.

You are what you eat.

I've always felt diet is a huge factor.

Bob Hoffman, always wrote food is medicine, any ailment can be traced back to some dietary defficiancy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well yes that is my problem is it the chicken or the egg, did panic disorder cause depression thus causing a hormonal imbalance accentuated by SNRI's that have an effect on p450 liver detoxificaiton causing a back log in oestrogen metabolism thus taking over t receptors?

Or did an undiagnosed hormonal imbalance cause depression and coupled by insulin problems due to hormonal issues lead to panic attacks leading to depression and the use of SNRIs as a way to mask symtpoms? I ate shit constantly and drank alot So lifestyle problems as well..

I will state that my panic disorder kicked in at 13yo so puberty, now is that a strange coincidence? Or the answer to the quesiton?

The fact is. No one knows... We like to think we know alot about the body when in fact we know very little and in 100 years time people will look back and think "shit you seirous they thought that?".

Last night i could not sleep unless i got up and ate an easter egg from the fridge. I have had symtpoms of almost passing out thene aitng and becominginstantly fine. Coming back from a tirp from canberra i thought i was going to have to pull into a town and find a hospital as i couldnot explain what was happening to me. I ate something and had a drink and then was instantly fine.

I don't think he's suggesting that depression is a completely nutritional disorder but it may play a factor in some cases. And the article is very well sourced, great stuff to think about.