• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cortisol..

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
Starting to think my green tea with ginseng in my pre workout drink might not be such a good idea. Thank you to Fadi for bringing the importance of this hormone to the surface. Just about every company sells some super anabolic caffinated super beverage to consume pre or during workouts.

Might not be the best idea..

From what i have read caffine from a single coffee can elevate cortisol levels by 30% for a period of 12 hours..

Hmm..
Can you explain in simple terms why cortisol is bad around training times?

I've been using a pre-workout supp for a couple of weeks ("Jacked") , feel like I need it now to train at that same level..
Although, I feel like I'm becoming reliant on it, and will stop using it so regularly.. Maybe I need to find something else to down pre-workout, even if it is just for the placebo effect (which maybe the majority of what I experience with Jacked anyway).

Hmm..
Can you explain in simple terms why cortisol is bad around training times?

Because around training times (or anytime the body views as stressful), cortisol (a catabolic hormone) will be released. It's the stress hormone just like another stress hormone that I'm sure you've heard of Raphsta called adrenaline. That one is released when you go into a stressful situation also but its release is as fast as lightning; giving you power and strength beyond your wildest dreams, especially when you're been chased by a bullterrier. I think at that time you'll be capable of flying! No wonder Both of these hormone would go for the easiest short cut to provide you with quick (bloody quick) energy and that means muscle glycogen and amino acids.

Our aim is to minimise the impact cortisol has on our muscles at training times; hence we counteract it with the most powerful anabolic hormone of all: insulin.

PS: Shukran Noobs for that article; well done.

Fadi.

On the topic of cortisol, if yours is very high, what can be done to lower it?? This is something I have been battling with doctors for quite some time to try and resolve but they seem to tell me that having high cortisol is good as it helps you to get lean and they brush it off, but in my case it affects my energy levels, my hormone levels and defers muscle development. this is all bought on from the prolonged use of cortisone tablets growing up to help rebuild collapsed lungs. i did suffer from side affects of prolonged cortisone as well. is there ways apart from "trying not to stress" that can help to decrease cortisol levels??

Thanks for the explanation Fadi !

I think I was undermining my training by waking up in the morning, downing a caffeine based pre-workout drink - and not even eating... I'm now focusing on getting some real nutrition into my system prior to the workout...

Nothing like nitric ocide in the morning, na lol. Good to see you sorted that out.

I always cycle my supplements, say 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off.